Shooting through a Terrain Blaze

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen:

If I understand the following rule correctly, I can fire right though a Stone Building that is ablaze (It says below that "Fire has no other effect [i.e. other than the Hindrance?] on LOS." Is that correct? If not, why not?

25.2 SMOKE: Any Burning Wreck or terrain Blaze is automatically shrouded by smoke up to four levels [EXC: none in Heavy Winds (25.63); two levels in a Mild Breeze (A24.4)] above the level of the Fire in that hex, so no actual smoke counters need be placed on those Fires. However, Wreck Blazes cause a +2 Hindrance DRM rather than the +3 Hindrance DRM of regular smoke. The SMOKE Hindrance DRM replaces the normal Wreck Hindrance DRM (D9.4) except in the case of an already established Fire Lane (A9.22), or in Heavy Winds (25.63), where only the Wreck Hindrance DRM would apply. Both Wreck and terrain Blazes can create drifting Dispersed Smoke (A24.61) in a Mild Breeze. Flames do not generate smoke. Fire has no other effect on LOS. See also A24.2 and A24.4-.8.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The fire itself has no other effect on LOS. The obstacle is not removed by the fire (unless it is removed by collapse [B25.66] or there is a similar rule or SSR that says it is), and the obstacle continues to exist in the hex, but together with its smokey B25.2 effects. It can't be entered of course [B25.4], but nothing removes it.

A wreck blaze in a terrain blaze is removed, which is sort of similar in that it will potentially remove a hard hindrance to a firelane. Oddly enough if a hex that contains a wreck that is not blazing, and that hex becomes a terrain blaze in some way, the wreck does not blaze (unless fired on and hit suitably as a wreck) nor is it removed. That I think is an incongruity in the rules.

JR

Last edited:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The fire itself has no other effect on LOS. The obstacle is not removed by the fire (unless it is removed by collapse [B25.66] or there is a similar rule or SSR that says it is), and the obstacle continues to exist in the hex, but together with its smokey B25.2 effects. It can't be entered of course [B25.4], but nothing removes it.

A wreck blaze in a terrain blaze is removed, which is sort of similar in that it will potentially remove a hard hindrance to a firelane. Oddly enough if a hex that contains a wreck that is not blazing, and that hex becomes a terrain blaze in some way, the wreck does not blaze (unless fired on and hit suitably as a wreck) nor is it removed. That I think is an incongruity in the rules.

JR
Thanks, JRV. What you're saying makes perfect sense from a realism perspective. I guess I'm just scratching my head still about the line "Fire has no other effect on LOS." Why do they put it so categorically?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks, JRV. What you're saying makes perfect sense from a realism perspective. I guess I'm just scratching my head still about the line "Fire has no other effect on LOS." Why do they put it so categorically?
Because fire doesn't have any other effects on LOS. A building is not a fire. To think otherwise is to suppose erroneously.

JR

Last edited: