Should Victory Conditions permit ties?

Should a scenario's Victory Conditions permit a draw result?

• Yes

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Not a soccer fan but English Soccer uses loses 0 points, draw 1 point and win 3 points. A draw is worth something but a win still greater than two draws.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Not a soccer fan but English Soccer uses loses 0 points, draw 1 point and win 3 points. A draw is worth something but a win still greater than two draws.
And the National Hockey League has 3 on 3 overtime and then a shootout to prevent ties altogether (and in the playoffs, it changes to sudden death OT)...

If lose in OT/SO in the regular season you get a single point, a win is 2 - regardless of whether it is in OT, SO, or regulation.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ties in the standings also have tie-breakers in order to determine playoff seeding:

If two or more teams are tied in total points, the tie is broken using the following criteria, in order, until one winner is decided.
  • Most wins
  • Most points in games against each other among the tied teams
  • The greater positive differential between goals scored for and against among the tied teams.
The Canadian Football League also has a long list of criteria which determine playoff seeding where teams have equal point totals in the standings.

It would certainly be possible to come up with similar tie-breaker criteria for ASL: CVP the obvious one, though these aren't always relevant to the specific scenario (punishing a player for casualties in what was historically a human wave assault, for example). But you wouldn't have to stop there. Lowest overall dice totals, fewest % failed morale checks, most snake-eyes, all kinds of possibilities.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Tie Breaker. Opponent in his tank and me in mine. We stop about 20 paces, get out and shake hands. We button up and do battle, just the two of us. And that battle would decide the outcome of the scenario.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I voted for 'tied games' but the type of 'tie' or 'draw' goes something like this: the ATTACKER wins if they control 20 building locations in the DEFENDERS setup area;
the DEFENDER wins if that gain 35 CVP;
if both victory conditions are attained, a draw is the result;
if neither victory condition are achieved, the DEFENDER is the winner.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I voted for 'tied games' but the type of 'tie' or 'draw' goes something like this: the ATTACKER wins if they control 20 building locations in the DEFENDERS setup area;
the DEFENDER wins if that gain 35 CVP;
if both victory conditions are attained, a draw is the result;
if neither victory condition are achieved, the DEFENDER is the winner.
I like that. CVP cap v location VPs.

A pyrrhic victory condition if ever there was one.

With those conditions you could easily add in marginal victories etc depending on locations gained v CVPs lost and vice versa.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The old saw of "a tie is like kissing your sister" rings true in this one. I would definitely have a definitive victory for someone involved. Even if that definition is by 1 CVP or building location or what have you. I have played a few draw scenarios back in the day. Honestly didn't care for it.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
If you want a scenario played in tournaments, I recommend binary win/lose VC. Draws would be a headache for the TD. Point systems or gradations of victory would not work very well unless all scenarios in a tournament had such a system. It would also tend to reward experienced players with more points when they beat up on inexperienced players. Personally, I don't see where draws would add much to the enjoyment of the game.