Size of Units????

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

I need your help badly. I am developing a small scenario as a purely test run. It's my first attempt at such thing. It contains a little bit of everything so that I could learn how to do different editors such as event engine, force editor, etc. It will probably only last ten or less turns. the map is a small Island torn apart by a civil war.

Now, I need to know the differences in platoon, company, battlation, regiment, divisions, crops, etc.

I have no idea what size is for each size above. Is squad consists of say 30 men? So if that squad equals to 30 men, then three squads would consist a company or what?

And what's the proper way to form a military unit. For example, how would you form a division? Like I want an infantry company, so therefore it contains say 100 rifle squads with what? Do I put in recon units or a command group or what?

How do you form a HQ unit properly so it looks realistic. Mind you, my scenario is completely unrealistic, but I'm learning as I go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cheetah772

Panzerpelle

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The best way to learn is to goto the design section here or to tdg design group and check out finnished TOE for variuos units.

Generally it goes like this:

1 squad (8-20 men, usually around 10)
1 platoon (3-4 squads)
1 company (3-4 platoons)
1 battalion (3 companies sometimes 4)
1 Regiment (3 battalions sometimes 4)
1 Division (3 Regiments or 3 Brigades)

1 Brigade (3-4 battalions w/support units like arty, AT ...) differs from a Regiment in the way that its usually meant to fight independently with out divisional support units.

The exact composion of unit varies depending on country and time period...

Note the TOAW is build around the conception of a squad. There for its note wise to use a units total number of men and divide by ten to get the number of squads....Read the manual for more info...