Should Penn State get the 'death penalty' for the Sandusky scandal?

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Double bingo.

I agree that the NCAA should take action on this and would agree if thy suspended PSU's football program for a number of years.
Without minimizing the effects on the victims...people really need to step back and look at the big picture. Unless your prime motive is simply to punish Penn State (not directed at you Blackcloud specifically)...then yeah...shut down the program. That will show them.

But do those who feel this way realize it will not only harm the football program...but a lot of other programs at Penn State? Not to mention the local businesses and citizens.

This guy has an interesting take on things...

http://www.collegiatestadiums.com/2012/07/17/thoughts-on-a-penn-state-death-penalty/

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Without minimizing the effects on the victims...people really need to step back and look at the big picture. Unless your prime motive is simply to punish Penn State (not directed at you Blackcloud specifically)...then yeah...shut down the program. That will show them.

But do those who feel this way realize it will not only harm the football program...but a lot of other programs at Penn State? Not to mention the local businesses and citizens.

This guy has an interesting take on things...

http://www.collegiatestadiums.com/2012/07/17/thoughts-on-a-penn-state-death-penalty/
So I guess we just stop punishing people and institutions because "Innocent" people will be harmed! Punishment is not only for the perpitrator but as a deterant to others.

When punishment happens people get hurt. Wether it's on a large scale like PSU or on a small scale for a criminals family but we still punish them. Guess Paterno should have thought about that back in 1998. He wasn't thinking of them then. He was thinking of himself and his legacy.

There has to be punishment to breaking the rules otherwise the rules are a joke. A couple of scholarships and a bowl ban are not a deterant. That has been show with the punishment handed out to USC and OSU. When the head guys are the criminals such as Caroll, Tressal and Paterno then the punishment needs to be greater.

You can ask Psycho or Blackcloud I am as big aof a BUCKEYS supporter as you will find but these 3 programs all deserve the death penalty. In reality it wouldn't be the death penalty for any 3 of these schools. They would all be right back at the top of their game in 4-5 years.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So I guess we just stop punishing people and institutions because "Innocent" people will be harmed! Punishment is not only for the perpitrator but as a deterant to others.

When punishment happens people get hurt. Wether it's on a large scale like PSU or on a small scale for a criminals family but we still punish them. Guess Paterno should have thought about that back in 1998. He wasn't thinking of them then. He was thinking of himself and his legacy.

There has to be punishment to breaking the rules otherwise the rules are a joke. A couple of scholarships and a bowl ban are not a deterant. That has been show with the punishment handed out to USC and OSU. When the head guys are the criminals such as Caroll, Tressal and Paterno then the punishment needs to be greater.

You can ask Psycho or Blackcloud I am as big aof a BUCKEYS supporter as you will find but these 3 programs all deserve the death penalty. In reality it wouldn't be the death penalty for any 3 of these schools. They would all be right back at the top of their game in 4-5 years.
In both U$C & Ohio St cases I wouldn't agree. They should've been given harsher punishments but not the death penalty. In Penn St's case, this goes beyond the football program. The whole university should be punished but not by the NCAA. Some of those guys need to serve some serious jail time. The law should be involved and not some NCAA wrist slap sanctions. The NCAA can do something but this is just beyond what other schools have done.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeez haven't gone "ape sh*t" on anyone in along time. don't know where THAT came from.

Oh I totally understand why you would say what you have. What rule? Lack of Institutional control. Now i don't know if PSU rose to that or not or if there are rules in place but it sure needs to be looked at by the NCAA. It was the Football program running the coverup from what i have seen. Does it mean I am correct no, but it sure needs to be looked at by the NCAA and if there are no rules in place to cover such an instance, then they need to be put in place.

College FB has gotten way to powerful and needs to be reigned in. The hypocracy of it is disgusting. I love the game but it is being ruined by it's own success. Putting a line in the sand and saying you can't cross this needs to be done and i think protecting a pedophile to protect a football program is way across that line.

Again, Would the coverup have happened if Sandusky was a history prof? You know the answer to this is NO. A clear message needs to be sent. You can add USC, and OSU to teams that should get the "death penalty" why didn't they? MONEY and greed The NCAA is a joke
This is a criminal matter...the NCAA has no jurisdiction in such a case. What's more, why would we want the NCAA to be metting out punishment in a criminal case to start with. That is a violation of our system of "trial by a jury of one's peers". I think the NCAA already excersizes to much power...I certainly don't want them involved in the justice system.

BTW, the "Loss of Institutional Control" is over the football program as it relates to the football programs adherence to NCAA regs. This does not give the NCAA the authority to penalize the schools sports programs for just any/all failure of the institution to control some aspect of the school.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This is a criminal matter...the NCAA has no jurisdiction in such a case. What's more, why would we want the NCAA to be metting out punishment in a criminal case to start with. That is a violation of our system of "trial by a jury of one's peers". I think the NCAA already excersizes to much power...I certainly don't want them involved in the justice system.

