"Seeing the Elephant" Tourney

JML

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I have sent set up file to my opponent.
Those who have not recieved starting email, remember to check your spam folder as i found my email there.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The "game" file was sent to the Allied players:

Ada
Antonius
Blade91
Cherper
Duck_feet
Gen Schmaeter
Irishwop67
JML
Joe CZ
Rickie
Setante

All other players (Axis) were sent informational files & briefings.

clements

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Palantir, I'm an idiot. I missed the fact that you didn't have my e-mail. I just sent you a PM on the topic but I'm guessing that I'm too late. Its a shame since I was one of the first signed up and the start was so delayed. If there is any way to squeeze me in, please let me know.

Bob

Last edited:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since we are one player short (Lone Wolf Texan has not sent me his Email) we have room for another "Newbie" to play vs Clements.

First one to post here that qualifies as a Newbie & is registered & has a Email address posted is in. This will remain open only until 9/13.

weags2

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think I have an opponent anymore

I just got an e-mail from my opponent (Irishwop67) stating "Im sorry but after looking at the CMBB Tourney file i think im going to drop out. I just think its a tad to big for me, i have already notified the SZO Staff. Hope you will get another opponent soon to fill in. Take Care".:angry:

He stated he has also notified you. Hope you can drum up an opponent for me. Thanks again for everything you guys are doing.

WeAgs2

EDITED- New opponent will be Clements!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
file naming conventions

I'm posting this here since it applies to both sides. Thi is first time I've played CM PBEM. The file naming seems confusing to me. My opponent and I have exchanged a few files. I started the naming convention using the 001, the second file I sent to him, I named 002 thinking that would make since, but actually, it was still turn 1, and in fact when he returned it to me still using the 002 name which seemed right, it was the turn 1 action phase, I watched action and returned to him for him to watch turn 1 action and plot his turn 2, manual-wise I just completed step 5 in PBEM sequence, but the file name I used was ....002action.

This doesnt seem very intuitive to me. I feel like this should have been named 001final or 001action or something.

I read your doc about file naming, but could you go into a bit more detail on file naming conventions commonly used?

I've also invited my opponent to let me know if he has a better way to do this.

Also, I tend to be pretty cautious, so I tend to save all of my files (both recieved and sent). Is there any benefit to this? i.e. are thes of any use in event of file corruption?

Sorry for questions that probably seem pretty obvious to veterans.

Rick

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no one correct way to name files.

However, allow me to offer some suggestions from experience. Don't worry about turns; instead use a "numbering" system that allows each of you to identify each file in its order. I have found it easiest to use a numeric based system in which the files numbered (in smaller games--in larger ones [not applicable here] I start with 001) XXX_game_T01, 02, 03, 04, etc. in order. I have also found it easier for one and only one player to also use a letter designator to further identify each file he creates. For example, 01, 02a, 03, 04a. So if I am the second player I can instantly recognize each file I have created by knowing that it has an even numbered file and ends in "a". If I am the first player, I know that each file I created has an odd number and no letter follows that number. KISS! This is especially helpful when you are playing more than one game.

John Powderly

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally...

I finally completed my set-up and sent the file back to ADA. That's a tricky map...placing the units required lots of decisions.

And now, I wait...

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When playing PBEM's I normally keep the last two full game turns or about 6 emails. That way I have the latest turns "backed up" but don't have 110 email files on my computer. For those of you only playing one game that may not seem like much...wait until you have 7,8 or 10+ games going.

And as far as returning game files I check my emails to see which ones I have sent return emails to. Helps me not skip over anybody.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

MR

Rickie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
question on keepting track of things

OK, antoher general question, now that I'm actually playing an email game, for me at least, it seems to be easy to lose track of what pahse of a turn I'm getting from my opponent. I've adopted a naming scheme where we simply increment numbers, to keep things simple. But when I get a turn, I have a hard time rembering if I'm going to just watch, or if I'm going to watch and plot.

The computer takes of it for me of course, but I'd like to know ahead of time so I can budget my time better. I'f I'm just going to watch a replay, I can do that and zip that file back to my opponent in nothing flat, but if I'm going to actually have to think about what I'm doing I need a little more time (I'm not one of these 3 minutes and I'm done movers, I'm old and slow).

So, question: Do you vets use any chklist of current email games to keep track of phase youre in (or some other aid?)?

And, on a related note, can you save an email turn in middle of your phase, then load it later and continue on (i.e, if somthing like well supper interupts it?

I'm not sure how you vets manage to not get confused when you're playing multiple email CMBB games. I have to admit, I am looking forward to getting a turn in the mail (though that will probably stop quick when it means I'm getting shot at).

Thanks

Rick

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Every PBEM game goes in a three phase cycle. Where you start within that three phase cycle depends on who began the game. and of course depends upon when you start counting them. The three phases are:

1. View movie and return the file you generate to your opponent
2. Plot orders only (there is no movie to watch) and return
3. View movie, then plot orders and return

You will generally see that the phase 2 files are smaller than in the other two phases, as it does not contain a movie. All other things being equal (meaning a rough equivalence in movement and combat), the phase 1 & 3 files should be roughly the same size.

After the initial force placement files, the first player (who also did his initial force placement first) will plot orders only--this will be the third file exchanged in the game. The second player will then plot his orders, hit go and generate a movie file that the first player will get to see when he receives file number four from the second player.

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Every PBEM game goes in a three phase cycle. Where you start within that three phase cycle depends on who began the game. and of course depends upon when you start counting them. The three phases are:

1. View movie and return the file you generate to your opponent
2. Plot orders only (there is no movie to watch) and return
3. View movie, then plot orders and return
And why is the 2nd phase needed? Why can't we just view the results of the previous turn and plot moves for the next?

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And why is the 2nd phase needed? Why can't we just view the results of the previous turn and plot moves for the next?
The watch and then plot alternates between players each cycle. It was a way to make the system more tamper proof I think...

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

MR

ada

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Our game with John has ended. Axis minor victory. I've submitted report to the ladder.

WTG John ;)