Silly After Action Report - Thrilla in Manila

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR!
Typically one would expect better results than you got with those shots against 6 morale troops.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's funny - the Japanese in this scenario are defending the Bureau of Agriculture and Commerce. Which is most definitely on Sarge's Manila HASL map - from above, it actually looks like a Star Wars fighter. Here's the historical photo, courtesy of John Tewell's Flickr feed:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for another fun AAR. There is a good article on playing the Japanese by Craig in the new View From The Trenches. You might find it of some use? I know I did :)
I imagine all Neil needs to know is: don't roll high.

Frankly, games like his really suck. You want to shake your fist at the heavens and yell, "I'm tryin' to play ASL here!"

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tactics are like tushes I realize (everyone's a bit different), but placement of the PBs forward with the relative ease of being flanked I saw as a major flaw. BTW were the "guns" restricted to setting up in the PB's?

As always, really enjoy your AARs and self deprecating manner of presentation, but don't get down on yourself too bad in reality. We've all had games like that one (or at least I sure have had).

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been playing the IJA a lot the past year or so and the tactics vary a lot for them depending on the setting and how late it is in the war. That is part of why they are so fun to play! I am working through the BFP Corregidor scenarios (the CG version). When on the attack, they get to banzai try to overwhelm the paratroopers. On the defense, the overwhelming firepower comes into play and like you saw vonTrotta you have to ask "unconceal and die" or "conceal and wait"? Still, I really like playing the IJA but one really has to study the scenario card to which which 'version' of the IJA need to show up for that scenario. :)

Keep the AARs coming! I bust a gut laughing with all of them :)

vonTrotta

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Tactics are like tushes I realize (everyone's a bit different), but placement of the PBs forward with the relative ease of being flanked I saw as a major flaw. BTW were the "guns" restricted to setting up in the PB's?

As always, really enjoy your AARs and self deprecating manner of presentation, but don't get down on yourself too bad in reality. We've all had games like that one (or at least I sure have had).
No, they weren't restricted to the pillboxes they just seemed like a good fit. I was trying to control the road but I could have done with more protection for them I agree.