Settle a bet for me about motion vehicles...

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
I am not arguing against playing it correctly.

But I argue against people who insist on having it played exactly this way vs. an opponent who did not know this requirement of the rule. Of course, he had the rule behind him so everything he did was strictly legit, but it would have been more sportsmanlike IMHO to explain the rule and let the other reannounce the MP expenditure for the hex-entry, which he denied.

It gained the former the destruction of a tank but gave the latter the described impression of that guy as described in my post #21 which has somewhat lingered to this day.

A matter of playing style, I suppose.

von Marwitz
Read my VBM Freeze article in the Journal (side bar "playing by the MP") and you will see why it is important you play it correctly. Out of courtesy to your opponent.
Which Journal ?
Ed

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I've found the more strict you are on yourself it will have an impact on your opponent's play and his approach to the game as well and usually enhances the enjoyment level for both as it reduces the potential for rules conflicts/misunderstandings (and there will almost always be at least one in a game). YMMV
I agree fully.
Personal discipline is the best way to generate good gaming.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Klas posited:

When I play vs someone that says e.g., "13 and 14 into Bypass and end there in Motion"
Assume that the vehicle entered a new hexside, 12 to change the VCA, 13 and 14 in bypass. The hex it is facing is OG and the vehicle has 3 MP left.

Turn bun to 17, we have to back the vehicle up to the hex before it entered bypass, enter no for 2 (to 11) but instead at least 3 and up to 5 (to get to at least 12) so that the vehicle gets to the new hexside without 3 to go to another hexside on that second go-around. Would you let that slide or would you say, sorry dude, you can enter a new hex or a new hexside and you cannot delay while in motion?

ASOP -- do your rally phase in any order, except the first MMC rally. Weapons, rallies, deploy, etc. I would not enforce that don't know anyone that does. Middle of the prep fire phase, hey you didn't repair your mmg ... go ahead (I would roll a 6 for that).
SMOKE -- yeah, you gotta do it first.
IF -- no you cannot save the shot to the DFPh and then shoot, get a final fire counter, and then take an IF.

There are just some things that don't matter and others that are part of the game -- integral. So the friendly part of the game is difficult. Part of it is friendly but much of the just has to be enforced -- with good humor, a reminder that we are not playing for money, and acknowledgement that we are all getting better and need to play more.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Klas posited:

Assume that the vehicle entered a new hexside, 12 to change the VCA, 13 and 14 in bypass. The hex it is facing is OG and the vehicle has 3 MP left.

Turn bun to 17, we have to back the vehicle up to the hex before it entered bypass, enter no for 2 (to 11) but instead at least 3 and up to 5 (to get to at least 12) so that the vehicle gets to the new hexside without 3 to go to another hexside on that second go-around. Would you let that slide or would you say, sorry dude, you can enter a new hex or a new hexside and you cannot delay while in motion?
If you start turning VCA and continue moving - then it isn't a "enter here 12, 13 and end in Motion" situation anymore. If you want to enter into Bypass, turn and end in Motion on the next hexside you have to count your MP correctly.

ASOP -- do your rally phase in any order, except the first MMC rally. Weapons, rallies, deploy, etc. I would not enforce that don't know anyone that does.
I only enforce it when it matters - i.e., when a unit has multiple choices. The thing that I think might matter most (and this I do enforce) is Repairs are done before recuperation die rolls for Shocked vehicles.

Middle of the prep fire phase, hey you didn't repair your mmg ... go ahead (I would roll a 6 for that).
I might allow it, depending on the circumstances - but I try to avoid these situation by pointing out the bust MMG to my opponent in the Rally Phase. Outside of play testing, I would not ask to do it myself.

SMOKE -- yeah, you gotta do it first.
Agree.

IF -- no you cannot save the shot to the DFPh and then shoot, get a final fire counter, and then take an IF.
Not anymore, no. Before the change in ASL Journal 7 you could.