Should Penn State get the 'death penalty' for the Sandusky scandal?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Sanctions coming tomorrow.

Yahoo News said:
The NCAA said in a statement on Sunday that it will announce "corrective and punitive measures" for Penn State at 9 a.m. on Monday. While multiple reports indicate that the school will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have would suspended the football program, the sanctions are expected to be harsh.

NCAA source: "Unprecedented" penalties against Penn State

NCAA: 'Punitive measures' await

Joe Paterno statue torn down

NCAA to announce 'corrective' measures for Penn St

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The biggest shame...Paterno still isn't alive to see his statute torn down. Nothing says fail much better than having them destroy your legacy right in front of your own eyes.
Maybe this will give impetus to treating college sports the way they should be (yeah, right). An EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY having nothing to do with why Universities exist. Scholarships for academic excellence ONLY. (That's right, none based on on anything else, including race.) If you want to play sports, you are a student first and athlete second. This is why I always pull for the military academies, because they work this way, and of course they can't compete schools who have "student athletes" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

I never cease to be amazed at how many people look the other way at an obviously corrupt and broken system just because they like the entertainment.

It would be better to have a minor league system for these sports where people can play and be paid for it.

Mini-Me

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe this will give impetus to treating college sports the way they should be (yeah, right). An EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY having nothing to do with why Universities exist. Scholarships for academic excellence ONLY. (That's right, none based on on anything else, including race.) If you want to play sports, you are a student first and athlete second. This is why I always pull for the military academies, because they work this way, and of course they can't compete schools who have "student athletes" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

I never cease to be amazed at how many people look the other way at an obviously corrupt and broken system just because they like the entertainment.

It would be better to have a minor league system for these sports where people can play and be paid for it.
Cat's already out of the bag. There's no going back.

You'd have similar luck returning government to a proper size and scope.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cat's already out of the bag. There's no going back.

You'd have similar luck returning government to a proper size and scope.
Maybe so. We still do our part by voting. i do my part by not spending money on or watching big time college sports.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I don't know. I live 25 minutes from the Air Force Academy and those guys seem to be able to hold their own on the football field against the big name schools. Navy is a little more inconsistent, but they do okay for themselves too. Poor Army - just hasn't been the same since 1945.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
ESPN said:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-state-hit-60-million-fine-4-year-bowl-ban-wins-dating-1998

The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization said Monday morning."These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the NCAA said in statement.
The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the statement continued.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said.
Too much, too little, or about the best they could do?

You can read the official NCAA sanctions here.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Way too little...without the death penalty, it all boils down to the NCAA saying "bad Penn State, but we will let you keep playing football." What a joke. It simply proves that collegiate sports are considered more important than education...sad and disgusting.

The santions and removal of the statue are steps in the right direction, but not far enough. Not getting to play in the post-season means that YOU STILL GET TO PLAY, so where is the punishment in that?

Semper Fi!
Scott

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Way too little...without the death penalty, it all boils down to the NCAA saying "bad Penn State, but we will let you keep playing football." What a joke. It simply proves that collegiate sports are considered more important than education...sad and disgusting.
More than that, it says that collegiate sports are more important than justice for the rape of children. As a non-football fan, I'm horrified that this is even a question. I would disband the program, dynamite the stadium and salt the field with radioactive cobalt, just as a warning to other schools not to try to cover up crimes of this magnitude. That students can no longer play a game is so low on the scale of appropriate punishments for child rape that I can't believe it is even being discussed.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The santions and removal of the statue are steps in the right direction, but not far enough. Not getting to play in the post-season means that YOU STILL GET TO PLAY, so where is the punishment in that?

Semper Fi!
Scott
I've never quite undestood what 'vacated wins' actually means, or why it should have any effect. Anyone who watched the game and saw the score at the end knows who won.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

You can read the official NCAA sanctions here.
Wow. I was calling for the Death Penalty - but this is pretty close and I won't complain. Joepa's record just got hammered, the school loses tons of money in Bowl appearance fees and 90 million isn't chump change. It will tkae them years to eb relevant in the Big ten again and they are still staing at huge judgements in civil suits.

I think this is apprpriate.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What did the current group of players do to deserve a punishment?
In light on an instituion covering up repeated child rape by a staff member, I think that the current players are irrelevant. Let's be real here...which is more important to you?

Current players being punished by the sanctions...for some reason the term "acceptable collateral damage" comes to mind.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In light on an instituion covering up repeated child rape by a staff member, I think that the current players are irrelevant.
But they are the one's who would be punished if the entire season was cancelled. Plus the fine is equal to what the football program 'earns' during a season. I think it is appropriate that the football program pay the fine as opposed to the general student body.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it is appropriate that the football program pay the fine as opposed to the general student body.
But what you fail to see is that the players *are* a part of the football program, and the entire program is being punished...again, acceptable collateral damage. The general student body in comprised of students, and in no way will the loss of playing football diminish the education that they will receive. So that we are all clear on this point...education is more important at a university than playing a game, whatever that game may be.

Semper Fi!
Scott

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In light on an instituion covering up repeated child rape by a staff member, I think that the current players are irrelevant. Let's be real here...which is more important to you?

Current players being punished by the sanctions...for some reason the term "acceptable collateral damage" comes to mind.

Semper Fi!
Scott
Well...if the institution covered up the crimes...why is only the football program being singled out? Shouldn't the whole institution be penalized...including past and current students? Maybe all the diplomas that were awarded during the time period in question should be vacated and the school forced to reimburse the tuition. I mean if current players are victims of "acceptable collateral damage"...why not the other students?

I can see if it was ONLY the athletic department that covered things up. In that case let the chips fall where they may...and the athletic programs be damned.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More than that, it says that collegiate sports are more important than justice for the rape of children. As a non-football fan, I'm horrified that this is even a question. I would disband the program, dynamite the stadium and salt the field with radioactive cobalt, just as a warning to other schools not to try to cover up crimes of this magnitude. That students can no longer play a game is so low on the scale of appropriate punishments for child rape that I can't believe it is even being discussed.
Given that I'm more of a fan then you, but not quite a fanatic about it (I save that energy for my ASL time)

Your remark about radioactive cobalt made me chuckle aloud. Well said sir....

Mark DV
Ada, MI