ASL producers I will never play or buy from again.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hmm is there a chance that his account has been compromised and someone is running amok until he can change the password?, just seems uncharacteristic thats all.
No this is Scott on a rant mission ok !!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I could never figure out Scott. His "episodes" are not tied to any time period, like weeks, months or years, that I recognise. Maybe his swings are tied to a planetary system around another star, IE Scott is an alien.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could never figure out Scott. His "episodes" are not tied to any time period, like weeks, months or years, that I recognise. Maybe his swings are tied to a planetary system around another star, IE Scott is an alien.
no, Scott is just revolting in regards to LCP. - -- wait... . Scott's rants have always been revolting, Scott is now rebelling....

;)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Or a cat.
Wait.
Cat's are aliens.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You need to look into TPPs a bit more. So MMP has "Best of Friends" and a "Best of Dispatches" (titles approximate, from memory) if you look at the originals of these they by my best recollection are 95-99% the same. That means these TPP can produce on the perfect glide path.
I got whole huge d-ring binders full of TPP from back in the day. I never play any of it. OTOH, none of my MMP stuff is collecting dust.

My decision was based on a lot of experience.

You can also find TPP designers, like Tom Morin, made a design for MMP...but his designs when he has his TPP hat on for Dispatches design sound scenarios...which means Dispatches PT-crew is well grounded. This goes on...you can find Chas Smith designs with MMP stamps...you can find his designs with a BFP hat on...and again ROAR shows well grounded results.

In both TPP and MMP you can find "issues" some for the latter have recently been aired here on GS and corrected by MMP.
Never said all TPP were bad or that MMP was perfect. But there is no denying that there is more risk in TPP purchases than in MMP purchases. Not to mention that anything purchased from MMP is always going to be "canon" relative to ASL.

This is not to say that there are not TPP out there that are sub-standard to less than sub-standard, but to lump them all together is a misjudgment, and shows you are not well versed in where ASL is now...but might have been at some point...and might still be for certain TPP.
Well, it is my money, so I can lump or not as I see fit.

Also regarding "from people I know"....well that would be interesting to know as well...who do you know?
People I play against regularly. Also known (respected?) players on GS and other forums. Whenever I see a review posted (for TPP or MMP) I read it.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got whole huge d-ring binders full of TPP from back in the day. I never play any of it. OTOH, none of my MMP stuff is collecting dust.
Exactly, you make my case for me..."back in the day..."

My decision was based on a lot of experience.
Exactly, old experience. Play that old scenario your will get the same experience try the new TPP and your experience is not set to be fixed as it was.

Never said all TPP were bad ...
You certainly implied it to the nth degree in your post above at #36 "After numerous horrid results from 3rd party purchases"

Anyways. My post was just to try and help you see and learn more about ASL. Clearly its better that you stay fixed in time and place.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott, know for a fact that LCP is improving editing on products being sold---I am one of at least three proofreaders George is using currently (my name is listed as such on many of his products) and am very diligent in reading over any materials he sends to me for proofing and turning in corrections I believe are needed. I also know he does do playtesting as he conducts much of his playtesting with the Victoria ASL Club,of which I am an honorary member,and I do read the playtest reports posted in their Facebook group.

As for the JAVA scenarios,George has stated they are strictly for fun and may not be balanced,that is why he offers them as free downloads.
Perhaps try one of the other JAVA scenarios and see if you like it better. The maps alone are worth it,even if you do not like the scenario,as can use the map for DYO , SASL, etc.

BTW, got any more Budapest scenarios you working on? Loved FT106 Counterattack Along the Danube,and would like if you have any more designs like that.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
???‍♂
Exactly, you make my case for me..."back in the day..."
"case"...??? What case? Are you implying that your trying to convince me to start buying everything TPP because there might be a few pearls mixed in the manure? If so, you can stop wasting your time...ain't happening.

Exactly, old experience. Play that old scenario your will get the same experience try the new TPP and your experience is not set to be fixed as it was.
If they were giving it away free, maybe I would try it. But I don't think I will be gambling wads of cash on the off chance that your opinion of TPP is generally correct. Not to mention that I have more "canon" ASL than I could play in a life time. I have grown (wisely) beyond the "completest" thinking.

