Sharing counter toolbar configuration

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've changed the counter toolbar to a much more sensible configuration and would like to share this with my opponent. Is there a file I can send to him which will let him import this configuration? I've peeked into the VASL module but couldn't find anything immediately obvious. Can I just send him the entire vmod?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Search hidden files and folders for a folder called qcconfigs. You should see one or more XML files in there that you should be able to pass around.

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, zgrose. Found it. For future reference of others, the file you're looking for is located at (OS Drive)\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\qcconfigs

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Might be helpful for others if people can share theirs or maybe the developers could incorporate some of the better ones into the plugin directly.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That will cost you years of Googling unless you have some friend here--that or your immortal soul. Fortunately for the residents of Hades, I will spare them the indignity of your visit.

Basically, click on the potato-masher guy and copy your current config. After that, I think the 'modify' settings becomes available and using that, you can kind of drop and drag around until you get what you want.

Screenshot from 2017-11-15 13-50-48.png

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I make no claim about being able to organize stuff, but this works for me. Please improve upon this as you see fit, perhaps some of the *most* common items not going into a drop down list or other things you creative types can come up with. Again, I would like to see others config files if possible.

Note: I can't upload xml files, so I put it into a .zip file.

Attachments

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Mine looks like this (though of course it does not show the dropdowns):

bar.jpg
I guess, though, that it requires a rather individual approach for everyone. It is not only the preference of icons that one might want in the bar but also the limitations of screen size, window-use (seperate or combined), space-saving considerations, etc.

As a zip:

Attachments

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My config has the phase specific counters organized by the phase in which they are removed. For instance, Shock and UK are in the dropdown under DM, and Infantry Smoke has a subsection under the resid in the MPh dropdown. After that we have infantry status, prisoners, acquisition, ammo markers, malf markers, ordnance smoke, vehicle status markers (includes motion, VBM, hull down, immob, etc) and some final miscellaneous categories. There's no DTO or PTO specific stuff since I play mostly ETO. I've uploaded my config and attached it to this post.

Attachments

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks much and the explanation helps quite a bit! Looking forward to seeing more.

Pretty sure this will help other enjoy VASL more. :)

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find it's incredibly convenient to have the ammo depletion counters close at hand since my smoke attempts always seem to roll high!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I find it's incredibly convenient to have the ammo depletion counters close at hand since my smoke attempts always seem to roll high!
In that case, you need "still have special ammo" counters...:D

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
YMMV but special ammo depletion is better done with the Label instead of a counter obscuring things.
Of course you are correct. I was only teasing dur about his bad luck when trying for Special Ammo. ;)

von Marwitz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Thanks, zgrose. Found it. For future reference of others, the file you're looking for is located at (OS Drive)\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\qcconfigs
Is that file hierarchy for a Windows environment or a Mac environment? I have a Mac and I have not yet been able to find it.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
~/Library/Application Support/VASSAL/qcconfigs

Shift-Command-G and put that path in.

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
YMMV but special ammo depletion is better done with the Label instead of a counter obscuring things.
Correct, and situationally I absolutely do this. However I usually use labels for keeping easy track of acquisition chits.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Sharing information is a good thing, so I will share some photos of my QC configuration as soon as the site will let me load pictures.