Shanghaid, the port for hijacked threads

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Twenty one year old coworker from a sister property asked me to fill out a reference for him as he was joining the Marines. I gladly did this as Jack is a nice guy and has learned a lot about maintenance and has matured quite a bit in the three years I have known him. Plus he recommended what has become Actiondebbie and my favorite Mexican restaurant. 😋

In the written part of the reference I emphasized what a quick learner Jack is and what a good maintenance man he has become. I especially pimped up his HVAC installation skills. All true btw. Jack was happy with the reference and said he would buy me a bottle of tequila. Nice guy, knows my tastes.

He came over to the shop the other day with the bottle of tequila to thank me and tell me he reports to boot camp on August 21st. We were bsing and he told me he scored really well on the aptitude test dealing with mechanical stuff. The recruiter was very impressed and told Jack his mechanical aptitude made him eligible for jobs such as helicopter mechanic and the like.

Jack wanted none of that! He was tired and fixing things and snaking nasty drains and repairing plumbing. He wants to be a grunt so he can blow sh!t up!!🤣 Lmfao! My final line on the reference was that I thought he would make a fine Marine. Time will tell about that but his spirit seems to be there. You gotta love jarheads. 😘

I had Actiondebbie take a picture of me holding the bottle of tequila and a shot glass. I sent it to Jack telling him I was having a shot in his honor. Actually Colonel Cuervo and I had several more shots in his honor.🤪

I wanted to get Jack a card with a bridge being blown up so I looked on Amazon. I found a card with a bridge on the front and when it's opened a pop up of the Golden Gate Bridge! I ordered it and all his coworkers at our property will sign it. I'm going to write that he can practice bowing this up! 🤣🤣

Anyway Leathernecks another soul has entered your illustrious ranks. Wish him well.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Sitting cross legged on the floor, looking at various refreshments, a good book at hand, a cat on one knee, another cat on the other. Life could be worse.🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Twenty one year old coworker from a sister property asked me to fill out a reference for him as he was joining the Marines. I gladly did this as Jack is a nice guy and has learned a lot about maintenance and has matured quite a bit in the three years I have known him. Plus he recommended what has become Actiondebbie and my favorite Mexican restaurant. 😋

In the written part of the reference I emphasized what a quick learner Jack is and what a good maintenance man he has become. I especially pimped up his HVAC installation skills. All true btw. Jack was happy with the reference and said he would buy me a bottle of tequila. Nice guy, knows my tastes.

He came over to the shop the other day with the bottle of tequila to thank me and tell me he reports to boot camp on August 21st. We were bsing and he told me he scored really well on the aptitude test dealing with mechanical stuff. The recruiter was very impressed and told Jack his mechanical aptitude made him eligible for jobs such as helicopter mechanic and the like.

Jack wanted none of that! He was tired and fixing things and snaking nasty drains and repairing plumbing. He wants to be a grunt so he can blow sh!t up!!🤣 Lmfao! My final line on the reference was that I thought he would make a fine Marine. Time will tell about that but his spirit seems to be there. You gotta love jarheads. 😘

I had Actiondebbie take a picture of me holding the bottle of tequila and a shot glass. I sent it to Jack telling him I was having a shot in his honor. Actually Colonel Cuervo and I had several more shots in his honor.🤪

I wanted to get Jack a card with a bridge being blown up so I looked on Amazon. I found a card with a bridge on the front and when it's opened a pop up of the Golden Gate Bridge! I ordered it and all his coworkers at our property will sign it. I'm going to write that he can practice bowing this up! 🤣🤣

Anyway Leathernecks another soul has entered your illustrious ranks. Wish him well.
Had the annual health inspection for the apartments and went with one who was an ex Marine, served in Afghanistan. I mentioned that Jack had joined the Corps and was in boot camp. He was about to do the marksmanship period of training and I commented that I thought it he should do well as he was a hunter.

The health inspector said it was easier to teach those who didn't have extensive firearms experience than those who did. The more I thought about it the more sense it made. Much easier to teach someone good technique than it is to have someone unlearn a bad or inferior technique or behavior.

I suppose this applies to ASL when you find you have been playing something wrong for twenty or thirty years. What a game!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have seen ELO mentioned a couple times as a rating system. I am unfamiliar with this system so any information on it would be appreciated. No need to go in depth as I am only mildly curious.

Thanks

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In the ASL Hall of Fame thread I mentioned that I can be somewhat vain at times. This was after Hutch commented that I was modest. Perhaps, but being vain and modest at the same time might indicate some sort of personality disorder. Anyway the following tale is an example of my vanity and how it was slapped down in an excellent example of instant karma.

1987. Fourth of July weekend. Baltimore. Origins.

Fish and I went to Baltimore for the '87 Origins, to visit Mac and check out Aberdeen as I had never been there.

This was shortly after Yanks had been released containing the long sought after, at least by me, Sgt. Burk counter. A welcome reward for a number of years playtesting. I was proud of this little hunk of cardboard, overly so it seems.

Deciding that everyone should know who they were encountering I placed Sgt. Burk inside my Origins name tag. It was a plastic sleeve with your actual name on a paper inside of it. Sgt. Burk fit easily inside of the sleeve and I proudly went about my business, confident that those who saw it would be suitably impressed and intimidated. As they should be.

All was good until I glanced down and saw that Sgt. Burk was missing! AWOL!!

I walked around that convention center for a couple hours, retracing my steps, constantly looking at the floor. To no avail. Sgt. Burk was truly gone. The gods had their laugh and I learned a lesson in humility.

Fish replaced Sgt. Burk from one of his multiple copies of Yanks so it was ok in the end but I still recall this incident when my hubris gets the best of me.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Panzershrek, a movie ASLified.

I'm taking a break from Civilization, details to come in Actionjick Takes His Lumps ad Infinitum, so my " creative " juices need an outlet. Thank the dice gods for Gamesquad and my apologies for the silliness. Like I have said in the past ASL can be enjoyed in so many ways. You don't even have to play it.