Simple rout question

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know it's a basic rout question, but here goes:

If the only place a broken unit can rout to (such as a building) makes it closer(not adjacent)
to a known enemy unit, can that broken unit low crawl towards that location,
or is it eliminated for failure to rout/suffer innterdiction?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I'd say it is eliminated for failure to rout...

paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Washing Machine Charlie said:
I know it's a basic rout question, but here goes:

If the only place a broken unit can rout to (such as a building) makes it closer(not adjacent)
to a known enemy unit, can that broken unit low crawl towards that location,
or is it eliminated for failure to rout/suffer innterdiction?
I think we would need more details. If a building/woods location is
closer then it can be ignored as a destination. A10.51 (last paragraph)
if no non-ignored building/woods Location can be reached during the RtPh, a broken unit may rout to any terrain hex consistent with the above restrictions and need not rout toward the nearest woods/building Location.

Since they are not adjacent to a unit, then the next question is whether
they are in open ground (A10.5) in normal range and LOS of a Known non-Melee enemy unit. If so they must rout. If unable to rout (ie.e every direction is nearer a unit) then they would be eliminated. Otherwise they
can rout as they please (but could suffer interdiction if not low crawling)

-=Paul

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the only place a broken unit can rout to (such as a building) makes it closer(not adjacent) to a known enemy unit, can that broken unit low crawl towards that location, or is it eliminated for failure to rout/suffer innterdiction?
You can't rout toward an enemy unit that is "known" to your broken guys... So he can't rou to that location. If he -must- rout, and he can't then he'd be eliminated for failure to rout. But remember you are only required to rout if you are adjacent to an unbroken known enemy unit (unconcealed) or if you are in open ground an normal range.

Sam

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A10.51 (last para.) allows the routing unit to ignore buildings and woods that are not further away from a KEU. This permits a unit to rout across open ground, say a road behind a tree line, to reach other more favorable terrain. As Sam says, you can never rout closer to a KEU, meaning known to the routing unit. Routing equidistant to a KEU, even if disappearing out of LOS, is optional to the routing unit ("may be ignored").

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys, for your replies-----I appreciate again how I can ask questions on this forum and get many helpful and friendy responses, even though they are some pretty basic questions--It's really helps my ASL Learning curve. I always download these responses from you ASL Grognards for reference:)