Silly Map Scale ?

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the DA Map File Archive, there is an An Narisiyah 1:500,000 Hi-Res.

What would be the distance in kilometers between the 45E and 46E lat/long lines?

I should know it or know where to find the answer, maybe I'm getting old and lazy. :)

John Osborne

Reaction score
pmaidhof said:

What would be the distance in kilometers between the 45E and 46E lat/long lines?

I should know it or know where to find the answer, maybe I'm getting old and lazy. :)
Peter I just sent to you my map for the scenario March On. Hope this will help with the question you have. You should have recived a map, terrian, and scenario file.

John

John Osborne

Reaction score
pmaidhof said:

Peter,

If you look at my map I sent to you, I came up with 60 kms from 45E to 46E.

John

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Osborne said:
If you look at my map I sent to you, I came up with 60 kms from 45E to 46E.
Thanks. I do not have access to my home email account at the moment so I do have not had a chance to see the map that you sent until tonight.

However, is there a formula or such for determining the distance between these lines? I'm sure there must be, but it is just escaping me.

deagu

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi,

maybe i am wrong but i thought 1 min = 1 nm = 1,852 km. This is accurate only near the equator especially for distances between degrees longitude like the one asked for.

At the latitude of An-Nasiriyah (31N) 60 minutes between 45E and 46E are about 95 km.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
1 minute of Lat or Long = 1 km, so, 60 minutes between 45E and 46E = 60 km
Thank Curt, and DP for the site.

I'm creating a scenario using the An Nasiriya map solely for the river and surrounding area. It will pit a red ROW division attempting to hold open an escape route back across to the east side of the Euphrates for the rest of its corps vs. an as to be determined blue US force. Red corps is two Mech Infantry Divisions and one Tank Division based on FM 100-61, then converting it the best I can to the RCP calculator post yesterday by John O.

John Osborne

Reaction score
pmaidhof said:
Using DP's site, 31:00:00N 45:00:00E to 31:00:00N 46:00:00E is given as 96km (59 miles, or 52nm).

This is in line with Diagu's calculation of 95km.

Thanks again.
Yep, your right. Going to have to rescale my map :) Look for a new zip file, Peter.

John

John Osborne

Reaction score
Deltapooh said:
I use this site to calculate distances between different coordinates for DA.

http://www.indo.com/distance/
Excellent site DP :cheeky: This will come in handy for the other maps I'm going to use for DA. Now I have to redo the map scale which is no problem and start working on the RCT 2 OOB.

Peter, I got in contact with the Marine Detachment here at work and he is hooking me up with all the neccassy FMs to start the RCT 2 OOB :p

John

Gallowglass

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Here is a small excel file to calc distances.

It's based on a formula for Great Circle distances.

Enter Lat & longs, result in km, nm and miles