Shenandoah Valley GBACW

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Just got Death Valley - Battles for the Shenandoah Valley by GMT games. It uses the GBACW design rules. Saw Richard Berg's name and knew it was going to be good. The box is medium size but definitely weighty. That is due to the 7 counter sheets. You get a lot of good quality material.........I am impressed !.......The kicker is that you get 3 full size maps aka Terrible Swift Sword , but also 2 smaller ones ......Hold onto your potatoes ! The maps are printed on both sides , so you get an extra 3 large sized maps and 2 smaller ones for double the play area............... Niiiice !....the maps are great and really functional.

I have read some reviews and it is a top notch game. I love it when people whinge about the complexity - because I then know that it is the right game for me. Nicely set out rule books and Battle scenarios.

You can keep track of ammunition expenditure and fatigue levels - so this is a big improvement over the original Berg games. Counters are easy to pop out and good sound card stock. They do not mention the counter number but it isat least 1600 and probably over 1800.

I have read that Jackson's 1862 valley campaign is a masterclass in strategy - and with the 1864 campaign also included - you have a deep and involving experience in the Art and conduct of war. Jackson was outnumbered and at one point faced 3 Yankee armies and won..............Yee Haaah !

I am very happy with this purchase........meaty goodness for your bucks..........Rating 9/10.

I of 7 counter sheets...........

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are 1960 counters................I would classify this as a semi - monster game as there is not one battle but a bunch split between 1862 and 1864. Interestingly - they have opted for counters facing a hex vertices- so you get two front , two flank and two rear hex-sides.

The back side of the counter reflects disordered state. The inclusion of refuse left and right flank markers and extended line is good. Most of the horse regiments are made up of 2 battalions and losses are by 50 men. The colored boxes behind the cohesion number between the strength and movement points is a nice touch , as it tells you the brigade formation

I have a gripe with the shortness of some scenarios but a board-game can be tinkered with to your hearts content. You have the maps and counters.........the rules - so have at it............Are 2 counter trays enough ? Try 6 !..........:rolleyes:...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

And let's not forget that JTS has recently released Shenandoah Campaign Game with 176 scenarios..........spoilt for choice.

They have even got little white tents for cantonments - ain't that cute !.........it looks better in twice size but I had to reduce the pic. :)...to post...