Sewer Movement

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have a couple of questions regarding Sewer Movement.

1. During the Movement Phase, if I am on a Sewer Location Hex and I enter the sewer, during this movement phase do I enter the Sewer Location of my choice or do I have to wait until the next movement phase?

2. If I fail to disembark from the sewer, can I claim the same sewer location to disembark by moving 1 hex and back to the same sewer location?

Thanks
Chris B

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NRBH, so I can't give you exact rule #s, but I just finished a game with this and it's <somewhat> fresh in my head:

1) It costs your full movement to enter the sewer. So you must start your MPh on that "manhole" location and spend the entire MPh just to enter the sewer. The next turn you move your guys up to 3 hexes away (and only if you don't become 'lost' - in which case your opponent moves your unit).

2) I believe your question here is "must a unit move when in a sewer?" If so, the answer is 'No'. I had a situation where I failed to exit a sewer for 3 turns, but the unit continued to wait at the same hex until finally getting the roll they needed. Also, I never rolled to see if my unit got 'lost' during those turns because they weren't actually attempting to move.

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question #2: my understanding is that you MUST MOVE while you are in the sewer. I was reading Desperation Morals website on Sewer Movement and it stated that you "Must Move."

UXB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lost

I believe that you must move and may become "Lost" in the sewer, thus
have to gain "Sewer Concelament" as shown on the seldom-used
5/8" counter Sewer ? Lost

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ds said:
NRBH, so I can't give you exact rule #s, but I just finished a game with this and it's <somewhat> fresh in my head:

1) It costs your full movement to enter the sewer. So you must start your MPh on that "manhole" location and spend the entire MPh just to enter the sewer. The next turn you move your guys up to 3 hexes away (and only if you don't become 'lost' - in which case your opponent moves your unit).

2) I believe your question here is "must a unit move when in a sewer?" If so, the answer is 'No'. I had a situation where I failed to exit a sewer for 3 turns, but the unit continued to wait at the same hex until finally getting the roll they needed. Also, I never rolled to see if my unit got 'lost' during those turns because they weren't actually attempting to move.
NRBH but...
1) I will re-read tonight. You should move under a Sewer counter, roll for "lost" status, and move the up to 3 hexes during your first sewer move.

2) MUST move when in a sewer.

Alan

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I stand corrected. After consulting the rulebook, B8.41 makes it pretty clear.

mdholt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B 8.41 makes it clear too that on the turn you enter a sewer you must move. A unit using sewer movement that starts "IN or beneath a manhole location" must end beneath a manhole location not more than 3 hexes away. And later on in the same paragraph it states that a unit in a sewer must always move, this includes the entery turn.

mdholt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To clarify my answer to Question 2 you can not move one "hex" and back again to the same sewer/manhole location you started the MPH in. You must be in a DIFFERENT sewer/manhole location but it can be one used in the "previous" turn.
I've been playing a lot of RB as the Russians and done a lot of sewer rat moving.

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the posts but I am not clear on the answers.

1. So when I enter the sewer, I move my 3 or less hexes or I have to wait until the next movement phase of my turn?

2. So if I was unable to come up from the sewer, I cannot attempt to come up out of that same sewer location because I have to move 3 or less hexes?

3. More ? to the pot: When do I leave the sewers, on my movement phase or advance phase or both?

Thanks again
Chris

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Boy was I off! (so much for trusting your opponent to lead you into uncharted territory!).

So now that I have the RB in hand, I'll try (once again) to answer a few questions. Maybe I'll get one right this time:

1. You DO move (up to 3 hexes) on the same turn you enter the sewer "B8.41 Sewer movement must start in or beneath a Manhole Location and end in a Sewer Location no farther than three hexes away."

2. Correct. Again from B8.41 "Units in a Sewer must move during their MPh; they cannot remain motionless, although they can return to a Sewer Location occupied during a previous turn"

3. (if you get the roll) B8.42 "May emerge concealed at owner's option during the APh"

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alright it is finally coming together...I think!

So when I enter a sewer location, I move to the sewer location of my choice (making all rolls and 3 or less hexes away). I do not exit that sewer location until my Advance Phase.

