Sell me on Xbox 360

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Gentleman! I am an old PC gamer (mostly FPS and Arkham Asylum, sometimes EU III), but am sick and tired of constantly upgrading my hardware to run new games. So I've decided to buy a console.

Now, tell me that it is a bad idea/good idea and that choosing Xbox 360 over PS3 is a good idea/bad idea for a guy like me. Please ;).

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentleman! I am an old PC gamer (mostly FPS and Arkham Asylum, sometimes EU III), but am sick and tired of constantly upgrading my hardware to run new games. So I've decided to buy a console.

Now, tell me that it is a bad idea/good idea and that choosing Xbox 360 over PS3 is a good idea/bad idea for a guy like me. Please ;).
It's not really a good/bad situation, just a broadening of options. :) I am curious why you are upgrading your PC so much. My PC is five years old at this point, and the only thing I've upgraded (once) is the video card (to a budget model at that). Granted, I have watched my graphics settings slip from ultra to high to my current medium-low (for shooters; I have no issues with strategy games), but with the lone exception of Battlefield 3 :(, my rig is able to run every game out there at the moment (all praise to the 'console retardation effect' :D). As long as you aren't determined to run everything at max settings, a decent rig should be able to keep up with most games without too frequent upgrades.

As for XBOX versus PS3, I believe the XBOX is cheaper, and is definitely more popular with a huge market share. However, the PS3 has some great exclusive titles, like MLB The Show, Resistance 3, and CCP's pending Dust 514. Then again, XBox Live seems to be more popular with indie developers than the PS Network at the moment.

I would have to do some shopping around, but if I was serious about getting a console, I think I would lean towards the PS3 a bit at this point.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
It's not really a good/bad situation, just a broadening of options. :) I am curious why you are upgrading your PC so much. My PC is five years old at this point, and the only thing I've upgraded (once) is the video card (to a budget model at that). Granted, I have watched my graphics settings slip from ultra to high to my current medium-low (for shooters; I have no issues with strategy games), but with the lone exception of Battlefield 3 :(, my rig is able to run every game out there at the moment (all praise to the 'console retardation effect' :D). As long as you aren't determined to run everything at max settings, a decent rig should be able to keep up with most games without too frequent upgrades.

As for XBOX versus PS3, I believe the XBOX is cheaper, and is definitely more popular with a huge market share. However, the PS3 has some great exclusive titles, like MLB The Show, Resistance 3, and CCP's pending Dust 514. Then again, XBox Live seems to be more popular with indie developers than the PS Network at the moment.

I would have to do some shopping around, but if I was serious about getting a console, I think I would lean towards the PS3 a bit at this point.
Hey, Scott, thanks!

As to why I have the need of upgrading my PC, let me share with you my thought pattern :) - if I have a PC, I expect PC max details, if the machine can't afford it, she has to be upgraded. I know, kinda cheesy, but can't help myself :). Plus I've realized that, travelling every now and then, it would be good to buy myself a netbook/laptop, and having two PC's in one house... I'd gladly do this, but I'm not rich enough (yet... :devious:), to say the least, so I have to manage my budget, sell this to buy that, and stuff.

So I guess it's most set around economics, or being handy. No ideology behind my move, really. :)

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As to why I have the need of upgrading my PC, let me share with you my thought pattern :) - if I have a PC, I expect PC max details, if the machine can't afford it, she has to be upgraded. I know, kinda cheesy, but can't help myself :).
So you require that your PC is always updated with the last bits that are for sale to give you more detail. But you are fine with a console that shows you only a fraction of the detail of your old PC from years back? That doesn't make any sense.

Plus I've realized that, travelling every now and then, it would be good to buy myself a netbook/laptop, and having two PC's in one house... I'd gladly do this, but I'm not rich enough (yet... :devious:), to say the least, so I have to manage my budget, sell this to buy that, and stuff.

So I guess it's most set around economics, or being handy. No ideology behind my move, really. :)
Good luck taking your xbox to travel.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
So you require that your PC is always updated with the last bits that are for sale to give you more detail. But you are fine with a console that shows you only a fraction of the detail of your old PC from years back? That doesn't make any sense.

Good luck taking your xbox to travel.
Like I said, I have higher expectations for PC, than for console.

And I'll say that taking xbox to travel is quite easier than having a PC to travel. And I did not say, that I want to take a console anywhere.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
And progress on the XBOX / PS3 decision? Developing a preference yet?
Yes, I guess it'll be Xbox 360 - in my homeland both the Xbox games and consoles are cheaper, than PS3 ones. When I'll buy it (probably next week or so), I'll gladly look for an opponent/co-player (Scott, you're first on the line of fire ;)). Thakns again!

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Did you take the plunge? What are your thoughts?
Hey, I was just thinking about asking you a question :) I've heard that there's new Xbox on the horizon, but can't find a reliable source to confirm this news.

So I am decided to buy Xbox, but don't know if I should wait and buy new version, or just stick with 360, cause those rumours about new console release any time soon are just rumours.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I doubt very much you will see a new Xbox before 2013 at the earliest. Most of those rumors were just rumors as far as I can tell. I know that Sony said there is no new PS on the horizon any time soon. MS has been playing their cards closer to their vests, but 2012 seems out of the question from what I read.

Summation here: http://www.newxbox720.com/xbox-720-release-date

Update - May 10, 2012
Rumors have been circulating online that the Xbox 720 could be released earlier than expected. IGN, reported Thursday (5/10/12), that the assembling of the new Xbox has already started in Austin, TX. It's reported that the manufacturer of Microsoft has finished testing the market, software, and hardware of the Xbox 720. IGN disclosed with the completed testing phase, they dubbed the console "Durango".

The Xbox 720 is supposed to have AMD's latest 6670 chip that supports DirectX11, multi-display, 3D, and among others. Xbox 720 is suppose to feature a 16 core CPU powered by IBM. The extra processors is rumored to offer "off the charts" graphics. The new processor will be able to render 3D graphics faster and provide a better game play.
Just read this now. Hmm. Still, I doubt we will see it before next year. But what do I know? :D

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I doubt very much you will see a new Xbox before 2013 at the earliest. Most of those rumors were just rumors as far as I can tell. I know that Sony said there is no new PS on the horizon any time soon. MS has been playing their cards closer to their vests, but 2012 seems out of the question from what I read.

Summation here: http://www.newxbox720.com/xbox-720-release-date

Just read this now. Hmm. Still, I doubt we will see it before next year. But what do I know? :D
So I guess I'm going to buy a 360+ Arkham Asylum (passed this one on the PC, but definitely want to play more) and Arkham City this weekend :)