Sex roles in humans

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
Prester John said:
Modern psychology now accepts that both nature and nuture are at work in child behaviour.
True, the vast majority of social and biological psychologists do indeed beleive nature and nurture both contribute to gender role. One interesting view is that of evoloutionary psychologists - they concentrate more on mate selection. You know the fat old man with the 18 year old bimbo, well that is all about gene selection. The fat old man wants an attractive lady for him to have healthy children thus spreading his genes, she is with him for protection and security of her offspring, or protecting her genetic produce. But evolutionary psychologists fail to explain why I like my bird to squat on my face, the neo-Freudians of course would suggest it was in order for for me to be close to the womb (thus simultating childbirth), but I beleive it has more to do with simulating knawing a bearded clam. hhhmmmm...bearded clam...hhhmmm

Another interesting subject in the field of roles is that of patriotic role. I mean Monster Zero for example - are you Polish or American ? Which would you fight for ? What if Poland and America were at war, who then ? In the last census in Australia, a staggering 6 million people called their ethnicity British, that's nearly a third of the country by the way. Patriotic behaviour is definately social constructed - amazing how patriosm can skew people's outlook so much.

Prester John

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Don't confuse ethnicity and allegiance. My ethnic heritage is Scots-Irish (British on the census) but my allegiance is to Australia (and the Governor-General as the Queen's representative in the role of head of that state).

And of course allegiances can change, but my genes can't.