Shootings at NZ Mosques

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Whether it’s US, UK, Canada or even Iraq, I’d rather have 20k debt than 147k... Or do you disagree?

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have to jump in to defend the Scottish mountains. Sure, they are not as high as others, they are so old. They might not be quite as wild but they are magnificent.
I work looking out over the sea (It is literally just across the road) yet can see the mountains from my house and am about half an hour from them.
There is a lot to be said for living on a small island.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
I have to jump in to defend the Scottish mountains. Sure, they are not as high as others, they are so old. They might not be quite as wild but they are magnificent.
I work looking out over the sea (It is literally just across the road) yet can see the mountains from my house and am about half an hour from them.
There is a lot to be said for living on a small island.
They are magnificent. I agree with that.

It sounded a little like I was dissing Scotland. I wasn't. Scotland and North Wales are probably my two favourite places in Britain. When I visited Loch Eil a few weeks back we came away with a brochure for their log cabins on the site there. In an insanely beautiful place, Yet only 5 minutes from Fort William and Ben Nevis overlooking of course (stunning).

Only £40k-£50k! Wife and me are now in prolonged debate on whether, at the end of this year when we have some shares materialising, we sell our Motorhome and invest in one of these cabins, initially as a holiday home, but come 3-5 years as more of a long term home. We can never live in it as our primary home, but there's nothing to stop us living in it for 9-10 months of the year, provided we retain our primary home.

I have to admit to getting carried away with the idea. By the end of the weekend I was looking on Ebay at the prices of small, sea capable, boats. The Loch opens up into the sea. Took a little while to get back down to earth. Something about pottering around the Scottish Lochs in a boat, fishing with my son (and hopefully grandson at some point), whets my appetite.

Boring bastard I am. Nutterdickhead is right on that score :D

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Whether it’s US, UK, Canada or even Iraq, I’d rather have 20k debt than 147k... Or do you disagree?
It really does depends. And often comes down to personal choice.

I've always been comfortable with the idea of debt, provided it's serviceable debt. I've always been of the mindset that I'd rather have something now, than save and wait for it. Life's too short, and too fickle for the latter. So my life has always been a financial balancing act between getting what I want, doing what I want and having the financial means to do so, and paying/planning for retirement.

Course I'd hate to be in a position of unaffordable debt.

Had an interesting conversation with a financial advisor last year which might throw an interesting spin on what you're suggesting about debt. We have some mortgage remaining on our house and some money coming end of this year. So, the deliberation we have is whether to pay the mortgage off, or whether to throw the money into our Pension pot. My and my wife's mindsets have always been that you pay your debt off first and always. The mortgage advisor asked us why we'd do that when the interest rate on our mortgage is around the 2% mark, yet our Pension Pot returns roughly three times that amount annually. We've followed her advice of course and opted to retain the debt for the time being. Feels illogical though.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
The Left’s common tactic of smearing their opponents with the goal of total power.
They are just new types of stalinists, simple put gulag wanker dreamers.

This article explains the leftist playbook of hate in simple terms that have occured in recent years. https://spectator.org/how-disagreement-became-hate/
What is it with you and Gulags. You seem obsessed with the word.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is it with you and Gulags. You seem obsessed with the word.
In my experience whenever a right wing fanatic brings up some weird way in which to accuse the center and left it's because that's what they want to do themselves. They're stalinists screaming about communists.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Lies and slander.
It's literally NOT lies and slander at all.

Paramacaroon has stated it on many occasions. Tater also in the past. Your pal Marshall Anales used to bang on all the time about some kind of fucking modern Crusade.

So, with respect. Again, it's really not lies and slander, given that I've seen the comments with my own eyes.

Now (with absolutely no respect) you're in their gang of fantasists. All with that same yellow streak of piss running through them like a sewer. You gonna complain about being threatened again? To the moderators? Or to your mummy?

:D:D:D

Last edited:

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
End of the day, you have to pay it off sometime. For some, debt is vehicle to afford something they don’t have and they use it to get something now rather than later, at a price. I’m reasonably uncomfortable with that. Saying that, the best bit of advice I ever got, was that in business, never do anything with your own money, let the banks take all the risk (assuming you can service the debt)
It really does depends. And often comes down to personal choice.

I've always been comfortable with the idea of debt, provided it's serviceable debt. I've always been of the mindset that I'd rather have something now, than save and wait for it. Life's too short, and too fickle for the latter. So my life has always been a financial balancing act between getting what I want, doing what I want and having the financial means to do so, and paying/planning for retirement.

Course I'd hate to be in a position of unaffordable debt.

Had an interesting conversation with a financial advisor last year which might throw an interesting spin on what you're suggesting about debt. We have some mortgage remaining on our house and some money coming end of this year. So, the deliberation we have is whether to pay the mortgage off, or whether to throw the money into our Pension pot. My and my wife's mindsets have always been that you pay your debt off first and always. The mortgage advisor asked us why we'd do that when the interest rate on our mortgage is around the 2% mark, yet our Pension Pot returns roughly three times that amount annually. We've followed her advice of course and opted to retain the debt for the time being. Feels illogical though.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
End of the day, you have to pay it off sometime. For some, debt is vehicle to afford something they don’t have and they use it to get something now rather than later, at a price. I’m reasonably uncomfortable with that. Saying that, the best bit of advice I ever got, was that in business, never do anything with your own money, let the banks take all the risk (assuming you can service the debt)
Of course. And usually it's paid off with a premium. Course it is.

Banks.....reminds me of that quotation "owe the bank £100k and the bank own you.....owe the bank £1m and you own the bank" :)