Seeking FtF opponents, Leeds/Yorkshire, UK

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all,

This mostly repeats my post in the New Members forum, so apologies for duplication if you've read both. I'm a veteran wargamer and SL player now getting back into ASL after many years' absence (used to work with Keith Poulter on The Wargamer magazine before he left for the States). I have all of the AH/MMP ASL modules and lots of other scenarios, though have yet to explore the infinite world of Critical Hit, Bounding Fire etc expansions in any depth.

I'm looking for opponents, initially for ftf play. I'll probably get into VASL later, but need to get myself fully set up on that first.

Based in Leeds, UK. Willing to travel (up to about 50 miles) for ftf play. All ideas/suggestions welcome.

Any takers? Thanks - Andy Bagley

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Andy,

I hope you found someone! I'd suggest contacting Pete Phillips at http://www.vftt.co.uk/index.asp
He's likely to know if there are any local opponents - although I think he's busy with Dissertation stuff so you might not get an immediate reply.

There is an opponent finder on his website...but I don't recognise any of the names around Leeds except yours -which suggests they are no longer active but attended Tourneys something like 20 years ago.

The only people I know within your 50 mile radius who are currently active are Martin Mayers (who is organising a tournament in Blackpool in November) and Matthew Ellis both in Stockport. Matt is retired but has a lot of stuff on for the next month I think.

There are a few of us in Liverpool (and a wargames club where games can stay up permanently) but it's probably a bit far...but if you are prepared to travel, happy to play almost anything (love PTO but maybe not if you're getting back into the swing of things). I have a lot of 3rd party stuff and most of the core stuff.

Of course there may well be players I don't know about - so best of luck.

Craig

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Yeah I'm in Heywood Andy. North East Manchester so about 30 minutes from Leeds.

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Andy,

I hope you found someone! I'd suggest contacting Pete Phillips at http://www.vftt.co.uk/index.asp
He's likely to know if there are any local opponents - although I think he's busy with Dissertation stuff so you might not get an immediate reply.

There is an opponent finder on his website...but I don't recognise any of the names around Leeds except yours -which suggests they are no longer active but attended Tourneys something like 20 years ago.

The only people I know within your 50 mile radius who are currently active are Martin Mayers (who is organising a tournament in Blackpool in November) and Matthew Ellis both in Stockport. Matt is retired but has a lot of stuff on for the next month I think.

There are a few of us in Liverpool (and a wargames club where games can stay up permanently) but it's probably a bit far...but if you are prepared to travel, happy to play almost anything (love PTO but maybe not if you're getting back into the swing of things). I have a lot of 3rd party stuff and most of the core stuff.

Of course there may well be players I don't know about - so best of luck.

Craig
Hi Craig,

Many thanks for getting back to me on this. I met Martin when I visited the Writtle convention in June (were you there?) and will follow up with him. I'm also booked for Blackpool in November.

Liverpool may not be too far for me - if we can find a time when the M62 is not clogged with traffic! I'll get back to you via conversation/PM (I'm new to GameSquad so let me know if this doesn't come through)

Regards

Andy

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah I'm in Heywood Andy. North East Manchester so about 30 minutes from Leeds.
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your response, Heywood is certainly "within range" (subject to M62 traffic!). I'll follow up via conversation/PM - I'm new to GameSquad so let me know if this doesn't work.

Regards

Andy

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hey Andy,

Check out Dave Murray on these forums. He's near Hull and a lovely chap.

B e n

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Ben,

Thanks for this suggestion. However, I've searched for Dave on these forums in every way I can think of but can't find any trace. Any clues? Does he use another name?

Andy