Should Penn State get the 'death penalty' for the Sandusky scandal?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like the NCAA is considering it. I would have thought officials from Penn State would have stepped forward with some sort of gesture of their own, but it looks like the NCAA will have to make the decisons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ncaa-president-talks-uniqueness-penn-state-scandal-video-143934430--ncaaf.html

So what's the right answer? Should Penn State be hit with the dreaded "death penalty" for institutional failure?
No. Yes it was related to the football program indirectly, but the Sandusky was a former-coach by that time. This was an institutional failure in which some officials need to be held criminally liable and the school should have to pay out of the nose to all the victims of this bastard. This isn't SMU where the football program was rotten to the core, it was the Penn State administration rotten to the core in this instance.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
No. Yes it was related to the football program indirectly, but the Sandusky was a former-coach by that time. This was an institutional failure in which some officials need to be held criminally liable and the school should have to pay out of the nose to all the victims of this bastard. This isn't SMU where the football program was rotten to the core, it was the Penn State administration rotten to the core in this instance.
Ed Zachry!

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
YES Covering up a pedophile that obviously was sanctioned by Paterno ( He doesn't deserve to be called JoePa anymore)and the rest of the campus followed is the appitamy of lose of Institutional control. To sacrific children for the purpose of protecting the football program is worse than anything that has been done before at any University.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just one question to those who don't think they should get the "Death penalty"and that it wasn't a football problem but an institutional one.
Would the Prez and others have covered it up if it had been a history prof and not Paterno's friend and football coach?

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just one question to those who don't think they should get the "Death penalty"and that it wasn't a football problem but an institutional one.
Would the Prez and others have covered it up if it had been a history prof and not Paterno's friend and football coach?
Well this is a heads I win, tails you lose question. First of all, nobody really knows the answer to that, but based on what I heard about the report, they seemed to be worried about the institution as a whole and not just the football team. But at the end of the day, it was the institution that covered it up and not necessarily an issue within the football team per se. Why they covered up isn't pertinent to the question at all.

What NCAA rule did the FOOTBALL team explicitly break? The institution of Penn State likely violated many laws.

Ok, now you can go ape sh*t on why someone would disagree with you.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this is a heads I win, tails you lose question. First of all, nobody really knows the answer to that, but based on what I heard about the report, they seemed to be worried about the institution as a whole and not just the football team. But at the end of the day, it was the institution that covered it up and not necessarily an issue within the football team per se. Why they covered up isn't pertinent to the question at all.

What NCAA rule did the FOOTBALL team explicitly break? The institution of Penn State likely violated many laws.

Ok, now you can go ape sh*t on why someone would disagree with you.
Jeez haven't gone "ape sh*t" on anyone in along time. don't know where THAT came from.

Oh I totally understand why you would say what you have. What rule? Lack of Institutional control. Now i don't know if PSU rose to that or not or if there are rules in place but it sure needs to be looked at by the NCAA. It was the Football program running the coverup from what i have seen. Does it mean I am correct no, but it sure needs to be looked at by the NCAA and if there are no rules in place to cover such an instance, then they need to be put in place.

College FB has gotten way to powerful and needs to be reigned in. The hypocracy of it is disgusting. I love the game but it is being ruined by it's own success. Putting a line in the sand and saying you can't cross this needs to be done and i think protecting a pedophile to protect a football program is way across that line.

Again, Would the coverup have happened if Sandusky was a history prof? You know the answer to this is NO. A clear message needs to be sent. You can add USC, and OSU to teams that should get the "death penalty" why didn't they? MONEY and greed The NCAA is a joke

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeez haven't gone "ape sh*t" on anyone in along time. don't know where THAT came from.

Oh I totally understand why you would say what you have. What rule? Lack of Institutional control. Now i don't know if PSU rose to that or not or if there are rules in place but it sure needs to be looked at by the NCAA. It was the Football program running the coverup from what i have seen. Does it mean I am correct no, but it sure needs to be looked at by the NCAA and if there are no rules in place to cover such an instance, then they need to be put in place.

College FB has gotten way to powerful and needs to be reigned in. The hypocracy of it is disgusting. I love the game but it is being ruined by it's own success. Putting a line in the sand and saying you can't cross this needs to be done and i think protecting a pedophile to protect a football program is way across that line.

Again, Would the coverup have happened if Sandusky was a history prof? You know the answer to this is NO. A clear message needs to be sent. You can add USC, and OSU to teams that should get the "death penalty" why didn't they? MONEY and greed The NCAA is a joke
Now I don't disagree with any of this. It is getting ruined by its own success and unfortunately this new playoff system is only going to double down on the money and greed in the system. Kind of falls into the "careful what you wish for" category.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IMHO, the death penalty is VERY appropriate. I would be good with 5 years. But even 2 years? 1 year? and allow the students who are currently there to leave sans penalty ie they don't have to redshirt for a year?

The institution needs a lesson. And it's not about money. But money is where they'll feel it most ie $100 million dollar program closed down until?...

JMHO.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
There are people out there who hate college football for a variety of reasons and who would love to see it torn down and made an example of. And sadly, an incident of this magnitude provides just the right kind of ammunition to make that a real possibility. There are very few things people hate more than a child molester, and if the NCAA doesn't act aggressively to show just how seriously it takes this situation, then events could easily spiral out of hand.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the powers that be sacrifice Penn State, and perhaps they should. If the NCAA refuses to get involved and maintains the position that it's just an institutional issue and not something related to football, soon enough the politicians will smell an opportunity to get noticed and then they'll get involved. This is an especially sensitive issue because this is a state school.

I have to disagree with you on this one, Dave. This situation is so egregious I think the NCAA has to do something.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This is more of a Penn St problem than just a Penn St football problem. The entire university should suffer for this (and this coming from a Penn St follower since I was a little kid). smh :(

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If they give Jerry Sandusky the death penalty, I will gladly volunteer for the Electric Chair myself.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are people out there who hate college football for a variety of reasons and who would love to see it torn down and made an example of. And sadly, an incident of this magnitude provides just the right kind of ammunition to make that a real possibility. There are very few things people hate more than a child molester, and if the NCAA doesn't act aggressively to show just how seriously it takes this situation, then events could easily spiral out of hand.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the powers that be sacrifice Penn State, and perhaps they should. If the NCAA refuses to get involved and maintains the position that it's just an institutional issue and not something related to football, soon enough the politicians will smell an opportunity to get noticed and then they'll get involved. This is an especially sensitive issue because this is a state school.

I have to disagree with you on this one, Dave. This situation is so egregious I think the NCAA has to do something.
That's fine. At the end of the day, if the Football program was directly involved in the cover up, then it should be slapped around by the NCAA. What I have heard to date, it doesn't have the smell that the football program was directly involved other than Paterno not pushing the issue or calling the police himself. Shame on him as a human being. It just has the smell that the NCAA is looking for a reason to be relevant - really no different than the politicians that you mentioned. They just happen to be the first in line.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From what I understand Paterno is the one who stopped them from taking it to the authorities. Unfortunately we will probably never really know. Paterno was the football program at PSU. To Psycho: By hitting the FB program you will hit the whole institution. It is unfortunate that the actions of a few self centered egotistical bastards will bring dow grief on so many but thats the way it works. The Semi-pro atheletes who are there will find jobs elsewere.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If it was a 'football' issue then what benefit was gained by the football program? Did they offer potential recruits the chance to rape young boys in the shower? Did the boosters organize pedophile party's for the team? Did they get fans to come to watch the games by having young boys act as cheerleaders?

Sandusky is a scumbag and will get what he deserves. Paterno, at the very least, holds the responsibility for not stopping it years ago. There is no question he had the power and influence to end it. His inactions are inexcusable. The adminsitrators looked after their own ass*s and turned a blind eye to what was going on. Holding the current group of players and coaches responsible for the actions of others that took place before many even arrived on campus is wrong. Punish the University but let the kids play football.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah - I'm with Don and Amrk on this one. The football program should get the death penalty, and the current players allowed to transfer. I was defending Paterno until the Freeh report came out, but now it is pretty clear that Joepa sat on this back in 1998 and kept sandusky from being arrested at that time. Tehy did this to rpotect teh football program, they had the power to do this because of the fottball program and Sandusky used access tot eh football program to groom his victims.

I'm sorry - it sucks. But the only reason this even happened was because the football program was king and Paterno was God. I support the death penalty here.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
To Psycho: By hitting the FB program you will hit the whole institution. It is unfortunate that the actions of a few self centered egotistical bastards will bring dow grief on so many but thats the way it works. The Semi-pro atheletes who are there will find jobs elsewere.
This:

If it was a 'football' issue then what benefit was gained by the football program? Did they offer potential recruits the chance to rape young boys in the shower? Did the boosters organize pedophile party's for the team? Did they get fans to come to watch the games by having young boys act as cheerleaders?

Sandusky is a scumbag and will get what he deserves. Paterno, at the very least, holds the responsibility for not stopping it years ago. There is no question he had the power and influence to end it. His inactions are inexcusable. The adminsitrators looked after their own ass*s and turned a blind eye to what was going on. Holding the current group of players and coaches responsible for the actions of others that took place before many even arrived on campus is wrong. Punish the University but let the kids play football.
:clap:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paterno was the football program at PSU.
Bingo

By hitting the FB program you will hit the whole institution.
Double bingo.

I agree that the NCAA should take action on this and would agree if thy suspended PSU's football program for a number of years.

Last edited: