Single Player Scenarios

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All,

I have just purchased this gem of a game and have read a bit of the manual as well as a bit here.

Am I correct in understanding that it is not possible to design single player scenarios from scratch (new OOB and Map)?

I am very interested in the WWII expansion and would like to design scens for those as well as hypothetical earlier NATO/WP conflicts

Thanks in advance, I expect I'll be posting for a PBEM...so keep your eyes open for the new meat :)

HK

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TacOps4 does not provide the ability to create scenarios that include an AI opponent. You can only build scenarios for human vs human play.

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MajorH,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, I am certain that it will not lessen my enjoyment of the game...PBEM or Network is the way to go anyhoo! Nothing like a real live opponent.

thanks again for your response,

HK

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the game!

I did a WWII CPX a bit ago and will do another when time allows. I might even run the same scenerio with a few additional twists and make it bloodier for bluefor.

There are a several new maps of WWII battlefields and more in the works.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
dhuffjr said:
I did a WWII CPX a bit ago and will do another when time allows.
Keep us posted if you do. If I had time to learn the mechanics I would try one of these BUT alas, RL always intervenes. :(

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would be interested in a CPX but am uncertain if it would fly on a dial up. I live way out in the boonies with no prospect of a high speed connection anytime soon.

Has anyone tried to participate in a CPX via dial up?

HK

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dial up is OK for a two player game but probably too slow for a satifactory gaming experience for more than three or four players in a multiplayer network game.

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another Question about Single Player

While playing around with the game last night I noticed the ability to replace units in the OOB. Question is does this affect the AI of the scenario. I saw the caveat about adding optional units and its affect on AI. Did not notice the same when I replaced units in the OOB. Even ran a short scenario, Team Hall, swapping Shermans for M1A1s and PzIIIs for T-80's...it didn't appear to affect the AI as the PzIIIs retrograded (is that a word?) towards the map edge and picked off Shermans as they went...enough to cost me the scen.

Regardless, the long and short of it is that the swapping of units at start did not appear to affect the AI's performance in this scenario, so I expect I could do the larger scenarios to drop them back to 70's or 80's technology.

Thanks in advance for correcting any misconceptions

HK

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The AI will usually work OK if unit types/markers already in a scenario are exchanged/swapped for unit types/markers of a similar nature - i.e. tanks for tanks, APCs for APCs.

"Adding" unit types is usually problematic if the AI is on the offense but usually OK if the AI is defending. "Added markers" will often be ignored if the AI is on the offense. They may also be ignored if the AI is defending, but that matters less as "die in place" units are often fine for that situation.

The real problem with doing this sort of thing is that the AI locks in its battle plan in most scenarios before you have an opportunity to do any swaps. Therefore when you play your modified scenario again via reloading the turn one saved game file, the AI will usually make the same opening move and will usually repeat the same overall battle plan.

Last edited:

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi MajorH,

Thanks for your reply.

It appears that the smart move would be to start the scenario and swap the units anew each time rather than starting from the saved game. Thanks for the insight into AI processing.

HK

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is the only reason why I havent purchased the game.

Even though I'd prob play the game by email not being able to play user made scenarios against an AI is a big drawback.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wodin said:
This is the only reason why I havent purchased the game. Even though I'd prob play the game by email not being able to play user made scenarios against an AI is a big drawback.
It only costs $25 (+S&H). :)

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I know its great value for money Major.

No one can complain about that.

I just think it would have made the games long term value even greater.

The new maps Ive seen are superb. Near works of art. If only I was able to play on them against the AI.

My hat goes off to you.

$25 is peanuts and I would pay alot more if I could play the user made scenarios and take advantage of all the lovely new maps against the AI.

As it stands I just cant see myself giving it enough time to warrent a purchase.

Also Im not to fussed about modern conflicts. Maybe when the WW2 version comes out I will buy into the system.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to mention the bounty of freebie features and patches v4 has received.

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The wealth of support that Tacops gets is alot of what convinced me to buy this game, the way I look at, given the level of attention MajorH pays to upgrading the system, solitaire design may come along some day, in the meantime MBX and CPX look like alot of fun and make it well worth the $25.

My .02

HK

Cheo

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I played the demo to death, and after that I purchased the game. It's not perfect, as there is no perfect game, but it features the things I want, and imo it's the best modern military war game... and I've tried all available demos based on modern military.

It's true we all want a single player scenario editor, but hell, it would turn TacOps into the best game ever and we would never play another game. :)

Meanwhile (notice I said meanwhile) we can play pbem, modem to modem, or CPX.
BTW, I'm off the next week, so if anyone fancy a live skirmish, let me know. We can even try a wee CPX (the last is addressed directly to dhuffjr).