Silly After Action Report - Fighting Withdrawal

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are so many reasons why this shouldn't be the ASL Introduction Scenario.

But there is something about a running fight through a village that is slowly burning down that really does tell you that you're in for a boardgame unlike any you've ever played before. I have no regrets that this was my first one.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are so many reasons why this shouldn't be the ASL Introduction Scenario.

But there is something about a running fight through a village that is slowly burning down that really does tell you that you're in for a boardgame unlike any you've ever played before. I have no regrets that this was my first one.
I think one has to remember the climate that this was first published in. It was most probably not produced as an introduction to the the SL-ASL experience but as an introduction to ASL from SL. In SL there were darn few "fighting withdrawals" as guys usually died in chunks or were stacked in bunches to pummel the enemy. One has to remember there was some resistance to buying off on a new system if one had invested in all the previous SL gamettes so they had to offer an eye catcher as well as a relatively new SL-like gaming experience.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I think one has to remember the climate that this was first published in. It was most probably not produced as an introduction to the the SL-ASL experience but as an introduction to ASL from SL. In SL there were darn few "fighting withdrawals" as guys usually died in chunks or were stacked in bunches to pummel the enemy. One has to remember there was some resistance to buying off on a new system if one had invested in all the previous SL gamettes so they had to offer an eye catcher as well as a relatively new SL-like gaming experience.
There were some unique scenarios in the original - that chase down to the river comes to mind (Dornot Watermark?) - I never played Fighting Withdrawal when ASL first came out, but I revisited it in recent years. We enjoyed it, managing the fire and smoke was challenging, but it made for an interesting game.

The AAR in the original post above is well written, I enjoyed that too.

Last edited: