Should Out-of-Print Scenarios be freely available?

ASLgrognard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WCW items

I was unaware of that.

Where do you send payment for these?

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Send payment with $4 postage for one or two issues, and $6 for all three to:

WCW
c/o Louie Tokarz
5724 W. 106th St.
Chicago Ridge, IL

Make checks payable to WCW.

This is for US orders. Overseas is case by case, the postaget thing is a killer for over seas orders, these things are heavy.

Louie

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"ASL Stuff, ASL Junk, and ASL Thing are still availible from the WCW. $3, $3 and $5, or all three for $10."

Can someone tell me what exactly are these things? Scenarios, articles, tips???

Thanks in advance!

ASLgrognard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WCW items

They are a collection of articles, and if I'm correct reviews. No scenarios.

dgdimick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Slashdot story.

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/06/15/2312251.shtml?tid=103&tid=123&tid=188&tid=99

"Lawrence Lessig and his legal team are asking for your help. Kahle v. Ashcroft is a lawsuit that challenges changes to U.S. copyright law that have created a large class of 'orphan works' -- creative works which are out of print and no longer commercially available, but which are still regulated by copyright. To win the lawsuit, we need more examples of people being burdened by these copyright-related barriers to the use of orphan works. Visit the Kahle Submission Site and tell us your story."

Maybe some hope for lost games..

Pete AU

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I find the most annoying thing is when you buy a new journal (eg journal 5) and find lengthy discussions about 'great scenarios' that are out of print - they could at least include the scenarios in the journal for the $$$$ you pay.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why? Should Casablanca be included with every copy of a book that mentions the film?

Pete AU

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
You can still buy the book and dvd of casablanca - not the ancient asl scenarios. :D

Seriously - J5 should have included the scenarios under discussion HS17 and A68. It wouldn't have cost much to do. At least put them on the web site. I can't see a good reason NOT to do it.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Kahle project has nothing to do with copying out of print, hard to find, or rare ASL scenarios. The Kahle project's intent to create an electronic library (a new Great Library) falls beyond the pale of this topic. See Eldred v. Ashcroft http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&court=US&case=/us/000/01-618.html.

The Supreme Court said:

The CTEA, in contrast, does not oblige anyone to reproduce another's speech against the carrier's will. Instead, it protects authors' original expression from unrestricted exploitation. The First Amendment securely protects the freedom to make--or decline to make--one's own speech; it bears less heavily when speakers assert the right to make other people's speeches. When, as in this case, Congress has not altered the traditional contours of copyright protection, further First Amendment scrutiny is unnecessary. See, e.g., Harper & Row, 471 U. S., at 560. Pp. 28-31.

Copying ASL anything within the term of the copyright is illegal. Buy the rights to the scenarios from the current holder, print them, and sell them yourself.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pete AU said:
I find the most annoying thing is when you buy a new journal (eg journal 5) and find lengthy discussions about 'great scenarios' that are out of print - they could at least include the scenarios in the journal for the $$$$ you pay.

Keith

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just realized that I left my self wide open on that last statement. Who will be the first to find it.

:oops:

dgdimick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I missed the point..

But my understanding is that a lot of the what people here are unhappy with is not that they cant find the scenarios, but the company that made them in the first place has gone belly up and there's no one around to buy a copy of them from. Same with some books and what not. The scope of the lawsuit (IANAL) will not just cover books and movies, but anything that people are no longer able to buy due to the owner(s) no longer being around to sell the said item, be it books, movies or even ASL stuff. As long as MMP stays around, then anything owned by MMP would not fall under this. But as soon as MMP goes away, god forbid, then this law would prevent all of us from being left out in the cold. With electronic publishing, PDF's etc. I have to say I'm pretty surprised that there is not a copy of the ASLRB posted on the internet. (Not saying there should be, thats wrong and would hurt MMP).

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
*Someone* is around from which to buy the rights. If I wrote a scenario (ZG1) and then I died, my wife and/or children would have the copyright to my work (if I understand it correctly) and you could contact them to purchase that right.

If MMP went belly-up, I'm sure its executives would be the holder(s) of its property, IP or physical, or said property would be sold to some other entity.

Lastly, if there is truly no owner of a work, would copyright even apply? If *no one* has the copyright, whose rights would you be infringing?

dgdimick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you died..

Man I hate to start a post with that subject.. :( Anyway, your estate would own all of your property, unless you left it to someone/something else. But if a company goes belly up and they sell off all of the assests there can still be the off chance that no one claims/buys some of the assets. This happens all of the time.

When AH sold off ASL what happened to the General? It's just gone.. They didn't sell it to Hasbro, they just kind of let it die. Well what if there is/was a really cool scenario that I would like to play that was in a copy of the General? I'm currently out of luck if I can't find someone to sell me tha copy I need. If you photo-copy it and send it to me, you have broken the copyright owned by AH. Under this law as I understand you would be able to copy what I needed and send it to me. If MMP had not been started I think ASL would have died a slow death since there would be no way for anyone to step in and make copies of the RB to sell/give to others.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Re: If you died..

dgdimick said:
...you have broken the copyright owned by AH. Under this law as I understand you would be able to copy what I needed and send it to me.
If someone still has the copyright, why not simply ask them for the right to copy the scenario?

I'm not sure a law that compels entities to publish information is a good idea. What if said work was a defamatory book that I had worked years to get pulled from the shelves? Now, all of a sudden, my critics can put that work back into circulation because it is OOP?

If MMP had not been started I think ASL would have died a slow death since there would be no way for anyone to step in and make copies of the RB to sell/give to others.
And isn't this exactly the way the system is supposed to work? Work X is "abandoned" by Company X but Company Y has a motive (profit or otherwise) to publish Work X so they acquire the rights.