Share your way of organizing system counters into smaller trays

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
I have followed a labeling system that put the system markers into 3 of the large Planos. This is not at all convenient. The "most used" don't need such a big box. It would be better to have a smaller box with a removable lid, and probably curved bottoms like the sewing spool boxes. Maybe even mix some of the markers together in larger compartments, since they are different colors. Less used markers might go into a "double sided" lure box, instead of two boxes. The custom tabletops sometimes have a number of built-in "dishes" that can accumulate those markers that seem to be needed once per game, to be put away later.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have followed a labeling system that put the system markers into 3 of the large Planos. This is not at all convenient. The "most used" don't need such a big box. It would be better to have a smaller box with a removable lid, and probably curved bottoms like the sewing spool boxes. Maybe even mix some of the markers together in larger compartments, since they are different colors. Less used markers might go into a "double sided" lure box, instead of two boxes. The custom tabletops sometimes have a number of built-in "dishes" that can accumulate those markers that seem to be needed once per game, to be put away later.
I get all of my counters into a single match box. Zippo, lighter fluid, and a broom. -- jim

kylania

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently picked up a few of these and have enjoyed them. Darice 1157-11 No Spill Organizer 13.7-Inch-by-8.6-Inch-by-1.37-Inch

http://www.amazon.com/Darice-1157-11-13-7-Inch-8-6-Inch-1-37-Inch/dp/B001B0S2H6

They are a bit larger than the previous Darice trays I had but have nicely rounded cell bottoms so scooping counters out is easy and comfortable and the tray lid has little grooves that fit over the raised cell edges so everything is all sealed up when the top is locked down. They stack well too!

Opening it is a bit of a chore at times and the cells near the latch are really small. There's also no larger compartments for pens/tweezers what have you, but mostly I enjoy these the most of my various types of trays I've picked up throughout the years.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Depending on how much effort you want to put forth pre-game, as an alternative you could pull a subset of the counters your know you're going to need, and maybe those that are unique to the scenario (e.g., acquisitions, infantry smoke, level counters, turrets, CAs, motion, etc). You just have to resolve yourself to go back to your info storage boxes for counters that you can't predict you'll need. You mentioned the custom map cases with integrated counter trays. I have a buddy that has one and they are nice but expensive. Another friend has a nice little slotted integrated chip tray he got from someone working at IBM years ago. It's really nice too for pre-pulling counters and keeping the map area free of info counter clutter. Its low footprint is a bonus. I kind of covet it because it works very well. The closest thing I've found the resembles it is a coin counting tray that I'm thinking about trying: http://www.amazon.com/Porta-Count-System-Rolled-Plastic-Storage/dp/B008HTN9A4/ref=pd_sim_121_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41EJrarsL1L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1S1EEP99CAVNPAA1C9A9. The only thing I don't like are the high sides. They might cause the tray to be easily flipped by a misplaced palm on the table or what have you. Still, if something is going to get flipped during play (or soaked with beer ... a higher probability at my place), I'd rather it be a small tray with just a few counters than a densely packed open storage box.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Depending on how much effort you want to put forth pre-game, as an alternative you could pull a subset of the counters your know you're going to need, and maybe those that are unique to the scenario (e.g., acquisitions, infantry smoke, level counters, turrets, CAs, motion, etc). You just have to resolve yourself to go back to your info storage boxes for counters that you can't predict you'll need. You mentioned the custom map cases with integrated counter trays. I have a buddy that has one and they are nice but expensive. Another friend has a nice little slotted integrated chip tray he got from someone working at IBM years ago. It's really nice too for pre-pulling counters and keeping the map area free of info counter clutter. Its low footprint is a bonus. I kind of covet it because it works very well. The closest thing I've found the resembles it is a coin counting tray that I'm thinking about trying: http://www.amazon.com/Porta-Count-System-Rolled-Plastic-Storage/dp/B008HTN9A4/ref=pd_sim_121_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41EJrarsL1L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1S1EEP99CAVNPAA1C9A9. The only thing I don't like are the high sides. They might cause the tray to be easily flipped by a misplaced palm on the table or what have you. Still, if something is going to get flipped during play (or soaked with beer ... a higher probability at my place), I'd rather it be a small tray with just a few counters than a densely packed open storage box.
Follow up to the coin counter tray.

View attachment 53839

I like it. Exactly what I was looking for. Looking edge wise, the high sides do create a blind hex for the slot on the player's end but that's a minor issue. Rotate the tray slightly or put counters in that slot that are all the same so you can grab them by feel. The fact that it comes in orange is a nice bonus.

Last edited:

SShifflett

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use the Darice trays, as well. Along with the rounded bottoms they have a molded lid that prevents counter straying. The price is right, too.

-S

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I use Chessex trays. Three trays for all the system counters; one for all the basic stuff that is needed for infantry only scenarios, one for Ordnance/AFV counters, and one for the more special things (Pillboxes, Night, Boats, etc).

View attachment 53855