Shut Up Back There Or I Turn This Halftrack Around

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A quote from Will Rogers:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”

Its relevance to ASL: broken units as Passengers. Came up in a game yesterday, and I just wanna check the global Rules Zeitgeist. You really can drive those brokies around screaming in the back while the crew gets all mad in the front seat?

Is there any hope for a broken Passenger? Can you stop the vehicle and let them rout out? Or do you need to stop and let a SMC onboard, who then needs to Rally them?

And a parting quote from Will Rogers, oh so apropos in this day and age:
“Never miss a good chance to shut up.”

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A quote from Will Rogers:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”

Its relevance to ASL: broken units as Passengers. Came up in a game yesterday, and I just wanna check the global Rules Zeitgeist. You really can drive those brokies around screaming in the back while the crew gets all mad in the front seat?

Is there any hope for a broken Passenger? Can you stop the vehicle and let them rout out? Or do you need to stop and let a SMC onboard, who then needs to Rally them?

And a parting quote from Will Rogers, oh so apropos in this day and age:
“Never miss a good chance to shut up.”
Lmao! What a humorist he was! Also liked, " I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat. "

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hm, have not really thought of it, but basically I believe they are stuck in their vehicle.

If you have an Inherent Crew, you might Abandon the vehicle and destroy it in the process.
Brokies will not stay on/in the Wreck.

But this price it probably not worth paying to get them out.

von Marwitz

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mr. Rogers also said "All I know is what I read in the newspapers."

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Broke passengers in the back of trucks came up yesterday in my game. Some bailed out, others were KIA, and some stayed in trucks, and some trucks drove past enemy units, can a HT drive into a brokie location and pick the ones outside up?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I remember years ago seeing someone drive a truck with brokies in it into LOS of a berserk unit just so he had to alter course and go after them and not a more valuable target. Brilliant tactic, had to be Allen Loiselle or Kiri Naiman back in the old Holyoke bunker, Vic.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I remember years ago seeing someone drive a truck with brokies in it into LOS of a berserk unit just so he had to alter course and go after them and not a more valuable target. Brilliant tactic, had to be Allen Loiselle or Kiri Naiman back in the old Holyoke bunker, Vic.
I did something like this just a few weeks ago:
In an 'epic charge' a Russian Berserker charged 4 or 5 Movement Phases targetting 5 different units, running 20 something hexes - and catching none...

von Marwitz

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Even worse than being broken and stuck in a halftrack is broken and stuck on an unbeached 16-ton ferry - this happened to my opponent in DN5 Grand Ferme de Meez, when I shot and broke his manning 468 assault engineer squad on the otherwise empty ferry on its return trip to the east bank of the Meuse to load more reinforcements. We decided (hopefully correctly) that the ferry just starts drifting in the river current until they either beach on something, get blown up, or self-rally. His AE eventually did self-rally. We both thought "we'll never see something like this ever happen again". Fortunately the ferry just missed drifting into a hex with an assault boat. Not sure if the rules cover collisions at sea. ?

EDIT: IIRC it was not an IFT shot but instead a "1" sniper that initially broke the AE squad. Even more of a rarity, and again, something that we hopefully played correctly.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even worse than being broken and stuck in a halftrack is broken and stuck on an unbeached 16-ton ferry - this happened to my opponent in DN5 Grand Ferme de Meez, when I shot and broke his manning 468 assault engineer squad on the otherwise empty ferry on its return trip to the east bank of the Meuse to load more reinforcements. We decided (hopefully correctly) that the ferry just starts drifting in the river current until they either beach on something, get blown up, or self-rally. His AE eventually did self-rally. We both thought "we'll never see something like this ever happen again". Fortunately the ferry just missed drifting into a hex with an assault boat. Not sure if the rules cover collisions at sea. ?

EDIT: IIRC it was not an IFT shot but instead a "1" sniper that initially broke the AE squad. Even more of a rarity, and again, something that we hopefully played correctly.
You played that wrong. DN3.27, last sentence. Ferry Passengers don't break, they CR when they fail morale.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
You do know that all of these questions and more are covered in the rules, right?

Broken Passengers can stay in the vehicle as Passengers. They are never required to rout (never eliminated for Failure to Rout). If they rout they expend all MF to unload (assuming the vehicle is Stopped, of course). They do not otherwise affect the vehicle in any way (the vehicle can drive wherever it wants, in any direction, the crew and/or other unbroken Passengers can fire available weapons, etc.).

Broken Passengers can be Rallied by a Leader who is also a Passenger in the same vehicle, or (I think, NRBH) by a Leader in the same Location as the vehicle (provided that it is Stopped). (I think a Leader who is a Passenger in one vehicle cannot attempt to Rally a Passenger in a different vehicle, even when both vehicles are in the same Location.)

Broken units cannot load onto a vehicle (except in a Seaborne Evacuation, maybe? :unsure:)

Yes, you can have a vehicle with Broken Passengers in CC with an enemy unit (who is outside the vehicle, obviously). It's a major PITA!

Fun obscure fact: Broken Passengers are never required to rout out of a vehicle. Broken Crews (i.e., when you shoot at an Inherent Crew through an unarmoured target facing) must rout out of the vehicle (and thus will die if they can't)!

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
You played that wrong. DN3.27, last sentence. Ferry Passengers don't break, they CR when they fail morale.
Got it, thanks. I think I was stuck on the notion that they were crew, since they had to man the ferry to have it operate under power, instead of passengers being ferried. But I see now that this was incorrect. Fun scenario by the way.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got it, thanks. I think I was stuck on the notion that they were crew, since they had to man the ferry to have it operate under power, instead of passengers being ferried. But I see now that this was incorrect. Fun scenario by the way.
Happy you liked it. Dan will be pleased.