Should MMP spend more energies on HASLs or Action Packs?

ScoobySnacks

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
I liked to hear that they hope AP3 and VOTG will be ready in time for Origins '07. I take that to mean summer of '07. I think they will hit the summer time frame how about you?
I like to hear them say the sk boards will be up for individual sale after the map pack release. Good to know for planning.
I like to hear COB v2 will include Gung HO. I have neither so I will save my money and not buy GH and wait it out.
I like how they have decided to re-print Journal 2. We know that so we can wait and not purchase it at ebay prices.
I like to hear why they are expanding the non ASL line, sometimes at a faster rate. The info even helps make educated guesses on some of the release delay's.
I like how they give enough info about the production cycle to estimate where they are in the process. They could give more info...but they also could give less.

Need more examples?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Don't forget the Doomed Battalion reprint preorder - saved me from bidding up to 150 dollars last week too.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scooby,

I don't have any confidence we will see VoTG this summer. Unfortunately, I'm also pessimistic we will see the DB reprint this year either. And as a result of all of this, having the Map Bundle for Xmas seems like a 50-50 shot.

Earlier in the spring, a few of the forum curmudgeons came on to post they only expected MMP to be successful in releasing a couple of ASL releases this year. Before, I thought they were just a little too crusty. They're starting to look pretty bang-on now.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rodney Kinney and VASL have done more to "save" ASL than MMP, IMO and many others. There were other bidding companies who could have made, and can make credible licensing offers to Hasbro.
I disagree on both points. Well perhaps on the latter it may have been credible, but it likely would never have been heard. Hasbro had no interest in licensing ASL really. But when world famous pitcher Curt Schilling called, someone Hasbro execs thought it would be cool to meet and someone they could use to promote other products in their line, they listened. No other bidding company had a Curt Schilling to get Hasbro's attention & thus no other ASL entity really had a shot at licensing ASL from Hasbro IMO as they would not have gotten a meeting had they tried.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bret,

You're very fortunate to live in the FtF ASL hotbed of Ohio. Try talking to those ASL players with no FtF options (I was one of them for a good while). Without VASL, there would be neither AH-era nor MMP-era play for them. All of MMP's work would just be nice dense reading on a bookshelf.

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Without VASL, there would be neither AH-era nor MMP-era play for them.
ASL is a good enough drug to create it's own addicts - and now we have the SKs, which are great junkie-bait. You just need to be a persistent "pusher".

I play ASL as much for the social aspect as for the game itself - If I can't shake my opponents' hand after a scenario, I won't play (There may also be some motivation to "step away from the monitor" after working in front of one eight hours a day).

VASL may fill a supposed need for those unwilling to recruit local intrest, but I have found it nothing more than another ASL trinket.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
DaveStory,

Now you're sounding a little out to lunch, dude. Recruiting local interest is not a "just give it a try and it will happen" task.

This game ain't Monopoly. You need to find players who are most likely already experienced game players, are interested in WWII historical concepts, and then have the patience to even hack their way through the SKs. Sure it can be done, but it's far more rigourous a task than just asking the neighbour to play.

And for all the Euro, South American, and Japanese players on VASL, they have even larger FtF recruiting barriers in front of them.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Rodney Kinney and VASL have done more to "save" ASL than MMP, IMO and many others.

Wrong. VASL is just another way to play ASL. ASL was doing fine without VASL and would have continued to do fine without it. Besides MMP, the Internet and it's ability to help advertise and share information has done more.

Without MMP there is no more core modules. There would be no Journals, no new Rulebook, no Beyond Valor #2 or #3, no Historical Studies, no Doomed Battalions reprint, etc.

ASL would have died a slow death. You have said it yourself that the core modules need to be what MMP concentrates on and without MMP there is no more core modules or rulebook.

You've contradicted yourself in your hate for MMP.

>There were other bidding companies who could have made, and can make credible licensing offers to Hasbro.

Wrong again. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Name ONE other company that could bid for the ASL rights?

Only a celebrity that offered Hasbro 2 million for the rights to ASL could even get his foot in the door. Second, name ONE other company that is going to pay $250,000 for the initial licensing fees?

You are so totally wrong with your assumptions it's not even funny.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"Wrong. VASL is just another way to play ASL. ASL was doing fine without VASL and would have continued to do fine without it."

clearly you under estimate VASL's importance........ I am not saying that VASL saved ASL as I do not think it did, but MMP has a lot of customers whose only way to play ASL is via VASL. I should know I was one for a time (and there are/were a lot of us)...... Thankfully I now have to locals along with my VASL buddies.

Peace

Roger

Last edited:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
ah crap I just realized I let myself get into anothoer Portal/Wolkey spat.....

will I never learn:nuts:

Peace

Roger

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>clearly you under estimate VASL's importance........ I am not saying that VASL saved ASL as I do not think it did, but MMP has a lot of customers whose only way to play ASL is via VASL.

I'm not underestimating anything. VASL is important, yes. But it is not more important to ASL than MMP (as the Canadian HWSNBN claims) or the internet.

VASL might be third or fourth on the list. Th SKs might even be more important.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're very fortunate to live in the FtF ASL hotbed of Ohio. Try talking to those ASL players with no FtF options (I was one of them for a good while). Without VASL, there would be neither AH-era nor MMP-era play for them. All of MMP's work would just be nice dense reading on a bookshelf.
While it's true I am fortunate to have numerous options for FtF ASL local, w/o MMP picking up ASL I'm not sure VASL exists today. Would that kind of effort have gone into a dead game system?

And besides, it's not like games were not played remotely via the internet prior to VASL. I played a lot of PBEM scenarios prior to VASL's existence. It wasn't as convenient or "Face-to-Face-like" as VASL can be, but it was ASL & it was good. VASL's great - more games are played (and faster) than back in the PBEM day, but it's not like VASL invented remote ASL play (Al Gore again).

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"I'm not underestimating anything. VASL is important, yes. But it is not more important to ASL than MMP (as the Canadian HWSNBN claims) or the internet."

OK sorry from what I got from your post you did not feel it was very important......

"VASL might be third or fourth on the list. Th SKs might even be more important."

I do not think the SK are as important YET...... it seems like not a ton of people are making "the leap".....

we'll show them the light.....

Peace

Roger

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
>clearly you under estimate VASL's importance........ I am not saying that VASL saved ASL as I do not think it did, but MMP has a lot of customers whose only way to play ASL is via VASL.

I'm not underestimating anything. VASL is important, yes. But it is not more important to ASL than MMP (as the Canadian HWSNBN claims) or the internet.

Agreed, MMP is first. By quite a margin. The game would be dead and restricted to a few die hard grogies in isolated pockets if MMP and Kurt had not stepped up.

I do think that VASL is a strong 2nd with the SKs a close third. I guess I would class VASL to be the penultimate realization of ASL on the Internet.

In effect, the opportunity for live VASL play has enabled a lot of isolated (ASL-wise) folks to play and a lot of new folks to play more experienced and knowledgable folks that they would not normally have access to.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"Would that kind of effort have gone into a dead game system"

do you really think ASL would be dead? I am not certain Hasboro would let that cash cow die.... it may not be a large cash cow for them, but since they do no work, its really free money.....

Peace

Roger

MadDog_CDN

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Offensive, to say the least.

Grow up, you and Portal are sounding like a couple of old hens squawking over an egg. What is worse though, and I fully agree with this point, is you complained about Scott's same behaviour and now you do the same. Mr. Wolkey if I were an admin, I would ban you.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>do you really think ASL would be dead?

Yes, without a doubt. How many CCGs are going strong that haven't released new expansions? None. The only ones still going strong are the ones (MTG, L5R) with current support, someone who is in charge of the rules and releases new expansions on a regular basis.

Let's just take a look at the Rulebook and Beyond Valor. MMP created and published Rulebook #2 and reprinted BV #2 and #3. How many people are now playing because those two items were available to purchase.

Imagine if they weren't?

How much would a Rulebook or Beyond Valor cost today on eBay? Slowly but surely, players drop out and there would be no one to replace them. Tournament numbers would slowly drop then go away for good. There would still be a small core number of players, but TPPs wouldn't be flourishing as the numbers would be a lot smaller.

>I am not certain Hasboro would let that cash cow die....

How would they know they have a cash cow? Without Curt Shilling to offer them 2 million to buy the rights to ASL how would they know? No on else, but an All Star baseball player who pitched in the World Series and offered to promote other Hasbro games (see past Hasbro advertisements) would even get their foot in the door.

Who else in ASL could do that? Money talks and we are extremely fortunate that Shilling didn't lose interest in ASL before Avalon Hill collapsed.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Who else in ASL could do that? Money talks and we are extremely fortunate that Shilling didn't lose interest in ASL before Avalon Hill collapsed.

This i agree with. Was it really 2 million bucks to buy the rights?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Grow up, you and Portal are sounding like a couple of old hens squawking over an egg.

I happen to be disputing the mis-information that Portal is spewwing. I happen to have knowledge of what occurred while he is basing everything he says on assumption.

>you complained about Scott's same behaviour and now you do the same

Really?

Where have I lied and spread false information about ASL companies?

Where did I tell another member that I slept with his wife and that his children are actually his?

Where did I start topics with the sole purpose of creating a flame war?

When the Top Moderator asked me to stop and said that I had one last chance to stop, where did i tell him off?

Yup, that's me. We're the same.

>Mr. Wolkey if I were an admin, I would ban you.

You must be Canadian.

Last edited: