Several Routing Questions

ZaxTrax

Recruit
Reaction score
I know this is basic, but at this point I'm pretty confused.

The way I'm reading the rules, it seems like the unit would never be eliminated for failure to route nor be able to low crawl since it would have to surrender if there's no other option. (I'm sure I'm wrong about this).

So my questions are:

1. Under what circumstances is a broken unit eliminated for failure to route (i.e. low crawl/surrender/interdiction are not options)?
2. When can it use low crawl/interdiction without being eliminated and not being forced to surrender?
3. Are there situations where the unit must surrender, or is it always the defenders option?

Thanks for your help

Dave

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ZaxTrax said:
1. Under what circumstances is a broken unit eliminated for failure to route (i.e. low crawl/surrender/interdiction are not options)?
2. When can it use low crawl/interdiction without being eliminated and not being forced to surrender?
3. Are there situations where the unit must surrender, or is it always the defenders option?
First, these are extremely open ended questions with lots of exceptions, but I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

1) A broken unit is eliminated for failure to rout (FTR from now on) whenever it ends its RtPh ADJACENT/in the same location as an enemy unit that it cannot surrender to (e.g. next to a tank/no quarter is in effect). A broken unit also is eliminated for FTR if it is otherwise forced to rout but cannot (e.g. it is in open ground within normal range of an enemy unit but cannot rout anywhere without getting closer to another enemy unit).

2) A unit can low crawl almost whenever it wants [EXC: it must get at least one hex farther from a known enemy unit and disrupted units cannot low crawl). This is useful when trying to limit the distance a broken unit is going to rout.

3) A unit must surrender whenever during its RtPh that it is ADJACENT to a known enemy unit and unable to rout away from that unit or able to rout away from that unit without suffering interdiction. The enemy unit must be able to take prisoners (e.g. a tank cannot accept surrender), and No Quarter cannot be in effect. A disrupted unit will surrender even if it could rout away.

I undoubtedly missed things, but I think I covered most of the main issues.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, basically the only time a unit will be eliminated for failure to route is if no quarter is in effect or a tank is the ADJACENT unit?

Brian W said:
ZaxTrax said:
First, these are extremely open ended questions with lots of exceptions, but I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

1) A broken unit is eliminated for failure to rout (FTR from now on) whenever it ends its RtPh ADJACENT/in the same location as an enemy unit that it cannot surrender to (e.g. next to a tank/no quarter is in effect). A broken unit also is eliminated for FTR if it is otherwise forced to rout but cannot (e.g. it is in open ground within normal range of an enemy unit but cannot rout anywhere without getting closer to another enemy unit).

2) A unit can low crawl almost whenever it wants [EXC: it must get at least one hex farther from a known enemy unit and disrupted units cannot low crawl). This is useful when trying to limit the distance a broken unit is going to rout.

3) A unit must surrender whenever during its RtPh that it is ADJACENT to a known enemy unit and unable to rout away from that unit or able to rout away from that unit without suffering interdiction. The enemy unit must be able to take prisoners (e.g. a tank cannot accept surrender), and No Quarter cannot be in effect. A disrupted unit will surrender even if it could rout away.

I undoubtedly missed things, but I think I covered most of the main issues.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Anonymous said:
So, basically the only time a unit will be eliminated for failure to route is if no quarter is in effect or a tank is the ADJACENT unit?
Not quite. As Brian said, elimination for FTR also takes places when...

"it is otherwise forced to rout but cannot (e.g. it is in open ground within normal range of an enemy unit but cannot rout anywhere without getting closer to another enemy unit)."

This can happen quite commonly.