You certainly implied it to the nth degree in your post above at #36 "After numerous horrid results from 3rd party purchases"
So you translate "numerous" as "all"...maybe that is the problem...you are speaking a different language.

Anyways. My post was just to try and help you see and learn more about ASL. Clearly its better that you stay fixed in time and place.
?

It is better that I trust to my 30+ years of ASL experience rather than your fly-by-night advice.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It is better that I trust to my 30+ years of ASL experience rather than your fly-by-night advice.
Tater,

The Top TPP in order of quality, consistency and on par (if not in some cases excelling) MMP.

BFP (Bounding Fire Productions)
LFT (Not going to try to spell that)
Lone Cannuck (despite what some may think, and you can download some for free to see the quality)

Note these 3 produce scenarios, campaign games, maps and counters.

Friendly Fire
Rally Point
Schwerpunkt

These three only produce scenarios (although Friendly Fire has produced one map and a couple of counters).

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP (Bounding Fire Productions)
I thought BFP was defunct?

LFT (Not going to try to spell that)
I have come close to buying some of their stuff...I did buy the rat charts. It's a budget thing.

Lone Cannuck (despite what some may think, and you can download some for free to see the quality)
I have played "Crossing The Morro"...I thought it was an Awesome CG. The only reason I haven't purchased some of their stuff is that I had ordered RF, Hatten, Deluxe ASL redux and the 2nd MAP bundle. I am afraid my old lady will crack my skull if I drop some more cash on ASL. They are high on my list once I get the aforementioned items taken care of.

Besides "Crossing the Morro" would you recommend any of their other products that contain CG's?

Friendly Fire
Rally Point
Schwerpunkt
I have tried these guys before...nothing wrong with their products but I didn't like their style of scenarios.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HOB yes. But BFP defunct? Where have you been living? BFP is very alive and well, thank you very much. And we have a very full pipeline of quality, playtested materials featuring some of the best scenario designers in the business which you can expect to hit the shelves over the next years. We may not be 'official', but we produce the very best, quality ASL products that we feel rival or surpasses those that MMP puts out and take great pride in doing so. We will not and do not release something to you folks before we feel it is ready. Just not our style. We also strive to support our products both during and after the sale.

Last edited:

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good lord, I thought the stupidity was limited to just the political forums, but nope. After reading this thread, there is plenty of stupid things to be argued about in the ASL world too. Stupid is as stupid does I suppose. Seems pretty simple since this is a hobby - don't like a scenario, don't play it. Don't like the material a publisher puts out, don't buy it. However, stop thinking individual opinions mean shit other than to show off that grown men can act like a 14 year old drama queens on their first period on occasion.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I have come close to buying some of their stuff...I did buy the rat charts. It's a budget thing.

I have played "Crossing The Morro"...I thought it was an Awesome CG. The only reason I haven't purchased some of their stuff is that I had ordered RF, Hatten, Deluxe ASL redux and the 2nd MAP bundle. I am afraid my old lady will crack my skull if I drop some more cash on ASL. They are high on my list once I get the aforementioned items taken care of.

Besides "Crossing the Morro" would you recommend any of their other products that contain CG's?

I have tried these guys before...nothing wrong with their products but I didn't like their style of scenarios.
One that I have always liked was LCP's Purple Heart Draw. Like you I have to maximize my ASL purchases to fit a ROF's (retired old fart's) budget but I thought the money was well spent and have played that one 3 times already and would be willing to have at it again. As far as BFP goes I do not believe one can go wrong on their Blood & Jungle, Crucible of Steel and Poland In Flames offerings but if you're like me these were not priority products but those to be purchased when circumstances permit. The rub here is their boards are seldom used for products outside their line as well as are many of their specialty units but well worth the purchase for their intrinsic value and quality alone when able to purchase these items. JMHO of course.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm not clear on why everyone is so keen to sell things to Tater that he doesn't want to buy. Do you all get commissions? 'Cause I don't. Just sayin'.

JR
'Cause if Tater wants to buy he doesn't need to be sold. Just sayin'.