Signatures and Animated Gifs

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are going to have to visit this issue of animated gifs in the sigs. I like them as much as the next guy...but it makes my browser chuck along when I go into threads with them. Part of this is becuase my Chaintech GF4 Ti4200 took a dump on me and I am using a circa 1996 4mb backup video card...however it has made me aware of those poor chaps on less than new hardware - and our 56k modem viewers.

We have to come up with a compromise. I love the sigs, but some of them are overpowering the threads. Animated ones might have to be the size of IGM's (pretty small) and unanimated ones should be no taller or wider than Xena's. I'll check the file sizes to see what is a good middle ground on them. :thumb:

Also, from an artistic perspective...they should not have transparencies. Sometimes when I look at the transparencies they look rather ragged which is a pet peeve of mine :halo:

We are also going to implement some color options...so that you can choose your own background colors here. This means that transparent gifs could end up melding right into a certain background - again making them look worse than they should. If they are always on a consistent background (and have borders) it should resolve that problem!

Thanks for your understanding!

:horse:

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I feel like I have training wheels on with this 4mb video card. It looks like absolute crap on my TFT which is optimized for 1280X1024 resolution. This card only does 1024x768. If you have used a TFT at the wrong res you know what I am talking about.

:chair:

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian King
I feel like I have training wheels on with this 4mb video card. It looks like absolute crap on my TFT which is optimized for 1280X1024 resolution. This card only does 1024x768. If you have used a TFT at the wrong res you know what I am talking about.

:chair:
I feel your pain, buddy. Everytime I have to drop down to 1024x768 from my laptop's native 1600x1200, I feel like I'm developing cataracts.

Igotmilk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Xena ~HS~
:( :( :( :(
Hey Xena, there are a lot of forums that limit sig sizes. No biggy, you will get better working around limits. I know this is not that great, but it is an old one:

And is 13K.

11b10

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Signatures and Animated Gifs ?....."We don`t need no stinking signatures and antimated gifs".