ASL producers I will never play or buy from again.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
waiting to see if this rant of Scott's lasts longer than his anti- Critical Hit rants do..... or his anti- Pitcavage rants do.... and waiting for Spencer to give us the odds on that question as well...... ;)

Just follow that ancient wisdom of ASL:

Arch71

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hmm is there a chance that his account has been compromised and someone is running amok until he can change the password?, just seems uncharacteristic thats all.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I am pretty sure the Java series of scenarios are the "Just for Fun" series. They are usually big and the balance is known to be suspect going in. George doesn't hide that. That's why he gives them away. -- jim

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hmm is there a chance that his account has been compromised and someone is running amok until he can change the password?, just seems uncharacteristic thats all.
Uncharacteristic? You must be new around these parts. The rant is pretty much classic Holst. If he did get hacked, they have captured his style flawlessly.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Most of the time Scott is reasonable enough. But there are those days when he rolls a Berserk result on the HoB table.

That does not mean that his rants are more acceptable than those of any other. But it might help to get the picture of what's going on.

von Marwitz

dr dull

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Well, having just played Java 14 Rossino and it being an unbalanced dog, as with many LC products, I think its time to stop purchasing from this guy. I think maybe one in scenario in each of his scenario packs might be balanced, but on the whole most of his stuff is just badly edited and playtested garbage. LC is the modern Paul Kinney of ASL lol

"Shit ASL producers I will never play or buy from again"

Eeeeh if you paid for this Shitproducerproduct youve been had it is actually for free.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I can not comment on this product because it is one I have not played. I can, however comment on the attitude towards playtesting that LC has.
We were contacted to play test a scenario which we duly did and returned a fairly damning report on the game. There were rule problems, the forces seemed a bit unbalanced (need to up the defenders by 20%) and overall it was a very dull game, one we would never have played if not for playtesting.
I’ve returned such reports before and, frankly, been ignored or even had the designer go off in a hissy fit.
I was therefor surprised when George asked us to playtest another of his products and dropped that scenario from the final pick. He listens to the playtest reports and reacts to them.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem is it is not just the free products, it is most of the LC purchasable products too. I mean, when your cranking out two scenario packs, a couple of HASL's per a year, how much actual playtesting is done on such products? I might find frf, DTF and SP to be boring, heavily scripted or at times unfun to play but they are balanced and usually why those outfits are the too go guys for balanced scenarios to play.

"Shit ASL producers I will never play or buy from again"

Eeeeh if you paid for this Shitproducerproduct youve been had it is actually for free.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, having just played Java 14 Rossino and it being an unbalanced dog, as with many LC products, I think its time to stop purchasing from this guy. I think maybe one in scenario in each of his scenario packs might be balanced, but on the whole most of his stuff is just badly edited and playtested garbage. LC is the modern Paul Kinney of ASL lol
Let's just call a spade a spade here...

Given 1) JAVA scenarios from LC are FREE 2) Not playtested, and 3) admittedly very likely unbalanced...

the above post calling out LC on a public forum - using profanity - is a new low for the repeatedly seeking new and lower lows, Mr. Scott.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played 4 LC scenarios at the recent Heroes tourney in Blackpool. All went down to the last turn, 2 down to the last CC.
BB4 Zoot Suit Boys
HH5 Needed Elsewhere
Q1 Simple Mission
BB3 Haywire Communications

I should add that none of the above were actually tournament scenarios. I had a great time.

Cheers

Paul

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never played any LC but I decided a long time ago to stop buying the 3rd party stuff. It was just way to risky for my limited gaming funds. 3rd party outfits just don't have the same incentive as MMP to do the best job possible. After numerous horrid results from 3rd party purchases I just stopped. Now, only if I see multiple outstanding reviews from people I know will I even consider 3rd party.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never played any LC but I decided a long time ago to stop buying the 3rd party stuff. It was just way to risky for my limited gaming funds. 3rd party outfits just don't have the same incentive as MMP to do the best job possible. After numerous horrid results from 3rd party purchases I just stopped. Now, only if I see multiple outstanding reviews from people I know will I even consider 3rd party.
[Note the post to follow is neither a critique not endorsement of LC, and I am not a paid spokesman or otherwise reimbursed.]

You need to look into TPPs a bit more. So MMP has "Best of Friends" and a "Best of Dispatches" (titles approximate, from memory) if you look at the originals of these they by my best recollection are 95-99% the same. That means these TPP can produce on the perfect glide path.

You can also find TPP designers, like Tom Morin, made a design for MMP...but his designs when he has his TPP hat on for Dispatches design sound scenarios...which means Dispatches PT-crew is well grounded. This goes on...you can find Chas Smith designs with MMP stamps...you can find his designs with a BFP hat on...and again ROAR shows well grounded results.

In both TPP and MMP you can find "issues" some for the latter have recently been aired here on GS and corrected by MMP.

This is not to say that there are not TPP out there that are sub-standard to less than sub-standard, but to lump them all together is a misjudgment, and shows you are not well versed in where ASL is now...but might have been at some point...and might still be for certain TPP.

Also regarding "from people I know"....well that would be interesting to know as well...who do you know?

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll be more than happy to take those LC products that you have before you discard them!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ya critical shit can leave a bad after taste in ones life. But people still buy from them but never play any of it. What does get played that I would consider top quality TPP and fun? BFP, LFT and dispatche's from the bunker. 90% of those scenarios / HASL's are usually spot on. Sure there is a dog in the mix but aint that the case for MMP too? IE no one is perfect but at least they put 100% effort into their products.

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
The way I see it, if I get one scenario that I would play again and two others that I felt were balanced and interesting, out of the same product , I'm coming out ahead purchase wise in regard to scenario packs. Modules are different in that I will play every scenario from them and they contain so much more than just the scenarios.

Basically two scenarios played out of 8 or 10 means I've probably got 6-8 hours playing time out of the pack, which is better value and cheaper than the equivalent of going to the movies twice