Serious Problem with the Atlantic-Wall

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Mark, as you've just finished the latest version, new bugs are discovered ;)

This turn I bombed some Atlantic-Wall forts with my RN... and took zero losses! Well, might have been lucky but I remembered that this happened before so I did some tests. It turned out that the forts equipped with the icon with the long gun won't fire back while the forts equipped with the icon with the short gun will fire back if bombarded !

I suggest changing all forts to the short-gun version :)

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
There's a problem with that suggested "fix". By converting the units to fixed artillery (the short gunned icon) they will only have the ability to fire in their own turn, if they are directly adjacent to the naval unit in question.

Only the two coastal artillery unit icons allow naval units to be targeted at range for bombardment.

This may seem irrelevant, given the scale of EA's hexes, but switching icons isn't necessarily a "one size fits all" solution.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was wondering why/how you've been seeming to blow the hell out of those forts turn after turn and not take any damage that I could tell...

So,

STOP IT! lol

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree with Mantis.

As for Jamiam's remarks, since firing with a zero move unit always eats your turn I don't think it's a major concern.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Neely
Agree with Mantis.

As for Jamiam's remarks, since firing with a zero move unit always eats your turn I don't think it's a major concern.
My comments were more directed to observers who might look at this for inclusion into other scenarios. For example, Two Weeks in Normandy. The first couple of turns, the Germans might want to blast some naval units, and simply hunker down and dig in, given no glaring overextensions by the Allied player. If the coastal artillery used the wrong icon (the short gun, as indicated by Kraut) they would be useless for firing at range.

Granted, that in EA, the Axis player is usually a bit more involved and won't want to waste combat rounds attacking any naval units that are foolish enough, or unlucky enough to be caught out in the open. Especially when they can do it more effectively with air units.