SFF w/ SW

Largus Means

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A russian 6-2-8 moves adjacent to a german 5-4-8 and MMG, using NAM and 2mf to move into a wood building. The first fire attack is 20 +1 and the MMG retains its ROF. The German player wishes to SFF with the squad, and attack with the MMG. Is the attack 12 +1 (10fp MMG + 5sqd)or 8 +1 (5fpMMG + 5sqd) and using SFF and SF with the MMG?

Largus

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
12+1; since the MMG retained RoF it is not yet marked First Fire; so it still fires at full FP (doubled for Point Blank) and it isn't using Sustained Fire.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Chas Argent said:
12+1; since the MMG retained RoF it is not yet marked First Fire; so it still fires at full FP (doubled for Point Blank) and it isn't using Sustained Fire.
I'm not sure...
As I understand the rules, I'd say that the squad either goes on firing with its MG alone (8FP, +1) or decides for SFF (with MG : 8 FP, +1, MG sustained fire / without MG : 4, +1).
Using SFF implies submitting to all the conditions it requires.
If the MG were held by a HS, forming a FG with the 548, they could fire at 12, +1, and the MG could even possibly keep ROF.

Note also that, if the 628 pinned as a result of the first attack, the DRM would be +2 (no FFNAM)...

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sigh...I'm wrong again...:) So much for rushing in to an answer.

Robin I believe you are correct. However, another option is for the MG to fire alone; then it gets full FP without a Sustained Fire penalty since it retained RoF & the squad didn't Cower. So this would still be 8+1.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Chas,
I wrote of that option as the 1st one.
I believe I would choose it, as it has the same result as SFF, without endangering the MG with sustained fire... and still giving a chance for SFF : who knows if another of these 6-2-8 is about to come around, ready to assault fire with its #*!@ PPsh at my dear little 5-4-8? And I don't want even to imagine what CC would be...
What I like in ASL, is that one is confronted with quick decisions, between many options... and what I don't like, is that I have the gift not taking the good decision and seeing the full extent of my lack of lucidity :wink: