Shanghaid, the port for hijacked threads

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You'll be happy to hear that I bought an actual bottle of wine today! Glass bottle in fact! Matthew Fox Merlot. $3.99 a bottle. I told you I was a cheap date!😉
Have you considered moving to France?

When I was there for a few weeks in '96, I'd pick up a bottle to share with a buddy as we ate our baguettes and camembert (provided with our breakfasts for lunching on later as we toured the Norman battlefields). Rarely did we spend more than 15 Francs (< $3 USD today) for a 750ml bottle. Most of the time, a bottle cost less than a couple cans of Coke! The same bottles of wine cost $15 to $25 back home. (I worked at the liquor store back then.)

You're not thrifty. You're in the wrong country. :)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

When I was there for a few weeks in '96, I'd pick up a bottle to share with a buddy as we ate our baguettes and camembert (provided with our breakfasts for lunching on later as we toured the Norman battlefields). Rarely did we spend more than 15 Francs (< $3 USD today) for a 750ml bottle. Most of the time, a bottle cost less than a couple cans of Coke! The same bottles of wine cost $15 to $25 back home. (I worked at the liquor store back then.)

At the Italian Naval Base where the sub was moored there was a beverage shack right by the pier. They had Heineken, Lowenbrau and Coke all in cans. The beer was 25 cents a can. The Coke was slightly more, IIRC, and was horrible!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

No to France. Looks nice but I have my doubts about their love for Jerry Lewis. 🙄

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
At the Italian Naval Base where the sub was moored there was a beverage shack right by the pier. They had Heineken, Lowenbrau and Coke all in cans. The beer was 25 cents a can. The Coke was slightly more, IIRC, and was horrible!
The pricing of booze in "duty-free" zones drives home how much taxes play a factor in retail cost. IIRC, a bottle of Dom Pérignon could be had for a paltry $10 USD at the French military shop in Mogadishu in '93. I paid more than twice that for a case of Orangina, something I had acquired a taste for some years earlier while spending a couple weeks on the Côte d'Azur. That reminds me.

I recall asking a shop owner in Nice why he sold six-packs of wine in 200ml plastic bottles. He claimed that they were designed to be packed with school children's lunches. I don't know if he was having me on. But I believe that there was a time when this was not uncommon, albeit before the advent of plastic bottles.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The pricing of booze in "duty-free" zones drives home how much taxes play a factor in retail cost. IIRC, a bottle of Dom Pérignon could be had for a paltry $10 USD at the French military shop in Mogadishu in '93. I paid more than twice that for a case of Orangina, something I had acquired a taste for some years earlier while spending a couple weeks on the Côte d'Azur. That reminds me.

I recall asking a shop owner in Nice why he sold six-packs of wine in 200ml plastic bottles. He claimed that they were designed to be packed with school children's lunches. I don't know if he was having me on. But I believe that there was a time when this was not uncommon, albeit before the advent of plastic bottles.
My Mom's people started the kids on coffee at an extremely young age. No effect at all! Tweek, Tweek!!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
" Known enemy units not come on " thread got me thinking about different styles of play and how players enjoy the game in different ways.

I commented that I liked to get down to the action. I was not into deep analysis or thought while my opponent was sitting across from me. Time enough for thought and reflection when there wasn't the opportunity to do some gunnin.

Doctor Marc, who introduced me to SL, would sometimes sit there staring at the board for several minutes. Lost in thought and enjoying the game on a cerebral level. Especially after we had indulged in some " refreshments ". It was very funny and really didn't bother me. My enjoyment was seeing his enjoyment. What a great game that allows that.🥰

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Historical accuracy? Overrated. Is the scenario fun to play?

More scenarios? Whatever makes you guys happy but I doubt that there is a player in th world that has played them all. Probably not even half of them.

Regardless just enjoy the game and the comradeship.

Gotta go. Captain Bacchus and I are trying to find those pesky 76mm British mortars. 🤔🤔🤔😉😉😉🤣🤣🤣
There's a DASL scenario from Grumble Jones that's hypothetical--based on if the Germans had fought instead of surrendered. Looks interesting to me because, it's Deluxe, and has tanks on both sides. But I'd have to ask any opponent before playing if he'd want to play something hypothetical instead of historical.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Trying to continue thoughts from the A10.7 Allied Troops thread but between Actiondebbie and the Actionkitties it's difficult to organize a coherent argument much less type.

Briefly then an indication of where I will be taking this line of reasoning.

Allied Troops, Allied Minors. In the first instance Allied is meant to mean all Troops of a military or political alliance. In the second it refers to units/countries who are in a military alliance with the Great Powers, Britain, the Soviet Union and the United States.

Same word, same use of the upper case A but entirely different meanings. I know English abounds with similar examples but why not just have used allied in the first instance?

Again I am pretty sure that A10.7 is meant to apply to all nationalities but the use of the upper case A allows for some disputaious jick to argue otherwise. I'm just interested in the argument countering that bolshie jick's point of view.

That portion of A 10.7 as written is rather obnubilate. 🙄🙄🤣🤣

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Continuing the A 10.7 Allied Troops discussion.

As I've said I totally agree with Perry and the other's who have offered their opinions on this topic. What I don't agree with is that using Allied instead of allied could not lead to confusion or misinterpretation. If you Google Allied the first thing that comes up is members of the Great Powers. The mere fact that I can Interpret it that way shows that it was not written as clearly as it could have been.

