SHASL (Solitaire Historical ASL) Campaign.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cross posted from
Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

a little more detail hear as this really has to do with SASL

Several years ago I ran a GSASL on the 1st Division's european tour of '44-'45 . There were about 12 missions and a lot of guys sing up for it and quite a few played through the whole thing. almost all who did enjoyed it and told me about it. Of course I had all the AAR's and had a great time reading them and interacting with the guys,

Since then I've always wanted to put the whole things into a single campaign format but had a lot of trouble thinking of how. In the GASL each player is a company commander and therefore is in a battalion of a regiment. Each regiment had a different objective from the other two with each battalion different missions for their companies.
Now over the big picture some companies had the same Mission as other in different Regiments but not necessarily Campaign Objective for their Battalion or even Regiment.
The heart of the campaign to me is to incorporate the different Regimental and Battalion objective and reflect that into the individual campaign Mission that players will play.

I've so far expanded the total Campaign Missions to 18 and worked out a fundamental structure for the Regiment and Battalion Objectives. Its basic and I'm still thinking on this point as I work out some of the details about Missions at the company level.

daniel

simonsimple

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Can't wait to hear more about it, I wish I were playing GSASL but I play so slowly I can't imagine I could sync up decently.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Daniel,I am very interested in this. I am looking for an SASL CG to play right now and did complete the Darby's Rangers one in LFT France 1940 issue. I was also in the Cyrenaica 1941 SASL CG but it just stopped suddenly.

Am interested in seeing what you come up and/or signing up to play.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Add me to the chorus of those interested in seeing how this turns out. Out of curiosity, how many missions do GSASL campaigns usually last?

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
thanks for the response and that includes those who liked my post. I will be posting to this thread and on the main page also when i actually have something to post. It is going to take until the end of spring before I have the Regimental Orders sorted out. At that point I then have to review the whole flow of the campaign and how it will work so that this is not a one trick pony. My aim is to make it something that could be replayed from start to finish and not be merely a repeat or something predictable (other than the Allies win the war). A player could lose every game [Mission] but would still play the next Campaign Mission because that is where the regiment went next. You would have to play with a penalty of some sort, but you can still play the next Campaign Mission. It's a matter of translating the GSASL idea into a one player Campaign. GSASL had some very nice little goodies tucked into it that made it a unique playing experience.

Hear is the link to GSASL
http://www.showcase.netins.net/web/lubbensite/gsasl.htm
if you read the GSASL rules and you'll get a idea of what I'm talking about.

P.S. there is no usual # of Missions in a GSASL campaign, it's up to the guy who is running it.

daniel

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I pretty much play SASL only. Would love the Finnish charts and some third party (CH mostly) charts. I believe they have never been constructed. But, come on, the Finns, that is a straight up core update.