Set DC demolition

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does a HIP hero need to pass a NTC to blow up a set DC ( hero is the DC controller)?

If he checks with a "9", I assume he stays concealed and HIP if he fails TC.

Thanks,

Rich

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The hero would have to be Japanese controlling an A-T Set DC, or otherwise allowed by SSR. Neither the TC (nor the detonation if a A-T Set DC) is concealment loss.

JR

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Surely it can just be a normal hero, no need for it to be Japanese.

A HIP THH is a different kettle of fish though.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Surely it can just be a normal hero, no need for it to be Japanese.

A HIP THH is a different kettle of fish though.
An A-T Set DC is a Japanese capability [G1.6121]. The controlling unit can be any Infantry, including both plain heroes and (HIP) T-H heroes. The capability might be granted to other nationalities by SSR of course.

JR

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
JR.... Just sayin, think they were referring to just a standard Set DC not an AT Set DC
And as Mr I says over there in Sunny Perth. It just has to be an Infantry unit
I see nothing that prevents a Hero doing it, and yup I say a 9 to pass NTC (assuming not wounded)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JR.... Just sayin, think they were referring to just a standard Set DC not an AT Set DC
And as Mr I says over there in Sunny Perth. It just has to be an Infantry unit
I see nothing that prevents a Hero doing it, and yup I say a 9 to pass NTC (assuming not wounded)
I think the only way a HIP hero could end up as controller of a Set DC other than a Japanese with a A-T Set DC is by SSR. Once we are talking about an SSR, I'd like to know a little about the text of the SSR before I continue.

JR

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The HIP/SSR bit would hold for any unit as a Set DC prior to play is only by SSR.

So I see where you are going.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The HIP/SSR bit would hold for any unit as a Set DC prior to play is only by SSR.
A HIP Japanese hero/A-T hero could end up with an A-T Set DC without a SSR. Both HIP and A-T Set DCs are covered by standard rules and do not require a SSR. The one thing that is troubling is that while taking a Set DC TC is covered in the concealment loss rules (as non-concealment loss), actually detonating one is explicitly called out as non-concealment loss for A-T Set DCs, implying the two actions are not necessarily the same. So perhaps in the limited sense of the question, failing a Set DC TC (which would not result in a detonation attempt) is not concealment loss.

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
G1.6121 .. It may be detonated only by the one Infantry unit (even a hidden T-H Hero) predesignated on paper during setup as allowed to do so; detonating it is not a "?"-loss activity.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Red Barricades CG rules have a provision for buying Set DCs as Fortifications (pre-scenario), but I don't see anything about who the detonating unit can be in this case (but then, you don't start a CG Date with a Hero - so you could not try to designate a hero before the game starts).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
G1.6121 .. It may be detonated only by the one Infantry unit (even a hidden T-H Hero) predesignated on paper during setup as allowed to do so; detonating it is not a "?"-loss activity.
I should have looked at Q&A sooner:

q&a said:
A23.3 & A23.6 Do these actions by themselves cause Concealment loss: Placing a DC? Detonating a Placed DC? Throwing a DC? Detonating a Set DC?
A. Assuming they are performed in LOS of a Good Order unit within 16 hexes, placing or throwing a DC is an “other” action that cause “?” loss. Detonation is not. {4}

JR