If I fail to exit that location, in my next movement phase, I have to move to another sewer location (3 or less hexes away) therefore I cannot attempt to exit the sewer location that I am presently located.

And if I cannot move to another sewer location, the squad(s) are eliminated!

:?: That is where I find it difficult to understand the rules. If I cannot move to another sewer location, why cannot the squad(s) movement be an attempt to exit the present sewer location?

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alright it is finally coming together...I think!

So when I enter a sewer location, I move to the sewer location of my choice (making all rolls and 3 or less hexes away). I do not exit that sewer location until my Advance Phase.

If I fail to exit that location, in my next movement phase, I have to move to another sewer location (3 or less hexes away) therefore I cannot attempt to exit the sewer location that I am presently located.

And if I cannot move to another sewer location, the squad(s) are eliminated!

:?: That is where I find it difficult to understand the rules. If I cannot move to another sewer location, why cannot the squad(s) movement be an attempt to exit the present sewer location?

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree, the section from B8.41 which talks about this "Units in a Sewer must move during their MPh; they cannot remain motionless, although they can return to a Sewer Location occupied during a previous turn." just seems to say that you have to move the unit into at least one new hex. I see nothing stating that you can't circle back to the same hex you started the MPh in. However, this assumption doesn't seem to be what others are stating.

Can somebody site the actual RB entry, or clarify the above?

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about....

can return to a Sewer Location occupied during a previous turn
Sounds like you are permitted to return to a location you occupied - but not one you just left "this turn".

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Technically "a Sewer Location occupied during a previous turn" includes the Location you are starting the current turn in? i.e., If I ended my movement in Sewer Location Y8 during my previous turn, Y8 is a Sewer Location I "occupied during a previous turn".

If there is some implication that the starting hex is not an allowable final destination, that sentence seems pretty vague (especially by ASLRB standards).

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, a location occupied in the CURRENT turn is not the same (technically) as a location occupied in a PREVIOUS turn.

Check the dictionary. 8)

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not arguing the definitions of CURRENT and PREVIOUS, because that clause merely 'allows' a return to a previous location.

I'm saying that the rules don't specifically 'disallow' you to end your phase in the same hex you started in. As long as you...
1. Stay within three hexes of your starting Location
2. Pass your dice roll (after declaring Sewer Movement) to control your unit.
3. Are 'able' to move to a new sewer location

...then your starting hex fits the criteria layed out in B8.42 as a valid ending location.

The movement to a new location may be implied, but it's definetly not spelled out.

Oh, and BTW Sam, you should probably check the dictionary for the word 'TACT'.

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2. Pass your dice roll

Oh man you really need to invest in a dice tower, that just sounds too painful. :lol:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

Didn't mean to sound so "Tactless" - that's why I put the little face in there... 8)

The rules often don't "specifically disallow" something. The rules say you can do what you are specifically allowed to do.... "Concentrate on what the rules allow".

I agree, the section from B8.41 which talks about this "Units in a Sewer must move during their MPh; they cannot remain motionless, although they can return to a Sewer Location occupied during a previous turn." just seems to say that you have to move the unit into at least one new hex. I see nothing stating that you can't circle back to the same hex you started the MPh in. However, this assumption doesn't seem to be what others are stating.
"Units must move during their MPh..."

They cannot remain motionless...

They can return to a Sewer location occupied during a previous turn...

Seriously, what part of this is unclear? You can't stay where you are, you must move and you can return to a location occupied in a previous turn. All of this means that you can't do a little dance in the sewer and remain (or return) to the same location...

I was a little facetious because I thought it odd that you quoted exactly the section of the rule that covers your question and then asked if anyone could quote the rule.

Sam

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
COWTRA indeed. The rules don't specifically disallow me from changing the VC or the game length :twisted:

I find it helps to think of sewer movement as a 'teleportation' process, rather than moving hex by hex to a new Location.

Let's add to the fun - what if every other sewer location within three hexes of my sewer-moving units is occupied by an enemy unit? I can't move, but I must move...