Nevertheless ci arrendiamo!🤣🤣🤣

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Continuing the A 10.7 Allied Troops discussion.

As I've said I totally agree with Perry and the other's who have offered their opinions on this topic. What I don't agree with is that using Allied instead of allied could not lead to confusion or misinterpretation. If you Google Allied the first thing that comes up is members of the Great Powers. The mere fact that I can Interpret it that way shows that it was not written as clearly as it could have been.

Nevertheless ci arrendiamo!🤣🤣🤣
Actiondebbie is trying to put a harness on the biggest kitty girl so have to continue later. This may not end well. ☹

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Actiondebbie is trying to put a harness on the biggest kitty girl so have to continue later. This may not end well. ☹
Actiondebbie gave up and it ended with Jessie's claw stuck in my hand. I told Klas I was on a losing streak. ☹☹

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A British 9-2 Leader is stacked with an American 6-6-6 squad who is Guarding a German squad Prisoner and a British squad 4-5-7.

The stack is in a Location with a Roadblock that must be Cleared. What is the best usage of these units for this Task?🤔🤔

If the German Prisoner was a Sapper would it make a difference?🤔🙄🤔

What if the Guard was a HS?

Sorry, just thinking. 🙄🤔🤔

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A British 9-2 Leader is stacked with an American 6-6-6 squad who is Guarding a German squad Prisoner and a British squad 4-5-7.

The stack is in a Location with a Roadblock that must be Cleared. What is the best usage of these units for this Task?🤔🤔

If the German Prisoner was a Sapper would it make a difference?🤔🙄🤔

What if the Guard was a HS?

Sorry, just thinking. 🙄🤔🤔
That bit of rambling came about while thinking about a Leader's DRM, Allied Troops and Prisoners. Obviously.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've been noticing that a lot of the tournaments mentioned on the forum have a list of scenarios to choose from. Is this the prevalent method these days and is it one most attendees prefer? Thanks!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In the thread on the size difference between different Stuart tanks I brought up The Haunted Tank comic books I read as a youngster. It was a Stuart and was an awesome weapon able to take out any German tank that it came upon. Totally unrealistic but great stuff when you are a kid ignorant of the actual realities of war. This was emphasized in another comic book, Not Brand Echh by Marvel.

NBE was a satirical comic book that poked fun at Marvel's characters as well as DC and others. The story from it that always stuck with me was when Sgt. Furious and his squad were charging through the surf directly at a German machine gun nest. The Germans are frantically firing away at the squad but no GIs are getting hit!

The one incredulous German turns to the other and asks in amazement why the GIs are not falling to the hail of bullets being sprayed at them. The other replies dumkopf this is an American comic book!
I LMFAO even as a kid!!🤣🤣🤣😘😘

It was Sgt. Furious and his Hostile Commandoes. Also remember The Justa League of Americans. Those were the days. 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
BP HD thread

A British Piper who was a Bolshie Pedant, not to mention being a Bellicose Paranomasiaphile and the future grandfather of Billie Piper, was Hunkered Down in a Huge Depression Hiding Desperately from a Brummbar Platoon Hull Down near the Big Peak of Hill Disputaious. Nearby was a Bosche Panther and a Broken Panzer that had risked ESB to Hastily Depart from the Highly Dangerous Bad Position it had been in.

A British Police Bicycle Patrol spotted the Beleaguered Piper's jeep which was out of gas. Being Professionals they informed him that a Humongous Depot was nearby where he could Borrow Petrol, Buy Provisions and Hear Details of where to find the British Positions. He Departed and Began Playing his Beautiful Pipes to the Humouress Delight of the Belgian Populace that Had Decided to Be Patriotic and Handily Declared it His Day for the Heroic Defense of their village. 🤔🙄

Way too much but I was Being Petulant. 😉😉

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
BP HD thread

A British Piper who was a Bolshie Pedant, not to mention being a Bellicose Paranomasiaphile and the future grandfather of Billie Piper, was Hunkered Down in a Huge Depression Hiding Desperately from a Brummbar Platoon Hull Down near the Big Peak of Hill Disputaious. Nearby was a Bosche Panther and a Broken Panzer that had risked ESB to Hastily Depart from the Highly Dangerous Bad Position it had been in.

A British Police Bicycle Patrol spotted the Beleaguered Piper's jeep which was out of gas. Being Professionals they informed him that a Humongous Depot was nearby where he could Borrow Petrol, Buy Provisions and Hear Details of where to find the British Positions. He Departed and Began Playing his Beautiful Pipes to the Humouress Delight of the Belgian Populace that Had Decided to Be Patriotic and Handily Declared it His Day for the Heroic Defense of their village. 🤔🙄

Way too much but I was Being Petulant. 😉😉
It's at times like these I realize what a great idea it was for me personally to start this thread. Where else could I spew out such drivel and not have to worry about offending the OP? 🤪🤪🤪

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My old boss wants me to help him out for a couple months or more so my output of hahas will be quite diminished for a while.

Please no tears. I realize what a blow this is to the forum but we must all just soldier on! ☹☹😉😉🤪🤪

Besides Actiondebbie needs a break from the old jick being around 24-7.

I'll try to keep up on the ASL Word of the Day but the inspiration may come from other sources.🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
From the Importance of TPP thread.

I mentioned the premise that ASL would have died out without a release of new modules and that I disagree with that.

That leads to the players being more consumers than gamers. I'll ponder on that thought tomorrow perhaps.