BTW, the "Loss of Institutional Control" is over the football program as it relates to the football programs adherence to NCAA regs. This does not give the NCAA the authority to penalize the schools sports programs for just any/all failure of the institution to control some aspect of the school.
Ed Zachry! Now see what you did, Lapants? I went and agreed with Tater! :( And I even repped him too! :kotz:

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The death pnealty for the program wouldn't be in place of criminal and civil sanctions - Spanier and the AD are almost certaonly going to jail. and experts agree that if PSU gets off at 300 million in settlement payouts in the civil suits - they will be very lucky.

But I wouldn't complain if the program was shut down for a couple of years. The only reason thsi coverup happened was because of the prgoram and for teh program. It bothers me that Paterno and spanier and all fo them woudl ahve achieved their goal in the end - and protected teh almighty Penn State football program.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The death pnealty for the program wouldn't be in place of criminal and civil sanctions - Spanier and the AD are almost certaonly going to jail. and experts agree that if PSU gets off at 300 million in settlement payouts in the civil suits - they will be very lucky.

But I wouldn't complain if the program was shut down for a couple of years. The only reason thsi coverup happened was because of the prgoram and for teh program. It bothers me that Paterno and spanier and all fo them woudl ahve achieved their goal in the end - and protected teh almighty Penn State football program.
I still come back to "the why" they did what they did isn't relevant to the discussion.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're probably right, Dave,

It just - you know - kills me to think of them covering it up so their GD football team wouldn't get hurt.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The case is being handled in both criminal and civil court. This does not absolve the NCAA from looking into the matter and if rules have been broken then metting out the appropriate punishment. I do believe I have already stated this. If NCAA rules have found to have been broken to cover this up then an appropriate punishment would be the "death penalty"

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're probably right, Dave,

It just - you know - kills me to think of them covering it up so their GD football team wouldn't get hurt.
Don't disagree that its galling as best because a lot of the time the "why" really does matter, but when you get into the punishment phase, the act should be parmount to the discussion rather than trying to excuse / or double down on the punishment because of the why.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't disagree that its galling as best because a lot of the time the "why" really does matter, but when you get into the punishment phase, the act should be parmount to the discussion rather than trying to excuse / or double down on the punishment because of the why.
Couldn't agree more. Beautiful way of writing it-both you and Chris M. A true tragedy in the sporting world, that a institution put its $$$ over what's best for students and kids.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Couldn't agree more. Beautiful way of writing it-both you and Chris M. A true tragedy in the sporting world, that a institution put its $$$ over what's best for students and kids.
I am not sure it was money...

If they had outted Sandusky up front what would they have lost? Nothing...a little embarrased but fans and alumni wouldn't have batted an eye...particularly in the face of a self-reported situation. To be honest, from the beginning I have felt that Sandusky knows something about some other folks at Penn St...but that is just a guess.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

If they had outted Sandusky up front what would they have lost? Nothing...a little embarrased but fans and alumni wouldn't have batted an eye...particularly in the face of a self-reported situation. To be honest, from the beginning I have felt that Sandusky knows something about some other folks at Penn St...but that is just a guess.
That may be true and all the more reason for it to be looked into by the NCAA!

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

AS evil as that is, there MIGHT be something to it....wow.

My brain is going to be wrapped around that for a few hours....

MY take on it, is that ADMIN people do NOT like anything that ruffles feathers, makes things look untidy. My gut says that when the 1st reported incident happened in 1998, they hoped by brushing it under the carpet, that it would go away and be forgotten, and that mighty Penn State football would roll on. But they more they ignored it, the bigger it got, and here we are....

Anyways, JMHO

Mark DV
Ada, MI

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's clear to me that the NCAA wants to send a message that schools should have more oversight of their programs, and I wonder if even the NCAA fears the power of some of these coaches over the entirety of College football.

This is certainly an excellent opportunity to send that message.

Last edited:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In these types of cases it's important to remember that individuals made the decisions that are in question. I would rather the individual(s) who buried this be prosecuted as far as possible as accomplices, after the fact or whatever,...that would send the message to all the other individuals in positions to make decisions to not report crimes that they will be held personally and criminally responsible.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That may be true and all the more reason for it to be looked into by the NCAA!
As long as the NCAA stays within looking into violations of NCAA reg's that is fine. But if they are looking to pile-on for criminal misconduct then they are making a very serious over reach.

There is a negative flip side to the NCAA trying to involve itself in a criminal matter...might it not make schools less likely to self-report criminal actions by staff if they feel that the NCAA will hammer them anyway? Also, what if this had been a math professor...should the whole math department be suspended?

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As long as the NCAA stays within looking into violations of NCAA reg's that is fine. But if they are looking to pile-on for criminal misconduct then they are making a very serious over reach.

There is a negative flip side to the NCAA trying to involve itself in a criminal matter...might it not make schools less likely to self-report criminal actions by staff if they feel that the NCAA will hammer them anyway? Also, what if this had been a math professor...should the whole math department be suspended?
It's not really about the criminal activity with the NCAA as much as it is the coverup. The coverup is what got Nixon and Tressel axed. A systematic cover up by the FB program could well fall under NCAA rules. I really don't know what is in the Bylaws but it fully needs to be vetted by the NCAA.