SFF

JCusick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am having a difficult time wrapping my arms around SFF and how this works with MG’s and the possessing squad when firing together when MG is already First Fired.

I am currently playing S5 Clearing Colleville solo. I have a German LMG and 4-6-7 in hex together.

During American MPh the MG only fired at a moving squad and the MG only was marked First Fire(no MG ROF).

Next I fired at another American squad that was moving using both the First Fired MG and unmarked squad. The American unit was at range 6, no closer enemy unit.

I computed the FP as follows:

MG is using SFF, so half of normal 3 FP or 1.5.
Squad would also be required to use SFF in this case so half of normal FP 4 or 2.

Total FP of 3.5 so a 2 shot on IFT was taken and both MG and squad were marked Final Fire.

Wanted to make sure I was correct particularly that the squad had to use SFF in this case or could it use full FP of 4.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The squad should not be halved for SFF. A squad which is not marked fires at full FP even if the MG it possesses is already marked. The reverse is not true: if the squad is marked and the MG is not, the MG would fire at half FP as if using sustained fire. These are the ASL rules, and I have not checked to make sure the ASLSK rules follow in step. Usually they do but sometimes they don't.

JR

JCusick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you I feel like every time I take a few steps forward on the rules I soon slip 5 steps back?

JCusick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The squad should not be halved for SFF. A squad which is not marked fires at full FP even if the MG it possesses is already marked. The reverse is not true: if the squad is marked and the MG is not, the MG would fire at half FP as if using sustained fire. These are the ASL rules, and I have not checked to make sure the ASLSK rules follow in step. Usually they do but sometimes they don't.

JR
Both the squad and MG are marked Final Fire?

JCusick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
Would the squad be considered to be DFF or SFF? The reason I ask is that if the American unit had been at range 8, long range for squad , could the squad have participated in this attack?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Would the squad be considered to be DFF or SFF? The reason I ask is that if the American unit had been at range 8, long range for squad , could the squad have participated in this attack?
The squad would not be using SFF. If it were using SFF its FP would be halved for SFF and then again for range, were it possible to use SFF at long range.

JR