Should MMP spend more energies on HASLs or Action Packs?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Given that MMP has a limited amount of manpower resources to spend on ASL, I am curious what you think they should give a greater priority to--the production of ASL modules like Ortona or Manila, or the production of future Action Packs with new maps and overlays, like the ones Chas Argent is finishing up (my own Few Returned Action Pack is kind of an anomaly, as it was a scenario pack turned into an action pack by the desire to reprint some existing but long out of print boards; I am talking about action packs with new boards, overlays and scenarios).

Personally, though I wouldn't want to see HASLs disappear altogether, I think that higher priority should be given to Action Packs. My reasoning is that ASL as a whole gets a lot more use out of them. Most HASLs are just not played all that much; you can look at ROAR and see what I mean. Nor, in most cases, do they add to other ASL products.

Action Packs, on the other hand, have scenarios that are far more played. Furthermore, they contain resources that other scenario designers can utilize over and over and over again to make cool new scenarios. Just look at Action Pack 1: Boards 42 and 43 are among the most popular boards out there for scenarios. Action Pack 1 was an excellent addition to the ASL universe.

We all like cool looking maps and the idea of getting knee deep into particular historical battles. But the bottom line is that we play more geomorphic map scenarios by far. So should MMP prioritize things like action packs over HASLs?

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think we have a good mix of both going right now. The HASLs were clearly dominant for awhile but with your input and Chas' new assignment with MMP should keep the APs coming at a reasonably good clip.

I'd imagine that we are in the minority but we Iowa guys play more HASL than anything else, by a wide margin. Keep 'em coming!!

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Well this is a conundrum for me. I like HASLs a lot. I love the maps and love playing scenarios on the maps. One of my FtF buddies does not like HASLs, while the other loves them.

But, AP can bring OOP stuff back into print and gives a reason to release more new style (or just NEW) boards and overlays.

All in all, I think I like HASLs better, but only by a slight margin simply because there are tons of scenario packs getting released, but not as many HASLs.

Peace

Roger

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All in all, I think I like HASLs better, but only by a slight margin simply because there are tons of scenario packs getting released, but not as many HASLs.
But this isn't really true, I think. In the past 7 or 8 years, there has been one action pack released, just now, and it did not contain new maps or overlays. However, in that same time period, we saw the release of Watchtower, OVHS, Primosole Bridge, and maybe more (I can't remember if AP2 came out before ABTF and BRT or afterwards). And we have another, VOTG, on the verge of release.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldnt prioritize either one over the other, but keep a good balance. I personally like both equally well, while my only ftf partner prefers HASL. I also think HASL sees less tournament playtime than regular ASL so that may have some bearing on marketing future products.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Without doubt, HASLs should be the priority, IMO. Historical maps add so much more flavour than generic geomorphic, and larger scenarios / CGs are much more engaging to play than the current trend of tourney-oriented geomorphic scenario design.

I just wish Glennbo would get over his geomorphic fetish and take some of his great scenario design skills to the HASL domain. ;)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
So they have an unlimited amount of manpower resources?
How many fellows on this very forum would step up to playtest or design for them - or even volunteer to go in and sort printed products?

How many printing companies would step up to take their money and print products?

Unlimited is inaccurate also.

Finally, how many companies are there besides MMP capable of putting out quality ASL products?

Far more to consider than the narrow scope of the original question.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In theory, i'd like to see MMP produce a Journal, a boxed HASL, and a reprint every year. AP's every couple of years.

To me, AP's are good, but the Journal gives me the individual, non-HASL scenarios i need, and AP's should be primarily about introducing new boards to the system now that the core modules are finshed.

2 new boards every 2-3 years is good enough for me.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP's; with all the counters in the "mix" and a lot of new material
with which to "cook up" scenarios, I'd like to see AP's more often.
HASL's are very cool; but like that Ferrari in the garage, they don't
get taken out as much as the F-250 pickup.
co

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How many fellows on this very forum would step up to playtest or design for them - or even volunteer to go in and sort printed products?

How many printing companies would step up to take their money and print products?

Unlimited is inaccurate also.

Finally, how many companies are there besides MMP capable of putting out quality ASL products?

Far more to consider than the narrow scope of the original question.

It doesn't matter how many people you think you can pile onto the production process, it is still "limited resources"

Perhaps when you said Mark's comment was innacurate, maybe you are really saying it wasn't precise enough. Because, after all, Mark's comment was 100% accurate.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In theory, i'd like to see MMP produce a Journal, a boxed HASL, and a reprint every year. AP's every couple of years.

To me, AP's are good, but the Journal gives me the individual, non-HASL scenarios i need, and AP's should be primarily about introducing new boards to the system now that the core modules are finshed.

2 new boards every 2-3 years is good enough for me.
But why presume that flooding the market every year with ASL stuff is good for the market?

What has CH's approach done? Is there any research to indicate trends?

I think the current model is kind of yielding dividends, intentional or not. If you knew you were going to get a Journal or HASL module every six months, and that you could get reprints every time you wanted one, even 10 years later, there wouldn't be a frenzy of pre-orders just to lay hands on one, would there?

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"Wouldn't it be better to proceed from a more accurate presumption?"

Mark may state a lot of his presumptions as fact, but this one is pretty clear. MMP has a limited number of man hours they can spend on things and they always have a lot of irons in the fire. Not a shot on MMP, but the truth.

Peace

Roger

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The thread was not about flooding the market with anything. Does anybody think that MMP is in any danger of flooding the market with ASL products? We should be so unlucky.

The thread was about relative priorities and which you would prefer.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It doesn't matter how many people you think you can pile onto the production process, it is still "limited resources"

Perhaps when you said Mark's comment was innacurate, maybe you are really saying it wasn't precise enough. Because, after all, Mark's comment was 100% accurate.

That's not what I said. I asked if he shouldn't proceed from more accurate presumptions. His presumption is that MMP is the only company capable of providing quality ASL products, and he further presumes that they want to sell Journals and HASLs and other products but are hamstrung by a shortage of staff. I'm asking the board to step outside the box and consider some other issues, as mentioned in my other posts.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"But why presume that flooding the market every year with ASL stuff is good for the market?"

Look at all the official and unofficial stuff released every year. It would take a LOT of products to flood the market:clown:

Peace

Roger

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The thread was not about flooding the market with anything. Does anybody think that MMP is in any danger of flooding the market with ASL products? We should be so unlucky.

The thread was about relative priorities and which you would prefer.
I would prioritize HASL over AP's for the reasons i mentioned earlier, i.e. Journals do mostly the same thing as AP's minus new boards.