Setting a DC with Assualt movement

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Light jungle, the opponent declares assault movement for 2 then says setting a DC in the adjacent hex for 5.

Then he says it is my DFPh.

This is possible?

Never mind found the answer.

Keith

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I assume he had a leader in the Assault Moving stack ( or the leader was moving alone) to allow 6 movement points which is more than the 5 required. If the target hex was basic jungle (ie no smoke, wall...) then the movement points would only be 2 points for placement and the total 4 points instead of 5.
Anyway, you can Defensive First Fire (DFF) upon any of the movement points. You can also DFF just after he states his unit/stack has stoppped expending movement points. This last point was a "Perry sez" clarification.

For example, you can't move three hexes, say you are done moving that unit and avoid DFF against that moving unit.
Rich

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
MajorDomo is correct.

To clarify, the typical event would be.

1) Opponent declares AM and enters the ADJACENT hex for 2 MF.
1a) You may now fire on him twice with every DEFENDER, and place ROF

2) Opponent declares DC placement for 3 MF (he must have 6 MF to be allowed this).
2a) He is attacked by any ROF placed in 1a)
2b) You may attack him three times with every DEFENDER.

3) If the unit did not get Pinned/Broken/eliminated due to the ROF/DFF, the DC is Placed. If he was Pinned etc. the DC remains in his Location and will not explode this turn.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
It occured to me that you talked about Setting the DC, not Placing it, which is what I explained above.

If he wants to Set it, he must do so in the Location he started the MPh, using Hazardous Movement and spend all his MF - and can therefore not use Assault Movement.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
i think many newbs misinterpret AM and it's possibilities particularly in combination.

In a game of Fortress Cassino i found my 838 surrounded on 4 sides by Kiwi 457's, my oppo seemed pleased at my iminent demise as this squad was really holding up his advance.

My mph, i place smoke in my own location (1MF) and place a DC onto one of his squads (surviving all first and final fire) (3MF). In the advance phase the DC KIA's a squad, my advancing fire breaks another and i advance in for a CC ambush, kill and withdrawal.

I think this squad had been on the benzedrines.

b e n

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Ole Boe said:
MajorDomo is correct.

To clarify, the typical event would be.

1) Opponent declares AM and enters the ADJACENT hex for 2 MF.
1a) You may now fire on him twice with every DEFENDER, and place ROF
Ole Boe said:
2a) He is attacked by any ROF placed in 1a)
By "ROF" above I assume the mean Residual FP and not Rate Of Fire ?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why would placing a DC into an adjacent light jungle hex cost three MP anyway? It should only cost two.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, I meant Residual Fire but inaccurately typed ROF, sorry. As Ole pointed out, I assumed that you meant "placed" DC as a set DC can only be set in a unit's hex not an adjacent hex.
Rich

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
MajorDomo said:
Yep, I meant Residual Fire but inaccurately typed ROF, sorry.
:?: I thought it was me that wrote ROF when I meant RFP, but thanks for taking my blame MajorDomo. Only a pity that everyone can see that I did write ROF above :lol:

...and, Yes, I'm aware of the edit button, but I think that would make Klas' post a little too confusing, so I'll let the error stand.