Shuri Castle

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, man, that's a crying shame. You hate to see any historic building/aircraft/vehicle etc. lost like that.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My father walked in the ruins there in WW2, probably looking for something good to ship home.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Oh, man, that's a crying shame. You hate to see any historic building/aircraft/vehicle etc. lost like that.
It was completely destroyed in World War II. What was destroyed in the fire was a reconstruction. While it's unfortunate, it was already too late. "The current castle was rebuilt and opened to the public in 1992." https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50244169

JR

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, so was Cassino Abbey, but it would still a shame if it were destroyed again. I guess in retrospect anything older than 20 years is probably in need of a renovation anyway.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While the destruction of a cultural icon (apparently not a real original historical one) is sad, my hope is that no one died or was seriously injured.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm not worried if it was a replacement rather than the original. All monumental buikdings have been altered, they are still monuments.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't mean to dismiss the significance, but if it was completed in 1992, it is less than thirty years old and not an authentic ancient relic.

Per wikipedia:
For 450 years from 1429, it was the royal court and administrative center of the Ryukyu Kingdom. It was the focal point of foreign trade, as well as the political, economic, and cultural heart of the Ryukyu Islands. According to records, the castle burned down several times, and rebuilt each time.
It is just part of the cycle of life. I want to add perspective and not to say it is not important.

JR