Self-Rally

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to confirm something, Heat of Battle never applies to any self-rally attempt, as per A15.1. Field Promotion (A18.11, A10.63) only applies to the first MMC rally attempt of a player's own turn.

Thus, a MMC with self-rally capability (a boxed morale) who is not the first MMC attempting rally and who rolls an original DR of 2 on a self-rally attempt gets neither HoB nor Field Promotion and thus no effect beyond simply rallying. Right?

Pete

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct.

As far as I know, the only MMC which have a broken morale level encased in a square are Finns and crews; and remember crews are immune to HoB anyway [A15.1], although they don't seem to be immune to Field Promotion.

FrankH.

Reaction score
pryoung said:
Just to confirm something, Heat of Battle never applies to any self-rally attempt, as per A15.1. Field Promotion (A18.11, A10.63) only applies to the first MMC rally attempt of a player's own turn.

Thus, a MMC with self-rally capability (a boxed morale) who is not the first MMC attempting rally and who rolls an original DR of 2 on a self-rally attempt gets neither HoB nor Field Promotion and thus no effect beyond simply rallying. Right?

Pete
That's interesting, and different from how I had played it. So even a broken Infantry leader, if in a location without a Good Order friendly leader, that rolls an Original 2 Rally DR is NA to Heat of Battle when at the same time an Original 12 Rally DR results in Fate. That makes it so much harder to promote leaders and in German / Russian face-offs, much better for the Russians than how I had been playing it (i. e. this makes fewer Russian Berserk results).

A broken leader rallying with the aid of a Good Order friendly leader is subject to HOB, as this is not self rally. Very important in campaign games.

Frank

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Sure, and remember that HoB does not always lead to positive results : surrender can also occur!
And berserk is quite often more a liability than an asset...