Sectional Artillery Question

Compass Rose

Reaction score
I was looking over the scenario list from Atlanta and I noticed that some of them have "Sectional Artillery". I looked over the game notes and user manual however, I'm not finding any info about what this is, or more than likely, I'm missing it. Could someone let me know what this is, or better yet, direct me to where I can read about it.

Also, if a battle is listed, followed by a weather var. battle, followed by a sectional artillery var. battle, does the sectional artillery battle also includes the weather var. in its battle?

An example of this is:

097-Atlanta July 22 Historical

098-Atlanta July 22 Weather

099-Atlanta July 22 Sectional

So, does that mean that 099 is the same as 098 with the addition of sectional artillery?

Thanks

krmiller_usa

Reaction score
I believe only those scenarios with Weather or w in their name use the weather feature. Normally they will use a pdt with _weather in the name, you can see this by opening the scn file with any text editor which will show something like

15_Battle of Atlanta_sub.map
Campaign Atlanta.oob
Atlanta1864_weather.pdt

showing the map, pdt and oob files used by the scenario.

As to the sectional artillery versions, these have the guns broken down into 1-3 gun sections instead of having them in batteries. Makes for more pieces to move but when used with the optional artillery ammo by gun rule eliminates the problem of the larger batteries doing more damage for the same ammo use. It's probably more realistic also as batteries were often broken into sections and distributed between the regiments.

If you want to use the weather rules in a Sectional scenario you can open the scn file in the editor, do a Save As and save it under another name, add a _w at the end of the name for example. Then open the new file with a text editor and change the pdt file name to match the one used in the weather version of the scenario.