SK boards for ASL scenarios?

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hey,
Just curious if there would be a "problem" with playing ASL scenarios
that used SK boards? Would it limit the "playability" of the scenario(s)?
chris olden

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It would limit it less than using the boards from CoB or WoA. At least these are available. Once the boards are available individually (or better yet, once I get the entire package of SK boards), it will be no problem.

I think it might be good to have some that use the maps from BV for those graduating from SKs

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"Just curious if there would be a "problem" with playing ASL scenarios
that used SK boards? Would it limit the "playability" of the scenario(s)"

I do not think there would be any problem. After all there is an ASL scenario in the the newest Journal that uses a SK board.

I mean the terrain may be somewhat limited, but once play starts who would really notice.

Peace

Roger

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hey,
I guess I missed that one in the new Journal.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the feedback.
co

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I thought it was a great idea on MMPs part, as they included the board.

Also I think there are two SP scenarios with SK boards.

Peace

Roger

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
no reason to create problems where they don't exists!
SK boards are good for ASL scenarios.
They should be available and sold a part, however.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hey,
What I was trying to ask was if the SK boards not being part of the
"official" ASL board library would present a problem if ASL scenarios
using the SK boards were designed/published?
I guess I figured that not everyone who plays ASL has purchased
the SK sets...I could be wrong though.:D
chris olden

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Just curious if there would be a "problem" with playing ASL scenarios
that used SK boards?

No problem whatsoever. I considered this a feature of the latest Scwherpunkt packs as they had a couple of scenarios that used SK boards. I played those first as I was insured to play on terrain that I had never played on before. There are some great maps in the SK's.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There was a thread a few months back where a few people blasted the idea because SK stuff is not 'official' ASL stuff (TPP might not get lynched for it though). I think it started with 'how do you like Journal 7' and spiralled into the abyss after that. It left me somewhat bemused - but that happens a lot here.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There was a thread a few months back where a few people blasted the idea because SK stuff is not 'official' ASL stuff (TPP might not get lynched for it though). I think it started with 'how do you like Journal 7' and spiralled into the abyss after that. It left me somewhat bemused - but that happens a lot here.
I'm one of those who has a major problem with SK boards being used in ASL scenarios. I made it quite clear why of the thread you mentioned. And I would go into it again now but I'm on my way out the door to playtest a scenario that definitely DOESN'T use SK boards. If this thread continues along the moronic lines of "OH, it's O.K., go ahead and use them", I'll utterly devastate and rip it to shreds like a rabid dog when I get home! :blab:

morrigu

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allthough I don't teh starter kits or the boards in them, I think its okay to use them. Even if Glennbo rips me apart :)

One the one hand, people scream for more boards (see the Board-Pack-Thread), and on the other hand they don't want scenarios to be designed on new boards that are available. This seems somewhat contradictory to me.

Maybe, when SK3 (the last one :D ) comes out, MMP will offer a SK-Map-Bundle that has all SK maps.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if this *will* really be a problem... but I think I know what scenario some people are concerned about.

If you are an ASL player and DON'T by the SKs... because you don't need to learn the rules... then you won't have the boards.

If there are cool *official* ASL scenarios using the boards then you won't be able to play them.

So... when SK X comes out... and it is a flop from the critics point of view, it will still sell out because ASL players will want the boards so they don't miss out on future cool scenarios.

MMP gets to have their cake and eat it too! But CoB reprint is still waiting....

MMP just needs to make the SK boards available seperate from the SKs.

JT

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Preorder the map bundle....you get 'em all.

Like it or not (I'm personally not a big fan of the idea) there are going to be ASL scenarios designed on SL boards.

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Few Returned has a scenario which uses an ASLSK board, and it's an awesome scenario.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Few Returned has a scenario which uses an ASLSK board, and it's an awesome scenario.
Why on earth would you design a scenario that uses pieces that Starter Kit beginers don't own, and uses boards that experienced ASL players don't own? Oh, that's right, I forgot...you expect everyone to be a freak like you who owns everything! :rolleyes:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I say use 'em. Its more boards. I just finnished "Lacking Coordination" from SP12. It uses 2 SK boards. Very good scenario. Being on SK boards did not detract in any way.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm one of those who has a major problem with SK boards being used in ASL scenarios. I made it quite clear why of the thread you mentioned. And I would go into it again now but I'm on my way out the door to playtest a scenario that definitely DOESN'T use SK boards. If this thread continues along the moronic lines of "OH, it's O.K., go ahead and use them", I'll utterly devastate and rip it to shreds like a rabid dog when I get home! :blab:
I'm guessing you actually consume more coffee than I do....

Which is awsome!

(Yeah, It would be nice if MMP offered the SK boards seperately. I might not have bought the SKs then, and just the boards.)