Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
That was a great one too!🤣🤣
The wolves on the edge of the forest looking at their buddy by the cavemen's campfire.

Something like " it's Bob but look at those vacuous eyes and that stupid grin on his face. He's been domesticated I tell you. "🤣🤣

I've been thinking about Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes. Two really different approaches to humour and yet quite similar in some ways.

Calvin's wild flights of imagination took the strip in the Far Side direction. While Larsen didn't focus on a main character the reappearance of types of characters, cows and wolves come to mind, gave it a Calvin and Hobbes kind of continuity.

Great, great stuff in both strips and Watterson and Larsen were undoubtedly the comic strip geniuses of their time. YMMV and you could be right. Humor is really so bizarre and can be so individualistic.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For ASL players, he's reserved that 'sudden table lurch' for that critical H-t-H DR.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Gordon posted a great haha on the Volga thread of the scene from Treasure of the Sierra Madre where the bandito says " Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! " His was
" playtest " and I lmfao.

In Weird Al's movie UHF one character hosts an animal show. He gets a delivery of critters and looks at one of the crates and exclaims " Badgers? We don't need no stinking badgers! " LMFAOROTFL 🤣🤣🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

A really silly movie that is one of my favorites. 😊

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The MOL vs AFV Inherent FP thread certainly has raised some questions and vacillating opinions from the respondents.

These seem to be an experienced group of ASL players and the focus of the thread, MOL, is not a game concept that was just introduced. Considering this some might think it indicates that ASL is overly complex and a game that can never be fully and accurately understood. They would be correct and I am among their ranks.

Yet ASL is still around and while the number of players may not be growing the system itself seems to be thriving. Lol it's a game no one really has mastered and causes experienced players to question their knowledge of basic rules. What more could you ask for?

Ok that last part was silly. You guys always want more, and more and more. Good. I hope your appetite for this great game doesn't diminish.

Btw this whole train of thought came about because I didn't want to hijack a serious rules discussion with some silliness like: a Molotov Cocktail of conundrums. That what this thread is for. Me being silly.😉

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Gordon posted a great haha on the Volga thread of the scene from Treasure of the Sierra Madre where the bandito says " Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! " His was
" playtest " and I lmfao.

In Weird Al's movie UHF one character hosts an animal show. He gets a delivery of critters and looks at one of the crates and exclaims " Badgers? We don't need no stinking badgers! " LMFAOROTFL 🤣🤣🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

A really silly movie that is one of my favorites. 😊
This brought the movie images flooding back. Fantastic 😅

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Contrary to an assertion in another thread scenarios played by a Mere Mortal against one of Greats is rarely over by turn two at an event. This in my experience happened in casual play. I played lots of scenarios against one of the Greats that were over by turn two. Always in " casual " play.

As I stated in that other thread the Greatness of the Great Ones is their ability over multiple turns to take advantage of every mistake or even not the best action and make their opponent pay for it.

Sorry. Sinuses messed up. Biorythms are low. Needed to vent and that's been on my mind for a while.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Contrary to an assertion in another thread scenarios played by a Mere Mortal against one of Greats is rarely over by turn two at an event. This in my experience happened in casual play. I played lots of scenarios against one of the Greats that were over by turn two. Always in " casual " play.

As I stated in that other thread the Greatness of the Great Ones is their ability over multiple turns to take advantage of every mistake or even not the best action and make their opponent pay for it.

Sorry. Sinuses messed up. Biorythms are low. Needed to vent and that's been on my mind for a while.
Biorhythms. You are old. :)

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Better to be old and know what you want to play, even if you can't move as fast as before.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Better to be old and know what you want to play, even if you can't move as fast as before.
Noob I sometimes get exasperated by the assertions the OP in the non referenced thread makes. Hence the occasional bizarre thread or venting. These things happen.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll

Sounds like rhythms and Blues? Everyone needs to vent sometime. 🤔😏. Hang tough

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have nothing against compilations of scenario won loss records. I thought it was pretty cool when Mark Nixon did The Numbers of Oktober but never used it or any other such thing in picking out a scenario to play. We played what we wanted to play regardless of the record, either our record with it or some other one.

ASL was a game for us. Not an historical simulation or anything more than a great game. I wasn't looking to it strictly for competition and Fish didn't either. Not to say we weren't competitive but that applied to any game we played. Our primary goal was to have fun with ASL, and we did!

If you look at ROAR and see a scenario has thirty wins and ten losses for a side would you pass it by for playing? From my perspective I would think that eighty people thought that it was worth playing regardless of the " balance ". ( There I go with the B word again 🙄 ) To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes: a scenario with so many playings must have something in it. The Blue Carbuncle 🥰🥰 )

I would gladly play the unbalanced side of a very unbalanced scenario, even at a tournament, even against one of the Greats, if I thought it looked fun. YMMV but I that's how I viewed it. Besides if I was at a tournament Fish was there too. Who had the odds on their side of winning that event when The Grofaz was competing in it?

People obviously play ASL for many different reasons. For lots of people ROAR and it's cousins are vital and valuable resources and I agree with that. Thanks to all those who organize and contribute to such sites. Keep up the good work!!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Anyone for Stratajema? (ST:TNG)
Picard: less than an hour before a battle simulation and I have to hand hold an android.

Pulaski: the burdens of command.

LMFAO one of my favorite lines. Btw much preferred Doctor Pulaski over Doctor Crusher.