Sewer rats in Red Factories

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey folks,

I am curious how players of the Russians in any of the Red Factories CGs utilized the sewers. Is it mainly

1. To attempt to capture locations; even if they'll be isolated at the end of the scenario?
  2. To keep at least some of the enemy forces to follow or have to ward against the sewer units (but generally, do not leave the sewer unless forced or a huge opportunity shows up)?
  3. Wait for an opportunity to advance out and take out some bad guys in CC?
I assume all 3 tactics are used but I am curious if there are particular situations experienced RF players look for to best utilize Sewer Movement.

Thanks,
MikeS

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A main reason is to use them to escape hopeless or risky situations. They’re used differently on different parts of the board. They can disssppear,move, gain concealment and reappear with usually good options.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A combination of 1 and 2 - pop up in the rear of an attacking force to create havoc (failure to rout problems for brokies, mess with the perimeter even if they might become isolated). Sewer movement seems very hit and miss though.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What if the opponent forgets about sewer moves and leaves brokies on a sewer hex? What if a tank parks on a sewer/road hex ? What if you want to cross a street, not get shot at and end up concealed?
I made a map of all the sewer connections on the RB map. It helps find and recognize the sewer key hexes, the ones you gotta guard.
Every once in awhile I’ll take a German 4TC and try a sewer move, better than getting shot to pieces. Especially to leapfrog down the gully area or crossing a fire swept street.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have not played any RB CGs (well, I played a few days of one like 25 years ago), but in myrecent games on the RB maps, the sewers were used a lot as threats, with some squads kept under ground threatening to exit at the wrong time behind German troops, or reoccupy victory buildings. In The Commissar's House, sewers doubled as an advanced skulking location (enter sewers from the cellars, swap with troops already in, emerge concealed one turn later, all the while keeping the Germans on their toes when in Sewer locations)

A range of 3 hexes is actually a lot on the RB map, where most of the fighting occurs at pretty close range. One turn takes you out of a dangerous area, and if you spend a total of two turns down there you can easily emerge, concealed, behind enemy lines in a perfect position to encircle or prevent key routs.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
What if the opponent forgets about sewer moves and leaves brokies on a sewer hex? What if a tank parks on a sewer/road hex ? What if you want to cross a street, not get shot at and end up concealed?
I made a map of all the sewer connections on the RB map. It helps find and recognize the sewer key hexes, the ones you gotta guard.
Every once in awhile I’ll take a German 4TC and try a sewer move, better than getting shot to pieces. Especially to leapfrog down the gully area or crossing a fire swept street.
Making a map of the sewer connections is a good tip. Well done. ?

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a sewer map printed out for VOTG that someone was nice enough to create. I don't have one for RB though.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In a RB campaign my Russians bought an expensive engineer company (mainly to keep my DCs and FTs). They hunkered down in a lovely factory and gave the Germans fits. Unfortunately the other Russians around them collapsed and at the end of the day the engineers found themselves isolated and surrounded. Following day they start the battle surrounded by about 40 squads and 6 tanks. No problem, sewer move them all out and they find their way home leaving the Germans in a bad situation with everybody out of place.
Nice to have a wounded 6+1 leader HIPed nearby with a phone and an adjacent hex preregistered for rocket artillery.

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Nice to have a wounded 6+1 leader HIPed nearby with a phone and an adjacent hex preregistered for rocket artillery.
That's a nasty additional trick. Me like!

(Not sure how you managed the timing, though - you don't want to blast the engineers with your own OBA before they move out, so the surrounding Germans should have time to Double Time back to the main lines before the blast)

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I like having a few units behind enemy lines as they each binds up 2 units hunting them down instead of them being at the front. The nuisance of loosing locations and affecting routs as well as interdicting reinforcement and reserve setup makes it worthwhile in my opinion.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the RB and VotG sewer maps are useful tools for a Russian player to have at hand. Hopefully someone makes a good one for RO map soon, and another for the DTW map would be nice as well.

In RB, the sewers serve the Russians as major arteries for bringing on reinforcements free from Stuka attacks or OBA. They also function as popups to keep German units behind the front lines busy doing partisan suppression duties rather than moving forward and joining the fight. Finally, they act as avenues of retreat and escape free of enemy fire, without costing FPPs for tunnels or trenches or AT ditches.

I believe they would function similarly on the RO map.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is great stuff guys, thanks for all of the replies!

I'm playing on RO map and I have not found a sewer map for that one yet but thanks for posting the RB one.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question about the RF RB map. In the original version hex U17 has a sewer entrance but in the new RF version, it's not there. It's not on the overlay for that factory either. Reason why it changed? Don't tell me, someone went there and said it isn't historically accurate, there wasn't a sewer there.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question about the RF RB map. In the original version hex U17 has a sewer entrance but in the new RF version, it's not there. It's not on the overlay for that factory either. Reason why it changed? Don't tell me, someone went there and said it isn't historically accurate, there wasn't a sewer there.
It should be a Manhole Location. See the following errata from MMP:

RB Map

Hex U17 is a Manhole Location.