Should MMP pursue ASL designs out of the 9/1/39-9/1/45 WW2 Time frame?

Should MMP pursue Designs outside the traditional WW2 Period 9/1/39-9/1/45

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will buy the Korea module for the maps but doubt I will touch any good of the scenarios/counters
You will have* to touch the scenarios, the counters AND the rules just to get to the maps. I will make sure MMP sends you your box stacked so that this must happen. ;) Please feel free to send me your unwanted counters. I will pay the postage.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Yes, I have some interest in the Russian and Spanish civil wars, and early China conflicts.
I may not buy any of it, but still find it interesting.
I'd suspect that MMP would tend to shy away from subjects already well represented by a TPP, but who knows, if they figure it will sell
enough it's worth the effort.

Honestly, with all that's already available I'd have a very hard time trying to fit in more.

My favorite subject is really WWI, but tactically it's a mess, strategically it can be pretty stale.
Operationally it offers quite a bit of interest, I have Breakthrough Cambrai from MMP and it's good.
More like that would be cool, but that's not ASL.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
When I saw the thread title my immediate thought was that the start date was already too late, the range really should begin from 1936. We already have official scenarios for the Spanish Civil War that play well within the system and are popular. Likewise, the Sino-Japanese portion of World War Two was already well underway before 1939, and it would be fairer to say that the first shots of the global conflict occurred on Chinese soil.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
the problems of the designs out of the traditional time frame is that they tend to become too SSRish to compensate the lack of specific rules to adjust the taste of the action to something "similar" to the peculiar tactis/weapons of the period.
This is a bad thing because we do not need new special rules just to depict WW1 Cossacks, beatles-time Marines, modern Partisans or archaic mines.
not mentioning the problem about the squad level action usually lacking in the pre WW2 era.

That said I think that WW2 includes the first Sino-Japanese war, the Italian Colonial war, and of course the Spanish Civil war

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the problems of the designs out of the traditional time frame is that they tend to become too SSRish to compensate the lack of specific rules to adjust the taste of the action to something "similar" to the peculiar tactis/weapons of the period.
This is a bad thing because we do not need new special rules just to depict WW1 Cossacks, beatles-time Marines, modern Partisans or archaic mines.
not mentioning the problem about the squad level action usually lacking in the pre WW2 era.

That said I think that WW2 includes the first Sino-Japanese war, the Italian Colonial war, and of course the Spanish Civil war
No, I think the 'plan' is that whatever post-WWII ASL would be a module (like Korea say) with its own base set of rules and Nationality attributes and so forth, that would include counters. Thus the amount of SSRs would not, or should not, be any more than one finds in a range of present day ASL scenarios, because the base rules are dealing with all this sort of stuff.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I think you mean Second Sino-Japanese War, the first one being 1894-95. However I agree totally with the sentiment, those wars really being the overture to WW2.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This has to be one of the best polls ever. Although at least one person reported voting for both "yes" and "no", the sum of "yes" and "no" votes stands at 94.7% (60-11 out of 75 voters). It's wonderful; I just don't know what the numbers mean.

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I, for instance, didn't read the instructions before voting, so I clicked on a number of possibilities, but didn't clik the "yes" answer as it seemed to me it could mean "all of these".

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I, for instance, didn't read the instructions before voting, so I clicked on a number of possibilities, but didn't clik the "yes" answer as it seemed to me it could mean "all of these".
I think we're playing "no harm no foul" rules, so it's good.

JR

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think we're playing "no harm no foul" rules, so it's good.

JR
Bingo. The general trend certainly seems to be at the very least this, the majority of respondents to the poll, seem to not mind seeing MMP handle other periods using the ASL system. The actual periods that interest people clearly varies with individual taste. Also, the polls are still open in California, so we are not going to call the race prematurely ;-).