Sergeants! on the Eastern front review

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
S: otEf at LB Games
S: otEf at BGG.com
Images borrowed from BGG because I'm too lazy to make my own. ;)

I've had the game for a few months and finaly played it with my dad tonight(10/03/05), We played the first scenario over the course of 2 hours and 10 minutes or so, I assume that playtime would be much less for more experienced players.("Ok my turn is over now" "No, That was just opfire")

Scale is 1 hex = 100 yards and 1 chit = 1 man, Kind of odd but if you think of them as squads it feels more realistic. (Which this game is not)

Units range from Riflemen to AT weapons(No tanks though :( ) to Infantry Guns, There are no stacking limits but most of the time there never where more then 3 or 4 units in a single hex.

Overall the game played fast after we figured out the best ways to move and conduct combat, Units can move ether one or two hexes (one or none if they are pinned) and can fire and move one hex/move one hex and fire at a -2 penalty, Heavy and light terrain add a -1 and -2 respectivly to attacks on any units in the hex, They also provide concealment, Eg a unit in light cover can only be seen a a range of 4 hexes and a unit in heavy cover can only be seen if the other unit is one hex away, If there is a NCO in the same hex that they start there move in and if they move with the NCO they can move two hexes instead of one.

Combat is resolved with dice and unit and terain modifiers, An example would be some Soviet R0 troops manageing to take out some Heer A2 because of a bad dice roll by the German player, But if the Heer unit was a A3 even if the R0 rolled a 6 and the Heer unit rolled a 1 the Heer unit would only be pinned, If a MG takes out one unit it can fire at the guy stacked under it, Explosive weapons (Includes flame throwers) like the Panzershrike and the Inf gun fire at ALL the units in a hex.

The Chits are well produced but you may need an X-Acto knife to cut some of them out or trim the burrs off of them them.

The only complaint we had was that the map was too small, I plan on going to Kinkos and having them blow it up about 150% - 200%, The dice are a bit small but I did get 4 instead of 2 so I threw two of them in my Ogre box.

Overall? I would rate the game a 9 out of 10, Combat is fast and easy and a fun time was had by all, This would be a good introductory war game.

Last edited: