Setting Up Vassal/VASL on a MacBook

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,
I am planning to install VASL on my new MacBook, and I was hoping that someone with experience using VASL on a MacBook could offer some advice on installing these programs or at least point me in the right direction to find relevant instructions. I have been scrolling through the pages of VASL threads in this forum, and I have been unable to locate any useful directions.

I had successfully installed these programs several years ago on a Dell PC laptop, however the installation instructions contained in the VASL website seem to be easier to understand and decipher if I were a Windows user. I'm new to the Apple OS and I am obviously still unfamiliar with the different terminologies especially with regard to file systems and installing programs.

I attempted to install these programs earlier today, and was unsuccessful in getting the program (VASL) to launch.

Thank you in advance for any advice and direction.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Install java 8 from oracle. I go to java.sun.com to spite them.
Install VASSAL from vassal site. Drag to Applications folder.
Click to launch it. see the error about unsigned apps. Go to System Preferences... Security and note the button that said VASSAL tried to open. Click the allow anyway.
double-click VASSAl to run and it should go through.
Download VASL from VASL.info and place in your Documents.
Open Module in VASSAL and choose the module file.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Install java 8 from oracle. I go to java.sun.com to spite them.
Install VASSAL from vassal site. Drag to Applications folder.
Click to launch it. see the error about unsigned apps. Go to System Preferences... Security and note the button that said VASSAL tried to open. Click the allow anyway.
double-click VASSAl to run and it should go through.
Download VASL from VASL.info and place in your Documents.
Open Module in VASSAL and choose the module file.
Thank you very much for the concise instructions. I was able to successfully install and open the VASL module on my MacBook.

One question however, I am trying to start a new game (deluxe scenario WO27, Checking Out), and I haven't been able to figure out how to make both boards I and j appear. Both of the boards appear to be available, in the set up process, however I can't remember how I selected multiple boards for a scenario as its been a few years since I've used VASL.

Thank you again for your help.