Shiny Silver Planes

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In all the years of reading books and watching documentaries I've never heard an explanation on why the late war ground base airplanes were not painted.

I speculate that the following reasons are:
  1. Camouflage is no longer needed to hide from attacks on airfields due to air superiority.
  2. Want to be seen to encourage the enemy to come up and fight.
  3. Saves weight.
  4. Saves resources.
  5. Less drag than flat paint.
  6. All the above.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Reminds me of the old German army quip "USAAF planes were shiny metal, RAF planes were camouflaged and Luftwaffe planes were invisible".

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Although I'm guessing they'd never have copped to it, in addition to the standard reasons I strongly suspect the USAAF guys just thought it looked cool.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Perhaps interesting is that the Navy did not adopt the idea during WWII.

JR

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Contrary to popular belief, most Natural Metal aircraft were waxed or over-sprayed with a clear coat, thus allowing the silver primer and natural metal surfaces to show through. This not only reduced the weight of the aircraft, but allowing for improved range, speed, and performance.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Navy and Marine planes also tended to be around salt water so painting protected the stuff like rivets and unprotected metal from corrosion.
it still happens, horribly. Nothing is more corrosive an environment for aircraft grade aluminum, magnesium, and copper alloys than being on an ocean-going ship taking salt spray from uncounted numbers of waves. Today's modern A/C use corrosion-resistant alloys, corrosion inhibiting primer coats, corrosion preventative topcoats (2 primer, 3 top) - and still suffer from large to extreme cases of dissimilar and intergranular corrosion (the worst two of the bunch) - along with all other types as well, which are not as debilitating to the strength of the materials.

USN/USMC went with the dark blue topside, light gull grey lower surfaces, as a method of camouflage - at the beginning of naval aviation, most A/C were doped and stretched fabric over aluminum alloy inner structure - this really did not change until the F2A Buffalo, the SDB Dauntless and the SB2C Vindicator were finalized as onboard standard types. Even then,many later war a/c still used doped fabric for a main skin, rather than stressed metals, including the TBM Avenger, and the F4F-3 Wildcat models. skin fabric dope dries to a light cream color in most cases (this has changed in the last 40 years or so as newer dope material components have bene used to assist with matching paint schemes.). Light beige or cream, solid anodized aluminum, or mottled greens, were simply too easy to spot from above against an ocean backdrop.

Brad M-V points it out above, but most "silver" skins were anodized aluminum alloys, and were far from shiny silver in their appearance up close. It was the most efficient way to both save weight and to protect the a/c from corrosion. Side benefits were a significant cost savings per unit as no paint was expended.