Sewer Movement

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for all of your input into this question.

And Chris Milne, to answer your "what if...? Since you cannot move, you are eliminated! So the morale of the story is, do not get stuck in the sewers. Use the sewers to get where you are going and get out!

Again thanks for all of your help.
Chris

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hey! When did that sentence appear in 8.41? Never noticed it before now...
Guess those are the benefits of having a searchable eASLRB - when someone mentions something that's new to you, you can find keywords with ease. Thanks!

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
COWTRA indeed. The designer's have thought of every permutation of every possible action (and squeezed it all into the rulebook).

...Getting back to the real world: Looking at the paragraph (B8.41), I see a system which gives the possiblity of getting lost every turn while in the sewer (which is abstracted by the Sewer Movement roll).

The mandate that a unit in a sewer must move can be easily explained in that even though a unit is in the same hex as the manhole cover, they may not have found that one tiny exit during thier 2-minute MPh; and if they fail to find the manhole, they must continue (in motion) looking for it.

So the ability to 'circle around' the area and continue to search for that manhole, seems pretty logical and intuitive (as opposed to the counter-argument that if the unit doesn't find a particular manhole right away, they have to continue on --at least another 40 meters-- before searching again!)

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Logic and intuition - dangerous tools when applied to ASL.

But if we must, I would suggest that if the intent had been for units to remain in place, no one would have put in the words 'must move'.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Chris Milne said:
But if we must, I would suggest that if the intent had been for units to remain in place, no one would have put in the words 'must move'.
As the person who did the rewriting of the sewer rules for the 2. edition ASLRB, I can assure you that the intention is that a unit must move to a new Location.

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That settles it, I defer to the Creator!

For surely, the road to the ASLRB is paved with good intentions...