Sissukoni 2019

carlsson

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello guys!

We will be three swedes arriving by car friday morning (after a wet night at the Silja Line ferry from Stockholm :D ); Andreas Carlsson, Lars-Robert Gregorson and Martin Björkhem.
We have rented an apartment 3 km from the playing site.
I will also bring the store (Trojan Games) with me. If you want to preorder something, just let me know. Especially if you want to order Raaco's.
Unfortunately we have to leave by 1500 at sunday due to the ferry back to Stockholm.

One question; When does the playing site open at friday (ie, when can we bring our playing gear)?

We are looking forward to see you all!

Tärvä,
/Andreas :)

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I need to start a Go Fund Me to get you plane tickets / room every year.
No need for this, I am stupid enough to use the 1500 euro needed to travel to Cleveland to show everyone I suck in ASL.

I will be there every time I can arrange the holidays.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
We will be three swedes arriving by car friday morning (after a wet night at the Silja Line ferry from Stockholm :D ); Andreas Carlsson, Lars-Robert Gregorson and Martin Björkhem.
This posting is very disconcerting to me. Since I started playing ASL three years ago I have played more severely alcohol-impaired persons at Scandinavian tournaments than I had wins at ASLOK last year (and I was not THAT bad). Recently I had a morning/mid-day game with a guy who got so drunk that I had to move his stacks AND roll his dice while he teased me that he did not want to concede (I won and he went to bed).

It should be stated that I have never played a drunkard at a tournament in Finland, Germany, the UK or the US. There is alcohol at tournaments, sometimes in large amounts, but to 90% AFTER the last game of the day or during the last turn or two.

I find it an affront to your opponent who has payed good money for travel, lodging and registration if you are not your best and are either drunk or recovering from a severe hangover during your games.

I like beer from many countries, good wine from many countries and hard liquor from almost all countries, but I never drink and drive, and I never drink and play ASL. I am seriously considering dropping some of the lesser Scandinavian tournaments due to this problem, and the lack of action from the side of the TD's (ASL Open in Copenhagen has introduced an official Alcohol Policy due to a recent event, and so I very much look forward to that tournament).

The Magnus

PS. For the non-locals: Finland - where Sissukoni takes place - is not part of Scandinavia. It is "just" a Nordic country. Finns are (in-)famous for drinking alcohol, but in my experience not very much at Sissukoni. I think it is because they have too much fun as it is.

PPS. Dear Sissukoni TD's: For the first game please do not pair me with a Swede with a severe hangover.

carlsson

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Dear Magnus, I haven't seen it that way. Thanks for your opinion.
(Are you sure you're talking about several persons, or one person (actually two, when I think about it)?)

BTW; We (as in Supporting Fire) will apply the same alcohol policy that ASO now has.

Talking about it, you know about the official sports drink at Sissukoni, right? ;)

See you in two weeks. I will not garantuee that I'm perfectly sober, but I will enjoy meeting you!

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
(Are you sure you're talking about several persons, or one person (actually two, when I think about it)?)

BTW; We (as in Supporting Fire) will apply the same alcohol policy that ASO now has.

Talking about it, you know about the official sports drink at Sissukoni, right? ;)
Well, I am talking about three separate persons at three separate tournaments, two totally drunk and one noticeable impaired. And I am not counting the fourth incident at a fourth tournament where one of the three abovementioned men threw the board and all counters into the air when he realized that he was loosing, as I do not know whether he was impaired or just a middle-aged immature man. And I am not talking about the persons who led ASL Copenhagen to institute their alcohol policies, as I did not play these persons during that session. So I do believe that some local "players" see tournaments as the opportunity to drink away from their significant others, and I do view this as both sad and inconsiderate towards other participants.

I laude your decision to implement the ASO alcohol policy at Supporting Fire, I will continue attending that event. As for other Swedish events, I remain sceptical.

No, I do not know the "official sports drink" at Sissukoni :). But being in Finland, I can guess. Though whatever it is I did not see much consumption of it last year.

Looking forward to playing you on Saturday or Sunday (but hopefully not Friday :)).

The Magnus

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It should be stated that I have never played a drunkard at a tournament in Finland, Germany, the UK or the US.
It does happen over here Magnus. Derek at Double One provided a free bar in 2013 and the front cover of this VFTT shows Gerard trying to play ASL after drinking one bottle of wine:

Unsurprisingly he lost ? You were lucky you missed that one.

After that Derek stopped the free bar and went to free pizza instead.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
No, I do not know the "official sports drink" at Sissukoni :). But being in Finland, I can guess. Though whatever it is I did not see much consumption of it last year.
I'm not part of the Sissukoni organizers but I was a part of it for long time. I know some of the history and personalities involved in SW and DK tourney scene although sadly I have not been in position to attend any of the Nordic events during latest years.

So I think know a thing or two about the issues Magnus is raising here.

The current location of Sissukoni is a restaurant licensed to serve alcohol. Paradoxically this solves part of the problem - it is not legal to drink your own so you have to order everything from the restaurant staff at restaurant prices and you also have to be in reasonable shape for them to serve you alcohol.

Also the Finnish community used to have this "I got away from home so I will get completely drunk" Issue earlier. About ten years there was a big discussion of this and this lead to current status where there is more focus on the game and good time. Some people did not like this line of thinking this but nowadays those persons attend the Finnish meetings rarely if ever.

Personally I am happy that things are now for the better. I am still to make my comeback to the Nordic tournament scene outside of Finland, lets see if I finally make it this year.

But, all in all I think we will have a good time, all of us.

Hoping to play either of you, Friday Saturday or Sunday :) Actually I think Andreas I think we have played 10+ ago in ASO?

Last edited:

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
It does happen over here Magnus. Derek at Double One provided a free bar in 2013 and ...

After that Derek stopped the free bar and went to free pizza instead.
Also the Finnish community used to have this "I got away from home so I will get completely drunk" Issue earlier. About ten years there was a big discussion of this and this lead to current status where there is more focus on the game and good time. Some people did not like this line of thinking this but nowadays those persons attend the Finnish meetings rarely if ever.
Great to hear this progress. I conclude that the Finns, the British, the Danes, and the local people around Gothenburg have identified a problem and addressed it. A lot of good tournaments for me to attend :).

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
ok, I gotta ask: what is ASO policy?

you get a little something don't you?

I do however, tend to become even more cavalier with the cardboard lives of my troops as the day wears on, and maybe some whinging about dice, but never against an opponent

ASL in bar: cool. not knowing your limit: lame

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My biggest fear would be someone vomiting on my ASL set. This is ASL. There are rules.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
ok, I gotta ask: what is ASO policy?
DRINKING:
Drinking is allowed at the tournament, but excessive drinking which ruins the ASO experience for other players can be ground for (temporary) dismissal from the tournament.

This was the official new policy, more interesting is probably how it is enforced and for that you have to ask the TD's.

I expect to have a great time in Copenhagen, although attendance is down due to all the Swedes no longer attending … for various reasons I am sure.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
After a bad experience at one tournament, where an opponent mixed pain killers with alcohol, I was inspired to write something which was added into the CASLO rules. The other members thought to expand the criteria beyond intoxication.

PLAYER CONDUCT: All participants are expected to exhibit good sportsmanship throughout the tournament. Unsportsmanlike conduct (verbal or physical abuse, intoxication and or cheating) will result in disciplinary action and/or disqualification at the discretion of the TD (and the tournament directing staff). Should a registered attendee experience unsportsmanlike conduct, he or she is encouraged to report the situation immediately to the TD or tournament staff and ask the TD/staff to intervene. Depending upon the nature and severity of the conduct, the TD may use whatever action they deem necessary to resolve the situation.

carlsson

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The alcohol policy is actually as all other rules; "Use common sense and be nice."
Quite disturbing we have to actually write it down.
IMO, to throw a table around is not an alcoholic problem – it's a personal problem.

Speaking about alcohol, here's a nice anecdote from the Arnhem tournament, somewhere around '06; I was playing a friendly game at the bar, downstairs from the playing area. Next to the table was a Shuffle Board, and some guys where playing that. Me and my opponent had a beer while we played, having a really good time.

I had to take a leak, and when I came back there was beer all over the playing area! ?

While I was away, the shuffle puck from the shuffle board had bounced off the shuffle table, straight to my seat and crashed into the beer, with just enough force to not destroy the glass, but to tip it over – right onto the maps and the counters...! ?

Luckily for me, I have laminated maps. But some of the British counters had to be trashed, while others survived with wet marks as evidence from that day...

With that said; We are grown men, and I think alcohol is a nice touch to the friendliness of the game. Ie, as long as you can handle it of course. Actually, there are studies that suggests that 2 cl of alcohol makes your brain more creative (the problem is to "only" have 2 cl). ?

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
IMO, to throw a table around is not an alcoholic problem – it's a personal problem.
Well, it was not a table, it was a board :) . Board 42 to be precise :) .

The Magnus

PS. Carlsson is excused for his temporary dyslexia :), "table" is called "bord" in Swedish, pretty close to "board".

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
But some of the British counters had to be trashed, while others survived with wet marks as evidence from that day...
Hm, as the buyer of your second set of British counter I am now owner of these and I have the explanation for how they look. And I payed for them with a Danish bottle of Gammeldansk. I think I am getting paranoid from all of this alcohol following me, time to get a night-cap :) .