Setting Up Under Wire

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another probably-misremembered rule I can't find. Can Infantry set up under a Wire counter? It would seemingly make sense, but I can't find it stated explicitely. The only thing I can find is A12.33, which states in part: "A unit entering/exiting a hidden Fortification (including Wire but not Panjis) pays no MF/MP to do so, provided that Fortification remains hidden including Infantry/Cavalry (only) crossing a roadblock hexside." Which is further expounded upon by a Q&A:

A12.33, B26.42, B26.43, B26.44, B27.55, B27.56, G9.4, G9.422, G9.46, & G9.53
Per A12.33, “[a] unit entering/exiting a hidden Fortification pays no MF/MP to do so, provided that Fortification remains hidden including Infantry/Cavalry (only) crossing a roadblock hexside.” Infantry pays no extra cost for entering a Wire or Panji Location, but rather pays to move beneath the Wire/Panji [B26.44; G9.4]. Is this considered “entering” hidden Wire/Panji, and so costs 0 MF?
A. Infantry going beneath Wire is “Wire Exit” and thus costs no MF if the Wire is hidden. This is not the case for vehicles, however. Panjis are entirely different per the last sentence of G9.4.
Which is fine, but what if the wire becomes unhidden? Suddenly the infantry has to pay to go beneath the wire, so it gets back to the question: can infantry set up under the wire in the first place?

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given that it isn't specifically prohibited, I don't see any reason why units can't set up under wire. I think that this is supported by-

B26.4 There is no additional cost for Infantry to enter a Wire Location beyond the normal COT of that Location. However, when entering a Wire Location (regardless of phase), they are placed on top of the Wire counter (even if disembarking from a vehicle) and must remain there until they expend sufficient additional MF to move beneath the Wire [EXC: Units returned to a Wire Location after attempted entry of a concealed enemy's Location; A12.15].

If units setting up in a wire hex as opposed to entering it were to be compelled to set up above it, I think that this rule would say so.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In case this helps...from A2.2 of all places:

"...A unit in a Wire or Bridge hex should be noted by recording "Wire/" or "Bridge/" before the coordinate if beneath the Wire or Bridge counter; otherwise, it is considered on top of the counter..."